Green tea. Shelf life?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 14th, '08, 19:26

by Ti » Jul 14th, '08, 19:26

El Padre wrote:The trick with this sort of item is that they usually all come in one bag, and once you open that bag, you need to immediately use the lot of them. The clock is ticking instantly.
Hmm...That doesn't make much sense. It would make more sense for them to have them packaged individually so you can use them as needed. Like, how may people are going to buy a bag full and have the need to use a bag full all at once? (mass production companies excluded)

Jul 14th, '08, 19:44

by inspectoring » Jul 14th, '08, 19:44

I purchase by the pound for the teas I like to drink every day - especially something like white tea (silver leaf) and black teas. I recently purchased a pound of sencha - and am almost done with it. The key is to - open the packet right away and fill it into smaller batches right away. Keep the unused SEALED smaller batches in the refridgerator. Although I must admit - I got away with this technique with white and black teas - but I doubt that it can be done with the greens, especially sencha.

Jul 14th, '08, 20:52

by Ti » Jul 14th, '08, 20:52

Ok. Let's take this back. Waaaay back to when tea was invented and pioneered. What did they do back then to store it? They didn't have oxygen absorbers or refrigeration. So what was the method? I'm sure they developed a method to keep the tea in primo quality.

I'm wondering if tea was not such a mass-produced global commodity back then as it is today, which was mostly sold locally, had an effect on tea turn-around so that storage over undesirable time-spans/conditions wasn't really as much of a consideration than it is now?

Jul 14th, '08, 21:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 14th, '08, 21:02

The advent of anything "global" or mass-produced is pretty recent, so I'd say tea was definitely not a global commodity back when it was first invented.

Back when it began to be traded though, some measures that were taken include increased oxidation and roasting, which give tea a longer shelf-life. AFAIK, green tea wasn't widely sought as a trade good, but I'd be interested if anyone has information to the contrary.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 14th, '08, 21:41

by Ti » Jul 14th, '08, 21:41

scruffmcgruff wrote:The advent of anything "global" or mass-produced is pretty recent, so I'd say tea was definitely not a global commodity back when it was first invented.
Yeah...that's what I was trying to say. But what was the method of storing tea back then that developed? If something satisfactory wasn't found, tea might have become an experimental flop and would not have become the commodity it has become nowadays.

Jul 14th, '08, 22:15

by Salsero » Jul 14th, '08, 22:15

Wasn't early tea compressed into ultra tight bricks and prepared like matcha is today? Dust whisked in hot water?

And then, of course, Puerh was compressed not so a bunch of white boys could gross out their friends, but so it could be transported to Asia Minor and traded for horses, a trip that took months. That tea was designed to last for years!

Jul 14th, '08, 23:05

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jul 14th, '08, 23:05

Personally, I place my tea in ceramic rubber "o-ring" sealed jars and keep them in a cabinet which allows no light in at all. I also feel that the type of green tea has a lot to do with how long it will keep. I feel some greens, like Tai Ping Hou Kui will lose freshness faster as a lot of the whole leaf is exposed whenever it comes in contact with light or oxygen where as a green such as gunpowder or dragon pearls, in which the tea is rolled in some way, will last noticeably longer. I have kept many teas fresh for 6 months with my storage method with very slight changes in flavor, aroma, etc. Hope this helps!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Jul 14th, '08, 23:38

by andycr512 » Jul 14th, '08, 23:38

scruffmcgruff wrote:Back when it began to be traded though, some measures that were taken include increased oxidation and roasting, which give tea a longer shelf-life.
Yes, if I'm not mistaken, black tea became predominant in the West because it had a much longer shelf life and as such would be fresher (read: still marginally drinkable) than green tea when it finally got all the way to its destination.

Jul 15th, '08, 02:21

by Smells_Familiar » Jul 15th, '08, 02:21

elchai wrote:I was going to refrigerate mine, but I read in another thread on here, it is not good to refrigerate tea leaves. Maybe it all depends on what it is stored in? :?
It's fine to refrigerate tea as long as it's sealed in a dry, air tight container. When you remove the container from cold storage make sure to let the container and contents warm up to room temp. before opening the it. Otherwise, water will condense on the tea and inside of the container.

Jul 15th, '08, 09:37

by Ti » Jul 15th, '08, 09:37

Salsero wrote:Wasn't early tea compressed into ultra tight bricks and prepared like matcha is today? Dust whisked in hot water?
I believe that is the way it was. No humidors or refrigerators. I've not tried matcha yet though but I will in the near future.
And then, of course, Puerh was compressed not so a bunch of white boys could gross out their friends, but so it could be transported to Asia Minor and traded for horses, a trip that took months. That tea was designed to last for years!
It was a good method that apparently still works.

Do white boys really drink puerh just to gross out friends? Sounds like a lot of trouble for nothing. Waste of tea, waste of time and nobody cares anyway, especially when the 'boy' has been on this planet for over a half century and has been drinking pu for 10 yrs., albeit without trying to become an expert on it.

Jul 15th, '08, 10:43

by elchai » Jul 15th, '08, 10:43

Smells_Familiar wrote: It's fine to refrigerate tea as long as it's sealed in a dry, air tight container. When you remove the container from cold storage make sure to let the container and contents warm up to room temp. before opening the it. Otherwise, water will condense on the tea and inside of the container.
Ok, thanks!

Jul 16th, '08, 00:49

by joelbct » Jul 16th, '08, 00:49

The subject line of this thread sounds like a Haiku...

Green Tea. Shelf Life?
Shincha Packet, In the Fridge.
Summer turns to Fall...

Jul 16th, '08, 01:01

by chamekke » Jul 16th, '08, 01:01

That is very wistful.

{cries}

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 16th, '08, 01:31

by Salsero » Jul 16th, '08, 01:31

joelbct wrote:The subject line of this thread sounds like a Haiku...

Green Tea. Shelf Life?
Shincha Packet, In the Fridge.
Summer turns to Fall...
Wow, found poetry. It even has the Japanese obession with the seasons. All it's missing is a big ole maple tree and a couple sakura.

Don't cry, Chamekke.

Jul 21st, '08, 15:07

by Smells_Familiar » Jul 21st, '08, 15:07

I just ordered a Pump-N-Seal for my mason jars. This will not only help keep my tea fresh, it'll hep keep all of my leftovers and bulk foods fresh as well. I've recently gotten rid of all of my plastic food storage containers and I'm now using glass Ball jars for storing everything, including my water. Sayonara phthalates and PVC! Anyway, I'm stoked because it was fairly cheap at $30 shipped. I've only heard good things about the system, but I guess I'll reserve my judgement until after I use it for a while.

+ Post Reply