Turkish black tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 12th, '08, 11:13

by LapsangS » Jul 12th, '08, 11:13

Turkish tea tastes quite a lot like Georgian tea, and they both come from Black Sea coast.

Jul 13th, '08, 13:39

Re: Turkish black tea

by joelbct » Jul 13th, '08, 13:39

cgencer wrote:Coming from Turkey, I find it surprising that this kind of tea is never discussed and/or sold anywhere outside the country.. It is wildly popular in Turkey and more or less a national drink, and Turkish probably drink more tea than the british overall. I guess it is not readily available since Turkey produces more or less only one kind of tea (black) and it is strictly under government control. Still it is a unique tea and the brewing method is unique too.

The region where the tea is produced is "Rize".
That's fascinating, I would love to try it. When I lived in New Haven, CT, there was a restaurant across the block, and the fellow that owned it was of Turkish/Italian heritage, born in Turkey, and always had a metal Samovar-like contraption full of tea.

I didn't know Turkey actually produced the Tea though... learn something every day!

Jul 13th, '08, 16:26

by rodstnmn » Jul 13th, '08, 16:26

I like Turkish tea and I like to play backgammon. I play backgammon online and about 80 to 90% of the people I play are from Turkey.
I get the impression that if I were to visit Turkey, I could be sipping tea and playing backgammon every where I went.

Jul 18th, '08, 10:50

by Shai Guy » Jul 18th, '08, 10:50

Thank you cgencer and rodstnmn both for your replies,I appreciate your help.Nice to meet you all as well.

+ Post Reply