Brand new to the world of Pu-erh...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Jul 21st, '08, 13:19
Posts: 9
Joined: Jul 9th, '08, 12:55

Brand new to the world of Pu-erh...

by michaelskar » Jul 21st, '08, 13:19

Having read so much about pu-erh teas, I recently tried some. I popped in at a local Whole Foods and noticed they had a "Pu-erh Classic" loose-leaf bulk pu-erh from Rishi teas available and I figured I'd try that as I could buy just a little to see if I liked it.

While I'm sure this is not the greatest way to get introduced to pu-erhs (as, based on price alone, this is obviously not "high grade" pu-erh), I must say that I found the taste to be amazing! Having read all of the strange descriptions I found myself agreeing...it DOES taste like a wet basment or water off the forest floor...it really DOES taste like earth and decay...but truly in a GOOD way!

One question: How many times can you re-steep the pu-erh leaves? I am brewing mine 7 oz at a time.

Anyway, not to ramble...just wanted to share my first experience with you folks.

User avatar
Jul 21st, '08, 14:42
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Jul 21st, '08, 14:42

What is it, sheng or shu? Sounds to me like you got a shu, you should be able to get about 6-8 brews.

User avatar
Jul 21st, '08, 14:46
Posts: 522
Joined: Apr 10th, '08, 16:39
Location: Sweden
Contact: Beidao

by Beidao » Jul 21st, '08, 14:46

Welcome :D
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

User avatar
Jul 21st, '08, 17:32
Posts: 505
Joined: Jun 1st, '08, 11:57
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Jul 21st, '08, 17:32

i love the appearance of cookd pu erh, the first few infusions, it looks like medicine or a herbal drink for some illness.

Jul 21st, '08, 18:40

by Deleted User #17777 » Jul 21st, '08, 18:40

hi

welcome to the wacky world of pu

A good rule of thumb is to keep brewing it until there is nothing left, or you no longer want more tea.

For 7 oz, that equals about 200 ml, so 7 grams of tea would be a good start.

If it is "shou" (called "cooked"), it would tend to brew very dark, very quickly.

If it is "sheng" (called green or raw), it most likely would brew a light amber or yellowish, unless it has aged quite a bit, and become expensive.

I like to brew short infusions, let's say 15 seconds to start. I find shou gives up after 5-6 infusions. I sometime let it sit for a long time, 20 minutes or so, for the last infusion.

Make sure to quickly pour off the first infusions. Though it seems like wasting tea, it is recommended to "wash" the leaves, then let them sit for a little bit to open up, before the water is added again for the cup to drink.

There is lots of information here in this little group, I'm sure just by reading some random post you will pick up alot.

User avatar
Jul 21st, '08, 18:44
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 31st, '08, 02:44
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Geekgirl

by Geekgirl » Jul 21st, '08, 18:44

TomVerlain wrote:unless it has aged quite a bit, and become expensive.

:lol:

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '08, 09:30
Posts: 1936
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

by hop_goblin » Jul 23rd, '08, 09:30

It depeneds on the quality of the tea. Generally steep it until the color becomes thin. In the case of shu a good quality shu would be able to be steeped for 7 times or more. But this is a ball park.

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '08, 11:42
Posts: 1548
Joined: Jun 8th, '07, 13:00
Location: 3161 A.D.
Contact: Wesli

by Wesli » Jul 23rd, '08, 11:42

The shus I have last somewhere between 6 and 12 steeps. This is when I brew them with really short infusions. If you're infusing for minutes at a time, I imagine you'll only get 2-4.

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '08, 12:25
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:25

I find that often shu will poop out on me much earlier than sheng. The other night I had a Puerhshop offering, 2000 CNNP Grand Red Label, that did a lot of infusions and was quite nice.

User avatar
Jul 28th, '08, 22:10
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

Re: Brand new to the world of Pu-erh...

by tony shlongini » Jul 28th, '08, 22:10

michaelskar wrote:Having read so much about pu-erh teas, I recently tried some. I popped in at a local Whole Foods and noticed they had a "Pu-erh Classic" loose-leaf bulk pu-erh from Rishi teas available and I figured I'd try that as I could buy just a little to see if I liked it.
I couldn't help but notice how well shaved you are. :wink:

+ Post Reply