Turkish black tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.


Jun 30th, '08, 05:40

Turkish black tea

by Deleted User #18181 » Jun 30th, '08, 05:40

Coming from Turkey, I find it surprising that this kind of tea is never discussed and/or sold anywhere outside the country.. It is wildly popular in Turkey and more or less a national drink, and Turkish probably drink more tea than the british overall. I guess it is not readily available since Turkey produces more or less only one kind of tea (black) and it is strictly under government control. Still it is a unique tea and the brewing method is unique too.

The region where the tea is produced is "Rize".

User avatar
Jun 30th, '08, 13:07
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 10:06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

by silverneedles » Jun 30th, '08, 13:07

where do you get Turkish tea in USA?

Jun 30th, '08, 17:52

by Deleted User #18181 » Jun 30th, '08, 17:52

seems available in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Turkish-T ... B0002DQYGE

This is the most common sort consumed in Turkey.

You brew it in a two-level tea kettle, boiling water in the bottom kettle and then pouring the water over the tea leaves in the top kettle and infusing the tea for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile you put more water and let it boil again in the bottom. You have a very very strong concentration of tea on the top and you dilute it with the new boiled water in the bottom. It is then served in small, "curly" glasses. Might sound confusing but actually it's not that complicated.

Jul 1st, '08, 21:09
Posts: 74
Joined: Mar 11th, '08, 16:33
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 1st, '08, 21:09

Hi cgencer
Thank you for the post on Turkish tea. I am not Turkish, but I have been introduced to the tea by my nephew who spent some time there.
I have the tea from Filiz as pictured in your post of the Risa tea. Is there any difference? He also gave me a double boiler tea pot similar to the one showed in your post.
He taught me to add a little bay leaf and clove with the tea while it cooks, and then serve with lemon and usually, I'm told, heavily sweetened.
I usually drink tea Turkish style in spurts. Your post is going to bring on another spurt.
Thanks,
Rod

User avatar
Jul 1st, '08, 22:09
Posts: 1953
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Jul 1st, '08, 22:09

Thank you, cgencer, for pointing out this omission! Wow, I'd love to try Turkish tea some time. It sounds like the tea version of espresso!

Your two-level tea kettle sounds like the samovar (Turkish semaver) - is that correct? I've seen samovars (I knew a Russian family that had two or three heirloom ones), but sadly, never in operation.
______________________

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 1st, '08, 23:44
Posts: 74
Joined: Mar 11th, '08, 16:33
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 1st, '08, 23:44

This will give you a good idea of how it's done. Check out the samovar by clicking on "picture". It's just like mine. What do you think cgencer?
http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2007/02/turkish-tea.php

Jul 2nd, '08, 02:43

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 2nd, '08, 02:43

Hi, semaver is popular in Turkey to make tea as well, but since it's generally for making bigger quantities of tea and you need to put coal into it it's not so common anymore. However it's quite common in "tea houses" and such..

The thing with the double boiler is that the water with the tea never boils. It is an easy way to make nice tea and when you have the stove on the tea stays warm, it's not quite common for Turkish people drinkg 5-6 glasses of tea one after the another.

Filiz cay is supposed to be higher quality than the ordinary one, and taste better. There's one called "Altinbas", which is a BOP1 so the leaves are in better shape.

I also think the glass is very important, somehow the tea doesn't taste the same if I drink it from a cup. Maybe it's just psychological but a big part of the experience for me is to have those little glasses.

edit: I should also add that I think the flavor is most similar to Ceylon tea..

User avatar
Jul 2nd, '08, 12:20
Posts: 1953
Joined: Apr 6th, '08, 19:02
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » Jul 2nd, '08, 12:20

Thanks! Looks like the caydanlik (below) is the way to go for "personal" amounts of tea, then. It really does look, to my ignorant eyes, like a tea-ified version of an espresso maker. Very cool.

Image

There's a wonderful Middle Eastern supermarket in my town, they have lots of Turkish delicacies. I'll have to take a peek and see if they have these.

User avatar
Jul 2nd, '08, 13:45
Posts: 465
Joined: Jun 19th, '08, 23:03
Location: Midwestern USA

by Riene » Jul 2nd, '08, 13:45

How do you serve it? With milk, sugar, or mint? It sounds quite strong..I'd like to try it!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 2nd, '08, 14:00

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 2nd, '08, 14:00

Riene wrote:How do you serve it? With milk, sugar, or mint? It sounds quite strong..I'd like to try it!
You serve it with or without sugar, according to taste. You can serve it as "koyu" (dark) or "acik" (light), which basically depends on how much you dilute the tea with water..

Jul 2nd, '08, 21:19
Posts: 74
Joined: Mar 11th, '08, 16:33
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:19

I agree with you cgencer it just seems to work better using the proper glasses and saucer.
What do you think of adding bay leaf and clove. The people who taught me insist that it is the only to go. It does seem to work with lemon and sugar. Although I'm getting away from that and drinking it black now.
Another thing is that the Turkish tea really benefits from being "cooked". I tried brewing it normally and it didn't taste very good. I also tried cooking a malty assam that I had, and I did not like it either.
I think Turkish tea is designed to be used in a double boiler tea pot. I must say it works very well.
I was told you can add lemon and or sugar but milk is a no-no.
It is just like any other tea. You can have it as strong or weak as you wish.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:49
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 3rd, '08, 18:12

by Shai Guy » Jul 4th, '08, 18:49

I am Middle Eastern and all over the Arab world they sell this brand of Turkish tea called Caykur.In Iraq and some parts of Syria,they drink Tea made in the way was as Turkish people make it with the double pots.

Caykur Tea is very inexpensive,I have seen half a pound sell for $3.50 in some Middle Eastern shops here in the states.Usually there are a few different bags but I can not read Turkish to understand the difference Between them.

Cgencer,can you tell me which brand of Caykur Tea would brew good using traditional methods??

I was thinking to try this one out. http://www.buyarabic.com/storeitem.asp?ic=FB500153GE574

Jul 5th, '08, 05:26

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 5th, '08, 05:26

Yes that one would be good I think. Simple put two teaspoons of tea / 16 oz water or so (try with differing parameters) and let it brew for like 10mins.

User avatar
Jul 6th, '08, 13:56
Posts: 334
Joined: Jul 8th, '07, 17:19
Location: Submerged in a good cuppa

by Eastree » Jul 6th, '08, 13:56

I definitely *did* enjoy the tea when I was living in Turkey! It's good to see its promotion elsewhere.

Jul 6th, '08, 22:59
Posts: 74
Joined: Mar 11th, '08, 16:33
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 6th, '08, 22:59

Hi Shai Guy,

Nice to meet you.

I have that exact tea that you have shown in your post. So I tried a side by side test.
Using 2g of tea with 12oz of water, I cooked one Turkish style for 15 minutes, the other traditional and steeped for 15 min.
The traditioal way was lighter in color, more than I would have expected. It had a slightly different after taste, and had a slight bite to it where the cooked did not.
The two were not miles apart, but I preferred the cooked much better.

+ Post Reply