Oct 31st, '05, 13:48

Samovar

by Teatime » Oct 31st, '05, 13:48

I've been using an electric samovar to brew tea for over a year. Not only is it functiona but it is beautiful to look at as well. It does a wonderful job of brewing tea.

Do anyone else use a samovar?

Nov 5th, '05, 23:26

by jogrebe » Nov 5th, '05, 23:26

I've never officially used a true "samovar" but in my undergraduate college years my roommate had a large family sized drip coffee maker which he only rarely used when pulling all nighters but I used it for tea most of the time (in my pre-adagio days before I knew any better). Because I quickly found out that simply tossing the Tetley British Blend bags into the coffee basked caused an over brewed bitter mess, I would just run the pot of water through to keep a pot of hot water handy at all times which I at times referred to as a samovar as it was used more like one than a coffee maker.

John Grebe

Nov 8th, '05, 15:36

Re: Samovar

by Neecerie » Nov 8th, '05, 15:36

Teatime wrote:I've been using an electric samovar to brew tea for over a year. Not only is it functiona but it is beautiful to look at as well. It does a wonderful job of brewing tea.

Do anyone else use a samovar?
Just wondering how exactly you are using the samovar.

Only for the hot water and then keeping a teapot of concentrated tea on the top where it stays warm and when you want a cup you put a bit of the concentrate in the glass and then top up with the hot water?

That is how russian samovars are normally used, so just curious about how you use it.

Nee

Nov 8th, '05, 15:58

Samovar

by Teatime » Nov 8th, '05, 15:58

That's exactly how we use it. It's also a great way of controlling the strength of the tea depending on how much water is added.

We use Ahmad English Breakfast tea for the samovar.

I enjoy the black flavored teas also. I ordered an ingenuiTEA teapot for the flavored teas. (The order arrived this morning and so I cannot wait until I go home and open the box)!

Teatime

Nov 8th, '05, 17:17

by Neecerie » Nov 8th, '05, 17:17

Very cool...

How much did one that properly runs on US electricity cost?

Thats been one of my stopping points on getting one...since my family is Russian anyhow...

Nov 8th, '05, 20:05

Samovar

by Teatime » Nov 8th, '05, 20:05

Samovars can be quite expensive depending on the style and finish. The link will provide the information that you are looking for.

http://www.widerview.com/samoindx.html

I hope that this helps.

Teatime

+ Post Reply