Feb 21st 08 11:06 pm
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 21st 08 11:00 pm

Where to buy Chinese kettles?

by fpierre1 » Feb 21st 08 11:06 pm

Does anyone know where you can buy a "chinese" style kettle- it's a small stainless kettle sitting on a small hot plate... in the US?
Thanks!

User avatar
Feb 21st 08 11:19 pm
Posts: 1247
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

by JRS22 » Feb 21st 08 11:19 pm

Is this the kind of kettle you're referring to?

http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000Sto ... gory_ID=18


Not as glamorous but really useful is the kettle sold here at Adagio. It has a variable temperature control which is great for green tea - and it's UL listed. (not an employee - just a happy customer)

User avatar
Feb 21st 08 11:45 pm
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th 07 9:13 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 21st 08 11:45 pm

I have the one from Imperial Tea Court, and I really like it. It's not grounded though (though it does come with an optional grounding wire), if that matters to you. I thought it was a little sketchy at first, but no disasters so far-- just remember not to take it with you to the bathtub. :shock:
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Feb 21st 08 11:51 pm
Posts: 1978
Joined: Jan 14th 08 11:01 pm
Location: CA

by Pentox » Feb 21st 08 11:51 pm

I've been wondering about the one from Imperial Tea for a while now. How quickly does it boil water? I've been considering getting a second kettle for boiling water for black teas.

Feb 22nd 08 12:19 am
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 21st 08 11:00 pm

that's it!

by fpierre1 » Feb 22nd 08 12:19 am

Yes, that's the one! Thanks!
JRS22 wrote:Is this the kind of kettle you're referring to?

http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000Sto ... gory_ID=18


Not as glamorous but really useful is the kettle sold here at Adagio. It has a variable temperature control which is great for green tea - and it's UL listed. (not an employee - just a happy customer)

User avatar
Feb 22nd 08 2:08 am
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th 07 9:13 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 22nd 08 2:08 am

Pentox wrote:I've been wondering about the one from Imperial Tea for a while now. How quickly does it boil water? I've been considering getting a second kettle for boiling water for black teas.
It's not the fastest, but the re-boil feature keeps it constantly around boiling so it's great for gongfu or just multiple steeps. I've never measured exactly how low the temp gets before the kettle kicks in again, though.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com