Aug 17th, '08, 04:13

Question for cast iron teapots or tetsubin users

by betta » Aug 17th, '08, 04:13

I'm planning to acquire a cast iron teapot (tetsubin with enamel coating inside) for brewing tea and leaving it for couple of hours or probably a whole day.
I've been looking for more info about it on the net, including also the past posts at teachat. Here's what I get: on the net there're almost similar care for these pots adopted in every websites so I need to address it here.

It is written that the pot must be wiped dry while still warm after use (seems very vulnerable to rust).
My questions are:
Does enamelled tetsubin not suitable to brew tea for hours?
Does anyone here know how is the enamel for iwachu's tetsubin? Long lasting?
How about the outer surface of the pot made from cast iron, is it rust when contacted with tea or water?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Aug 17th, '08, 04:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 17th, '08, 04:25

I have 2 Iwachu testubins that are really amazing pieces. I think they are very durable.

I am not to keen on leaving any liquid in my testsubin for hours at a time. Just seems like it is asking for problems. None of my testubin (3) have any exterior rust. One that I was recently using that is actually a cheapie, the spout interior is not enameled. I had not noticed this until I noticed rust forming.

I know Mary uses hers for brewing, I just never personally liked it for this purpose, but use them as a pitcher that I pour a pot of hot sencha into :arrow: then into my cup.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 17th, '08, 09:21

by Mary R » Aug 17th, '08, 09:21

Yup. I use my tetsubins for brewing. One's ceramic-lined and the other is not. During a particularly sloppy round of housekeeping, I accidentally left some tea in both for a week and neither suffered ill effects. No rust issues.

It'll be perfectly fine to leave tea in a tetsubin for a few hours. Your tea will go stone cold, so you might want to invest in a warmer (I do have an Iwachu warmer for my larger tetsubin and like it). Green teas may also oxidze a little bit over this time lapse and so may change in flavor. However, neither the tea nor the pot should suffer too horribly.

As far as the outer surface goes...mine are completely fine. The only place I have rust issues is in the joint between the handle and the pot. Water *loves* that little divot. It's easy enough to clean, though, so I don't worry about it.

Aug 17th, '08, 10:29

by betta » Aug 17th, '08, 10:29

Chip, Mary, thanks for sharing your experiences :D

Aug 17th, '08, 12:30

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '08, 12:30

Just wanted to add that Iwachu is famous in Japan for its tetsubin, so if that's the make you bought, the craftsmanship should be excellent. (There are cheaper tetsubin on the market now that are made in China - e.g. Kafuh - and I'm not sure how they rate against Iwachu.)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 17th, '08, 14:30

by Chip » Aug 17th, '08, 14:30

betta wrote:Chip, Mary, thanks for sharing your experiences :D
You are most welcome.
chamekke wrote:Just wanted to add that Iwachu is famous in Japan for its tetsubin, so if that's the make you bought, the craftsmanship should be excellent. (There are cheaper tetsubin on the market now that are made in China - e.g. Kafuh - and I'm not sure how they rate against Iwachu.)
This is sooo true. My 2 Iwachu, so perfect in every regard. They are 9 years old now. And PERFECT. The detail of the pot design is stellar.

My cheapie ... looks like junk by comparison. I got it mainly because my Iwachu are too large, a common problem with tetsubin. The cheapie's design is poor, but it is small.

Aug 17th, '08, 16:26

by betta » Aug 17th, '08, 16:26

Chip and Chamekke, seems Iwachu is guaranteed for its quality.. I'll look for this mark when acquiring the tetsubin.
I don't know how the measurement of the volume for tetsubin is. For yixing, it's the volume of water filled up to the rim of pot, but how about tetsubin?

Aug 17th, '08, 16:45

by Chip » Aug 17th, '08, 16:45

Unfortuantely, since I bought mine so long ago, I cannot remember the designated volume. I would assume filled to the brim since my Tokoname are to the brim. Seems the norm for most pots and cups.

Aug 17th, '08, 17:33

by Grubby » Aug 17th, '08, 17:33

You can polish it with aluminum foil and water on the outside, and also inside if its unlined.

I did this with my tetsubin when it had a little rust on the outside and it worked good.

Personally i bought a cheap tetsubin, don't know which origin but probably china, and it looks very nice imo (i know its not filled with lead because i bought it in my own country, which test for that kind of stuff on imported items).

Aug 17th, '08, 18:52

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '08, 18:52

Oh sure, there's nothing wrong with getting a less expensive tetsubin.

By "craftsmanship" I meant two things: good appearance and good function. As far as appearance goes, iIt's true that an arare (hobnail) surface on an Iwachu tetsubin will probably be more defined and regular than one on a less expensive tetsubin; the spout more defined; the handle more smoothly cast. To many, these points simply will not matter.

Function, however, is essential. For example: is the seal between the enamel lining and the cast-iron exterior a good one? Are there no areas of cast iron that are regularly exposed to moisture during use? Does the lid fit snugly? Is the handle sound? If you can answer yes, then there are no worries. If the answer is no to one or more questions, the tetsubin is still perfectly usable, but you may need to take more care in using or maintaining it.

Aug 17th, '08, 21:44

by Mary R » Aug 17th, '08, 21:44

Hrm...it's been a long time since I used my large tetsubin, so I'm not sure about it...but I know with my smaller one I *can't* fill it up to the brim. The spout is slightly lower and will dribble if you do. I actually prefer this, as I have a tendency to overfill pots, but I don't know if it was an intended feature.

I can't remember the make of my larger one, but my small one is a Rikyu. I cannot complain about its quality.

Aug 17th, '08, 21:51

by shogun89 » Aug 17th, '08, 21:51

If you have not ordered your pot yet I highly recommend Teavana
http://www.teavana.com/

There rep for their tea isnt that great but there tea pots are excellent at a great price! I personally have this one and use it everyday and it works great. They are all handmade in Japan, where they originated unlike many cheaper productions that come from china.

This is the one I have in black, 16 oz.
http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Tea ... Teapot.axd

Aug 17th, '08, 21:57

by Geekgirl » Aug 17th, '08, 21:57

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this button icon from Teavana's site looks like an Asian Mr Yuck:

Aug 17th, '08, 21:58

by shogun89 » Aug 17th, '08, 21:58

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think this button icon from Teavana's site looks like an Asian Mr Yuck:

To me it looks like a cat or an evil mouse, IDK :roll: :roll:

Aug 17th, '08, 22:07

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '08, 22:07

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think this button icon from Teavana's site looks like an Asian Mr Yuck:

Actually, Mr Yuck is all I can see. What is it supposed to represent, anyway?

Oddly enough, I spotted a second-hand shop today that had in its window two actual Rorschach blots for sale. I contemplated going in and asking, "How much is that otter-kissing-a-teapot-with-Meryl-Streep-flying-overhead in the window?"

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

+ Post Reply