Sep 24th, '08, 02:32

anyone have these tea caddies ?

by inspectoring » Sep 24th, '08, 02:32

I just found these and was wondering if it is truly air tight ? Would this be good for some expensive gyokuro?

Is the inside of the container wooden as well or is it tin?

https://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/st ... emId=28994

Sep 24th, '08, 11:13

by olivierco » Sep 24th, '08, 11:13

I don't know but I have one wooden tea caddy and it is quite good for storing sencha or gyokuro.

Sep 24th, '08, 11:49

by cheaton » Sep 24th, '08, 11:49

Personally, I would be concerned about the wood tainting the aroma or taste of my tea. I'm sure it's probably ok for keeping it fresh. But again, I would have concerns about keeping high grade tea in wooden containers.

Sep 24th, '08, 12:22

by Pentox » Sep 24th, '08, 12:22

I've seen ones similar to that, but never seen one of those ones specifically in person. One issue that I've seen with the full wood ones like that is even though it's double lidded your lids have a very poor fit. It is nowhere near airtight such that it is readily apparent. I got a small one from a friend (not cherry bark wrapped), but a similar style and it can't even hold it's own lid on to the point where if you turned it upside down it would all fall out. Both lids and all.

That being said I've heard that some of the well done all wood containers do store tea quite nicely. I'm not sure what the theory behind it is, or if it's psychosomatic of people spending 60 dollars or so on a caddy.

Sep 24th, '08, 12:24

by chrl42 » Sep 24th, '08, 12:24

That's the same one I am keeping, my mom had it back then don't know how she got it.

From what I've been using, it smells a lot(wood smell) and air doesn't keep tight. I've only used for Da Hong Pao and now I am storing non-drinking tea for unknown time..

But yeah, quality might differ depending where to get.

Sep 24th, '08, 13:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Sep 24th, '08, 13:40

I have that same one- the "small" version. It's nice, but much bigger and clunkier than I expected. It seems to be fairly airtight, as the second lid inside is a pretty tight fit, and the outer lid is snug. It definitely has a wood odor, and the entire caddy is finished, inside and out, unlike the paulownia (sp?) caddies.

I have some loose leaf shu pu in mine and it doesn't really seem to affect the taste, but I wouldn't use it for greens or light oolongs, or really anything that would tend to be strongly affected by odors. It may be that it does affect my shu, but I haven't noticed much, and if so it's not unpleasant.

Sep 24th, '08, 14:17

by olivierco » Sep 24th, '08, 14:17

Pentox wrote:
That being said I've heard that some of the well done all wood containers do store tea quite nicely. I'm not sure what the theory behind it is, or if it's psychosomatic of people spending 60 dollars or so on a caddy.
I don't think storing tea in a wooden caddy will actually make your tea taste better than storing it on any airtight caddy.
I didn't notice any wood odor migrating to the tea leaves.

+ Post Reply