Jul 23rd, '08, 13:10

My experience with Gong Fu

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 23rd, '08, 13:10

Until a few months ago, I've never heard of the gong fu method of brewing tea. I've just used on of those "tea balls" and didn't care about how to brew tea better. After discovering this forum and spending time reading about gong fu, as well as other webpages, I bought a gaiwan & cup set, as well as a small yixing pot online from China, wanting to try this method of brewing.

After I received my set and having done quite a few sessions, I can say that EVERYONE who likes drinking tea should try this. Even if you're not into super-obscure chinese teas, the gong fu method can brew almost any tea in a nearly perfect way. It also seems that you can do much less wrong in brewing the tea, since you brew it for such short periods and use little water. I think a scale is really helpful for finding out how much leaf to use, but any ordinary kitchen scale will do.. I use 5g in my 100mL gaiwan. I have tried green tea, oolong tea, black tea, flavored black tea and even rooibos, and it has all worked. Oolong seems even better when I do it in the yixing pot, and I will get another one for black tea as well.

Another nice experience with gong fu was that it got my little daughter who is 2 years into tea. Since the cups and the pitcher are really small, she can serve her own tea and it cools down fast enough for her to drink 3-4 of those small cups.

Now I can't seem to live without 1 or 2 gong fu sessions a day.. And my tea tray is on its way. :)

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '08, 13:49
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mar 15th, '06, 17:43

by MarshalN » Jul 23rd, '08, 13:49

You're poisoned I see :)

Isn't it a little early though to start your daughter on the addiction?

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '08, 15:49
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 31st, '08, 02:44
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Geekgirl » Jul 23rd, '08, 15:49

Welcome to the dark side! :twisted:

Jul 23rd, '08, 16:42

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 23rd, '08, 16:42

MarshalN wrote:You're poisoned I see :)

Isn't it a little early though to start your daughter on the addiction?
she doesn't drink too much.. just green & white tea, I think no harm in drinking 2-3 small cups at most in a day.. The cups are around 1oz.

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '08, 18:19
Posts: 666
Joined: Aug 28th, '07, 13:32
Location: Northeast Georgia

by henley » Jul 23rd, '08, 18:19

cgencer wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Isn't it a little early though to start your daughter on the addiction?
she doesn't drink too much.. just green & white tea, I think no harm in drinking 2-3 small cups at most in a day.. The cups are around 1oz.
Shoot, tea parties w/my then 3 yr old dtr is what got me into this mess! :lol: Before that, I had never cared for hot tea. Now it looks like a tea shop exploded in my kitchen/dining room (especially since the arrival of the oolong box pass). IMO, as long as it's in moderation, it's much better than candy, ice cream, soda, chocolate milk, etc that kids eat & drink.

Plus, since she's been drinking tea since such an early age, she know exactly how to handle my fine china & I don't think twice about taking her to tearooms w/me.

Cgencer, hope you & your dtr make as many special memories as we've made.

User avatar
Jul 24th, '08, 14:49
Posts: 183
Joined: Oct 6th, '07, 17:17
Location: Denver, CO

by Thirsty Daruma » Jul 24th, '08, 14:49

The part that intimidates me about gong fu is finding out what those times, weights and volumes are supposed to be. If a merchant includes standard brewing instructions, it usually means they don't have any provisions on gong fu style brewing. Sure, you can experiment, and I do with the more inexpensive teas, but the fancy-shmancy leaf can get disappointing when you throw $3.00 worth of leaf into a cup and get tasteless or syrupy tea.

Jul 24th, '08, 15:24

by Deleted User #18181 » Jul 24th, '08, 15:24

Thirsty Daruma wrote:The part that intimidates me about gong fu is finding out what those times, weights and volumes are supposed to be. If a merchant includes standard brewing instructions, it usually means they don't have any provisions on gong fu style brewing. Sure, you can experiment, and I do with the more inexpensive teas, but the fancy-shmancy leaf can get disappointing when you throw $3.00 worth of leaf into a cup and get tasteless or syrupy tea.
I always use the same amount of tea in weight, and then try brewing around 20-25sec for the first, a little shorter for the 2nd and then longer and longer times. think if a leaf is good quality it doesn't matter so much if you brew it 20 or 30 sec . I use 5g/100mL and this has worked well for all the teas I've tried.. I use cooler water for white and green teas, since they can get bitter really easy. I

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 00:21
Posts: 2044
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 20:47
Location: Los Angeles, CA

by wyardley » Jul 25th, '08, 00:21

Sorry if any of the below sounds trite or corny, but hopefully it'll be useful to someone...
Thirsty Daruma wrote:The part that intimidates me about gong fu is finding out what those times, weights and volumes are supposed to be. If a merchant includes standard brewing instructions, it usually means they don't have any provisions on gong fu style brewing. Sure, you can experiment, and I do with the more inexpensive teas, but the fancy-shmancy leaf can get disappointing when you throw $3.00 worth of leaf into a cup and get tasteless or syrupy tea.
That's called tuition. Wasting tea is inevitable, and it's how you learn. Using small pots or gaiwans means that even if you fill them all the way full, you're not wasting *that* much tea (unless you're drinking some seriously expensive stuff), and if a given brew comes out too weak or too strong, you can try adjusting your brewing parameters on the next one (try a little less water, or a longer infusion time if the previous brew was too weak, for example). Have a sense of curiosity about it, and don't be so upset if the tea doesn't taste like you expected it to (or even if it doesn't taste "good"). If my experiences are any guide, I think you'll probably lose more money from tea that you bought but don't end up liking than you will from that wasted $3.00 of leaf.

As most definitions of gōng fu imply, a lot of time, patience, and practice (and a lot of mistakes and happy accidents along the way) are needed to achieve skill.
http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/% ... %AB/101148

A lot of people (myself included) will say that it's better to rely on your senses and memory than on scales, thermometers, and other gadgets. I do have a scale, but I rarely use it when brewing tea.

No matter how exact you try to be, only practice will bring you a little closer towards the goal of being able to achieve consistent results. I will suggest that you try brewing any tea a couple of times before you come to any conclusions about it.

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 01:15
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mar 22nd, '08, 22:26
Location: Yixing

by chrl42 » Jul 25th, '08, 01:15

wyardley wrote:Sorry if any of the below sounds trite or corny, but hopefully it'll be useful to someone...
Thirsty Daruma wrote:The part that intimidates me about gong fu is finding out what those times, weights and volumes are supposed to be. If a merchant includes standard brewing instructions, it usually means they don't have any provisions on gong fu style brewing. Sure, you can experiment, and I do with the more inexpensive teas, but the fancy-shmancy leaf can get disappointing when you throw $3.00 worth of leaf into a cup and get tasteless or syrupy tea.
That's called tuition. Wasting tea is inevitable, and it's how you learn. Using small pots or gaiwans means that even if you fill them all the way full, you're not wasting *that* much tea (unless you're drinking some seriously expensive stuff), and if a given brew comes out too weak or too strong, you can try adjusting your brewing parameters on the next one (try a little less water, or a longer infusion time if the previous brew was too weak, for example). Have a sense of curiosity about it, and don't be so upset if the tea doesn't taste like you expected it to (or even if it doesn't taste "good"). If my experiences are any guide, I think you'll probably lose more money from tea that you bought but don't end up liking than you will from that wasted $3.00 of leaf.

As most definitions of gōng fu imply, a lot of time, patience, and practice (and a lot of mistakes and happy accidents along the way) are needed to achieve skill.
http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/% ... %AB/101148

A lot of people (myself included) will say that it's better to rely on your senses and memory than on scales, thermometers, and other gadgets. I do have a scale, but I rarely use it when brewing tea.

No matter how exact you try to be, only practice will bring you a little closer towards the goal of being able to achieve consistent results. I will suggest that you try brewing any tea a couple of times before you come to any conclusions about it.
Yes, Gong Fu 功夫 is same letter as Kung Fu, just matter of pronunciation as many of you might know.

Which means, you become Bruce Lee or Jet Li on tea ceremony!

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 13:42
Posts: 505
Joined: Jun 1st, '08, 11:57
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Jul 25th, '08, 13:42

you guys really think that some dude up there in the mountains of yunnan who has been drinking pu erh teas when you were still inside your mom's womb, that he is going to carefully weigh his teas, control his water temperature and other parameters when he drinks tea? i doubt it. yes, he goes by tuition, he knows after many many years of drinking tea. i know by eye now how much to use for certain cakes for such amount of water for such a length steeping time. i don't need a weighing scale. i don't need a wooden spoon made out of bamboo. just grab some teas, throw in the pot, pour water and steep and then sip the wonderful tea.

peace.

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 14:07
Posts: 1936
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

by hop_goblin » Jul 25th, '08, 14:07

Oh man, it is going to turn from interest into passion!

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 14:09
Posts: 1936
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

by hop_goblin » Jul 25th, '08, 14:09

heavydoom wrote:you guys really think that some dude up there in the mountains of yunnan who has been drinking pu erh teas when you were still inside your mom's womb, that he is going to carefully weigh his teas, control his water temperature and other parameters when he drinks tea? i doubt it. yes, he goes by tuition, he knows after many many years of drinking tea. i know by eye now how much to use for certain cakes for such amount of water for such a length steeping time. i don't need a weighing scale. i don't need a wooden spoon made out of bamboo. just grab some teas, throw in the pot, pour water and steep and then sip the wonderful tea.

peace.
Heavy, you are indeed correct. However, I also believe that having a scale is also advantageous. For instance, if you buy and expensive sample, let's say 10g well, you want to make sure that one, they didn't cheat you and two that you can get 2 5g sessions out of it.

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 14:13
Posts: 505
Joined: Jun 1st, '08, 11:57
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Jul 25th, '08, 14:13

sure. being human and living in a democratic society, we make choices. some buy very nice teas, some are happy with the regular stuff. it makes perfect sense to use a scale for the really mega rare/expensive stuff.

Jul 25th, '08, 15:08
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th, '06, 12:42
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

by Proinsias » Jul 25th, '08, 15:08

Even when buying expensive stuff I let my experience tell me if it was worth the money, not my scales. Done out of 1.5 grams but had two mindblowing gong-fu sessions, who cares.

I have friends who insist on weighing other things bought by the gram, I've never really seen the point.

Looks about right? Had a good night? All is well.

Scales say yes? Night was rubbish? All is not well.

Again it's horses for courses some people just like measuring stuff and some don't. I don't even get the three breaths and whatnot, my breathing varies far more than my tea tastes.

Where's Tenuki? He's usually good for a scale rant.

User avatar
Jul 25th, '08, 16:25
Posts: 505
Joined: Jun 1st, '08, 11:57
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

by heavydoom » Jul 25th, '08, 16:25

Proinsias wrote:Even when buying expensive stuff I let my experience tell me if it was worth the money, not my scales. Done out of 1.5 grams but had two mindblowing gong-fu sessions, who cares.

I have friends who insist on weighing other things bought by the gram, I've never really seen the point.

Looks about right? Had a good night? All is well.

Scales say yes? Night was rubbish? All is not well.

Again it's horses for courses some people just like measuring stuff and some don't. I don't even get the three breaths and whatnot, my breathing varies far more than my tea tastes.

Where's Tenuki? He's usually good for a scale rant.
great men think alike methinks....or not. who cares. lolz.