Kokeicha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 24th, '08, 03:50

Kokeicha

by Photiou » Jun 24th, '08, 03:50

Could not find a thread here about kokeicha (needle shaped leaves made from green tea paste/matcha). So have you tried it? Was it any good? Where did you buy it? ... etc.

Jun 24th, '08, 09:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 24th, '08, 09:37

I have a sample from here but I haven't tried it yet - nice pic though and some add'l info:

http://www.nmteaco.com/Kokeicha_p_7-225.html

Jun 24th, '08, 10:25

by chamekke » Jun 24th, '08, 10:25

So this tea is made from tea leaves that have been ground into a powder, with that powder then being reconstituted back into needles (pseudo-leaves)?

I'm intrigued. Do you steep this tea and remove the "leaves"? Or are they intended to eventually dissolve into the hot water?

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jun 24th, '08, 21:04

by Victoria » Jun 24th, '08, 21:04

chamekke wrote:So this tea is made from tea leaves that have been ground into a powder, with that powder then being reconstituted back into needles (pseudo-leaves)?
Correct.
I'm intrigued. Do you steep this tea and remove the "leaves"? Or are they intended to eventually dissolve into the hot water?
Having it now, the leaves did not dissolve. The dry leaf smells like matcha. The liquid is gold not green. The taste is of a mild Chinese green, as close as I can tell. Other nuances are lost on me, I will forward to Chip for his expert evaluation.

Jun 24th, '08, 21:12

by Chip » Jun 24th, '08, 21:12

Victoria wrote:
chamekke wrote:So this tea is made from tea leaves that have been ground into a powder, with that powder then being reconstituted back into needles (pseudo-leaves)?
Correct.
Having it now, the leaves did not dissolve. The dry leaf smells like matcha. The liquid is gold not green. The taste is of a mild Chinese green, as close as I can tell. Other nuances are lost on me, I will forward to Chip for his expert evaluation.
So called "spaghetti tea!"

I had it one time as a sample around 6 or so years ago. I thought it was lighter green color?

If resteeped it does turn to mush.

Jun 24th, '08, 21:45

by Victoria » Jun 24th, '08, 21:45

Chip wrote: If resteeped it does turn to mush.
No worries there.

Jun 25th, '08, 00:40

by chamekke » Jun 25th, '08, 00:40

Mush tea!

Sounds good Image

Jun 26th, '08, 02:06

by Sam. » Jun 26th, '08, 02:06

Chip wrote:I will then ask the expert????? :D

So called "spaghetti tea!"

I had it one time as a sample around 6 or so years ago. I thought it was lighter green color?

I was going to say the exact same thing -- spaghetti tea! I'd never heard of this, it sounds very interesting. What's the purpose of forming matcha into faux tea leaves?

Also, anyone else envisioning alphabet or stars & moons shaped tea?!

Jun 26th, '08, 02:27

by Chip » Jun 26th, '08, 02:27

Sam. wrote:
Chip wrote:So called "spaghetti tea!"

I was going to say the exact same thing -- spaghetti tea! I'd never heard of this, it sounds very interesting. What's the purpose of forming matcha into faux tea leaves?
Also, anyone else envisioning alphabet or stars & moons shaped tea?!
You brew it instead of whisking it...so, easier to prepare. It is also not high grade matcha...if it is truly matcha. I think it is a byproduct tea if memory serves me right.

Jun 26th, '08, 11:16

by chamekke » Jun 26th, '08, 11:16

Sam. wrote:Also, anyone else envisioning alphabet or stars & moons shaped tea?!
OMG! "They're always after me Lucky Charms!"

Yes. Yes, I am visualizing that :D

P.S. It really wouldn't surprise me if some Japanese tea producer did press the powdered tea into various pretty shapes. They do it already with incense (sadly, this shaped incense - called inko - is not sold outside Japan as far as I know).

Jun 27th, '08, 03:30

by Pentox » Jun 27th, '08, 03:30

I've had it. I really did not like it very much. It's a novelty of shape that doesn't mean anything considering what it is made from.

Dec 27th, '08, 22:47

by nmteaco » Dec 27th, '08, 22:47

When customers ask me what it tastes like i generally describe it as having the sweetness of Matcha, with the lightness of a Sencha.

I try to avoid calling it spaghetti tea, i like "tea pasta" better. But i often find myself saying the word "extrude" and all hope is lost!

-David (Owner - NM Tea Co.)

+ Post Reply