User avatar
Dec 31st 07 7:40 am
Posts: 29
Joined: Oct 8th 07 8:27 pm
Location: St. louis

"renaissance of tea" DVD

by Ian » Dec 31st 07 7:40 am

So I got this dvd for X-mas, and subsequently watched it shortly thereafter...and I must say that it was very nice. The production quality left me a little lightheaded, as the camera work may have been done by a toddler. Nevertheless, the film's informative nature and delicious subject matter held my attention through to the end. The viewer is treated to several gongfu sessions, each one using a different type of tea...as the brewing parameters, vessels, and tools are briefly explained. The extras are amazing; two breviloquent featurettes, one showcasing the incredible art of Chitfu Yu (whose pen-and-ink artwork is absoloutely INSANE), and the other excursion focusing on acclaimed musician and erhu soloist Wang Guowei, whose sublime playing provides the soundscape to the DVD. He's good, but he wears a dress.

Woops, I think I just posted something that wasn't a question. Let's fix that....

Does anyone know where I can get a decent travelling teaset and gaiwan...you know, the kind that comes in a little closeable protective case?

-Ian
I probably just said something...how do you say.....hmmm, what's the opposite of "groundbreaking"?

User avatar
Dec 31st 07 6:20 pm
Posts: 1459
Joined: Dec 20th 06 8:10 pm

by Mary R » Dec 31st 07 6:20 pm

Mmm...I think the e-bay stores usually have something like that at a good price. Yunnan Sourcing's are about $10 each before shipping.

User avatar
Feb 5th 08 4:18 pm
Posts: 402
Joined: Jun 16th 05 1:35 am
Location: Norristown, PA

by jogrebe » Feb 5th 08 4:18 pm

You can make your own travel case. Just wrap up your gaiwan in a soft cloth and put it inside a small case or box.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

User avatar
Feb 5th 08 7:43 pm
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: "renaissance of tea" DVD

by Salsero » Feb 5th 08 7:43 pm

Ian wrote:Woops, I think I just posted something that wasn't a question.
That something is called a review and I think most people love to read them on the forum. I know I do! Thanks.
Ian wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a decent travelling teaset and gaiwan...you know, the kind that comes in a little closeable protective case?
While I don't know where you can buy such a thing, I know that Mike Petro owns one of the most deluxe versions around. I imagine he made it himself.

http://www.pu-erh.net/static.php?StaticID=10

User avatar
Feb 5th 08 7:50 pm
Posts: 1459
Joined: Dec 20th 06 8:10 pm

by Mary R » Feb 5th 08 7:50 pm

Holy mother of all that is awesome...I want that!

It looks like he just used a standard hard suitcase and carved that foam to fit everything. That's easily done. I think I've seen foam like that sold at gunshops/outdoor equipment places. I'll have to look into that.

'Course, if I did make something like that, I'd never hear the end of it from the family.

User avatar
Feb 6th 08 5:33 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Feb 6th 08 5:33 am

Clutzy Mary frequents gun shops...EVERYBODY DUCK! :shock: :shock: :shock:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

User avatar
Feb 6th 08 10:28 am
Posts: 236
Joined: Feb 2nd 08 12:08 am
Location: Oslo

by Selaphiel » Feb 6th 08 10:28 am

I think my family will have me locked up if I come home with that thing :roll:

What`s the price tag on that thing?

User avatar
Feb 7th 08 1:48 am
Posts: 591
Joined: Apr 22nd 07 3:01 am
Location: Indianapolis IN

by augie » Feb 7th 08 1:48 am

I think I need a 2nd job . . .

User avatar
Feb 7th 08 3:14 am
Posts: 727
Joined: Dec 23rd 07 2:02 am
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 7th 08 3:14 am

I've seen this DVD. It's not bad, really.

I'd especially recommend it for people new to Asian teaware and loose teas because of the demonstrations and "how to" material.

User avatar
Feb 7th 08 3:28 am
Posts: 402
Joined: Jun 16th 05 1:35 am
Location: Norristown, PA

by jogrebe » Feb 7th 08 3:28 am

padre wrote:I've seen this DVD. It's not bad, really.

I'd especially recommend it for people new to Asian teaware and loose teas because of the demonstrations and "how to" material.
I agree I got the DVD as a birthday gift this year and I also found it to be really good.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

User avatar
Feb 7th 08 6:35 am
Posts: 1548
Joined: Jun 8th 07 5:00 pm
Location: 3161 A.D.

by Wesli » Feb 7th 08 6:35 am

Good beginner's DVD.