Sep 3rd, '08, 17:53
Scrolling: scrolling

Gyokuro pots

by fencerdenoctum » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:53

Grettings teachatters,

I have received some tencha in the mail (thats proto-matcha) and was told to brew it like a gyokuro. Most tell me that gyokuro is brewed in small little things (the name escapes me). The tencha that I have would probably clog my kyusu's strainer for good, and I love the lil natural clay gyokuro pots. Only one problem.

The gyo pots I usually see would take a nice chunk out of my paycheck (Thanks Mr. Hokujo!). Anyone know of any decently priced gyo pots?

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Sep 3rd, '08, 17:55

by Pentox » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:55

I wish I knew. I have only seen one that was moderately priced and didn't like it.

Sep 3rd, '08, 17:57

by Salsero » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:57

Well, how about not so moderate. I want a cute little one like Chip has. What is his? 2.5 oz or something? Sounds great!

Course the cheap one is cheap enough to get that too ...

You could also use a gyo pot for Chinese greens and oolongs, no?

Sep 3rd, '08, 19:00

by Geekgirl » Sep 3rd, '08, 19:00

I'm thinking the same thing, but when I zipped over to AN to check out that hokujo pot, I remembered that I spent all my money on teabowls. :lol:

I need cheapcheapcheap! (and pretty. Don't like that banko one. :? )

Sep 3rd, '08, 19:31

by Mary R » Sep 3rd, '08, 19:31

Or you could brew in the susurichaway and sub in a gaiwan...

Sep 3rd, '08, 19:38

by Geekgirl » Sep 3rd, '08, 19:38

I suppose. I have a very small gaiwan that will work fine I guess, except for LOTS of escapee leaves. Heh.

Sep 3rd, '08, 20:48

by Chip » Sep 3rd, '08, 20:48

When I was at the Expo (have I said this tooo many times) Hankook had these kool travel sets that they were using and selling. They realistically hold 2-3.5 ounces, which I have found I prefer for gyokuro. I got 4 different ones and use them each time for gyokuro. I use 2 grams per 1 ounce water for premo gyo, and find I still get a caffeine rush from only 2 ounce steeps of gyokuro.

The set includes the pot and a matching cup. THEY ARE SMALL! They have the "teeth" strainer and a protruding lip verses a spout/screen. Some partical gets in the cup, but I eat the tender gyokuro leaf anyway.

Korean Travel Set
More, bottom of page

I highly recommend them for gyokuro as a low priced alternative to the much more costly alternatives.

Oh, Maiko's ebay site had a set or two that were only 50ish USD. If you contact Maiko and buy it through the Maiko site, you save 10 bucks off the ebay pricing. But you will not find the sets on the Maiko site, so you have to work for it.

Sep 3rd, '08, 20:51

by murrius » Sep 3rd, '08, 20:51

I blundered into this site. Seems like reasonable prices. Don't have a clue about the quality. Like the video though.

http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/t ... eindex.htm

Sep 3rd, '08, 20:53

by Geekgirl » Sep 3rd, '08, 20:53

murrius wrote:I blundered into this site. Seems like reasonable prices. Don't have a clue about the quality. Like the video though.

http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/t ... eindex.htm
Hi murrius, Artistic Nippon is a very well-respected site around here. I guess more than a few of us have succumbed to the quality and beautiful teawares, and Toru-san's excellent customer service. :D

Sep 3rd, '08, 21:46

by Salsero » Sep 3rd, '08, 21:46

Chip wrote: Hankook had these kool travel sets that they were using
One official Chip-endorsed travel set ordered ... had to call them because the website has no price associated with the one I wanted.

Has anyone tried any of their teas? I have an anglo friend bringing me back some tea from Korea, but who knows what that will amount to.

Sep 3rd, '08, 22:00
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Sep 3rd, '08, 22:00

Salsero wrote:One official Chip-endorsed travel set ordered
Heh. When I bookmarked the page, I used the title "Chip-endorsed ceramics". :D

Sep 3rd, '08, 22:01

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 3rd, '08, 22:01

Salsero wrote:Has anyone tried any of their teas? I have an anglo friend bringing me back some tea from Korea, but who knows what that will amount to.
I think I recall geekgirl posting a photo of a Korean oolong, which I assumed was from Hankook. I *really* want to try some Korean matcha.

What is your friend bringing you? Any ddok cha?

Sep 3rd, '08, 22:24

by Salsero » Sep 3rd, '08, 22:24

scruffmcgruff wrote: What is your friend bringing you? Any ddok cha?
I fear to learn what he will return with! I had no idea what to tell him to ask his Korean hosts about... I will probably get the Korean equivalent of Folgers.

Sep 3rd, '08, 23:27

by Chip » Sep 3rd, '08, 23:27

el padre wrote:
Salsero wrote:One official Chip-endorsed travel set ordered
Heh. When I bookmarked the page, I used the title "Chip-endorsed ceramics". :D
:lol:

Which did you get, Sal?

I have tried a few of Hankook's green offerings. Some are decent. The Nok Seon tastes like gunpowder. I am not going to finish the small sample I have. Bleh.

The Gamnong which is all steamed is good. The Chigarok which is blended steamed and fired tastes predictably like guricha. I think there is a $value$ issue with their tea prices that needs to be resolved in order to be competitive with Japanese and Chinese greens.

A guy over at GTF is bringing some Korean tea back for some of us to try as well.

Sep 3rd, '08, 23:39

by Abracadaver! » Sep 3rd, '08, 23:39

Try emailing the folks at http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot . They have quite a few lovely shiboridashi for gyokuro that aren't posted online. I got a beautiful mogake-style shiboridashi by Unzen for roughly $22.

If you can afford it, though, the Setsudo pieces at Artistic Nippon are frickin' amazing.

+ Post Reply