Humidity meters.

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Sep 13th, '08, 21:15
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 24th, '08, 23:03

Humidity meters.

by edkrueger » Sep 13th, '08, 21:15

Which do ya'll/yins/youins/ġē think is the best. Which do ya'll/yins/youins/ġē use? Do ya'll/yins/youins/ġē like it?

Sep 13th, '08, 21:29

by Deleted User #17777 » Sep 13th, '08, 21:29

I bought a "Honeywell TM005X Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer"

What I like about it:

1) cheap
2) has local sensor (Where main unit is) and remote (wireless bit to place in cabinet)
3) Temp and humidity
4) big display

User avatar
Sep 14th, '08, 02:02
Posts: 2044
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 20:47
Location: Los Angeles, CA

by wyardley » Sep 14th, '08, 02:02

TomVerlain wrote:I bought a "Honeywell TM005X Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer"
I also have a TM005X. I have been pretty happy with it. My only minor objection is that it doesn't seem very happy with rechargeable batteries, just regular AAs (in both the sensor and base station). Also, since I only use one remote sensor, it would be nice if you could have the display show both the remote and the base station at the same time for comparison... but not really a big deal.

Sep 14th, '08, 03:28

by Deleted User #23334 » Sep 14th, '08, 03:28

I have a little old analogue hygrometer that I picked up in an old watchmaker's shop.

I have no idea of it's accuracy, but I suspect that it's not terribly exact, but for a curiosity piece inside my puerh cabinet it works well - I'm not going to try to adjust my humidity anyway.

User avatar
Sep 14th, '08, 03:36
Posts: 921
Joined: Feb 6th, '08, 04:57
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

by omegapd » Sep 14th, '08, 03:36

slurp, you know you can test your hygrometer by using a salt/water mixture. I can't remember the exact humidity % it makes, but I believe it's 70%. When I was big into cigar snobbery, you could take a bottlecap, add salt, add water (just to the point that the salt turns "slushy") and put it in a zip-lock bag with your hygrometer and if the hygrometer is calibrated right, it should read 70% (I think).

User avatar
Sep 14th, '08, 03:39
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Sep 14th, '08, 03:39

omegapd wrote: it should read 70% (I think).
Close, but no cigar!

http://cigars.about.com/od/humidors/qt/hygrometers.htm

User avatar
Sep 14th, '08, 05:31
Posts: 921
Joined: Feb 6th, '08, 04:57
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

by omegapd » Sep 14th, '08, 05:31

Salsero wrote: Close, but no cigar!
Thank you sir. I was in a bit of a rush then and didn't double check. 8)

E

User avatar
Sep 14th, '08, 05:46
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Sep 14th, '08, 05:46

omegapd wrote: Thank you sir. I was in a bit of a rush then and didn't double check.
I just discovered it a few weeks ago and thought it was so cool that I checked all my hygrometers and found they were mostly way off! :(

Sep 14th, '08, 07:22

by Deleted User #23334 » Sep 14th, '08, 07:22

wow, great - I'll have to give it a go.

I guess this can only end in disappointment though :?

User avatar
Sep 14th, '08, 13:17
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Sep 14th, '08, 13:17

slurp wrote: I guess this can only end in disappointment though :?
Not necessarily. If you learn that your hygrometer is (like one of mine) off by 4 percentage points, then you just mentally add or subtract 4 from what it tells you and you know the accurate measurement.

+ Post Reply