Taylors of harrogate

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.


Sep 26th, '08, 01:15

Taylors of harrogate

by Deleted User #20247 » Sep 26th, '08, 01:15

I think i've officially entered tea snobdom. :P I was looking around the gourmet food section of david jones (A department store in Australia) and i found boxes of loose leaf tea by taylors the ones that caught my eye was the scottish breakfast and Darjeeling loose leaf they where $12.95 and $14.95 respectively :shock: i cant believe i spent almost $30 on tea!.

But when i made a pot up of each they where worth every penny!. Darjeeling (I had only tried them with a lipton tea bag :oops: ) was freaking awesome quite refreshing and when i gave some to my sister she loved it too. :D

Scottish Breakfast i thought would be not much different from the english and irish versions but it was very different quite malty and very good i could see this as my pick-me-up in the morning.

I will buy a box of these two teas each time i go to the city.

Cheers
TDP

User avatar
Sep 26th, '08, 02:19
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 10:06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

by silverneedles » Sep 26th, '08, 02:19

their Assam is actually what first got me interested in teas
ended up on RFDT then got a looseleaf assam @ Chado Tea (los angeles)
... memoirs oy memoirs...

their Yorkshire Gold is not bad either (i like it better than PG Tips or Taj Mahal)

User avatar
Sep 26th, '08, 09:46
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Sep 26th, '08, 09:46

Loose leaf is a good thing!
Love Darjeelings - so many to try!
Congrats!

Sep 26th, '08, 23:17

by Deleted User #20247 » Sep 26th, '08, 23:17

Victoria wrote:Loose leaf is a good thing!
Love Darjeelings - so many to try!
Congrats!
Loose leaf is where its at......the whole ritual of making the tea (I'm an Aspie we love ritual) and the enjoyment of sipping what you have made is great.

I got the spring darjeeling what is the difference?.


silverneedles wrote:their Assam is actually what first got me interested in teas
ended up on RFDT then got a looseleaf assam @ Chado Tea (los angeles)
... memoirs oy memoirs...

their Yorkshire Gold is not bad either (i like it better than PG Tips or Taj Mahal)
Assam Tea sounds interesting i must try it one day. :D I saw yorkshire gold (I find that ironic UK especially yorkshire is too freaking cold to grow tea except in Cornwall oddly enough but thats Cornish Tea not english ;) ) at the same shop sounded like your generic black tea.

User avatar
Sep 27th, '08, 09:27
Posts: 465
Joined: Jun 19th, '08, 23:03
Location: Midwestern USA

by Riene » Sep 27th, '08, 09:27


I love the Taylor's Yorkshire Gold and Scottish Breakfast teas! Great choices!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Sep 29th, '08, 03:18

by Deleted User #17763 » Sep 29th, '08, 03:18

Scottish Breakfast is a good black tea.
A friend introduced me to this blend.

User avatar
Sep 29th, '08, 03:32
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » Sep 29th, '08, 03:32

Tea Drinking Peasant wrote: I got the spring darjeeling what is the difference?
The leaves are larger, fresher, there is a hint of greenness in the body.
It is the one that got me interested in Darjeelings.
I was very impressed with it compared to others I had tried.

User avatar
Sep 30th, '08, 08:46
Posts: 412
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 05:23
Location: Leicester, UK

by Jack_teachat » Sep 30th, '08, 08:46

Taylor's Yorkshire tea is really common over here in the UK and is definitely one of the better readily avaliable bags on the market.

User avatar
Oct 3rd, '08, 21:51
Posts: 1136
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07, 17:53
Location: New York

Re: Taylors of harrogate

by joelbct » Oct 3rd, '08, 21:51

Tea Drinking Peasant wrote:But when i made a pot up of each they where worth every penny!.
Yup I don't stand much for snobbery either, but I will say that a good loose leaf tea compared to a mass-market bagged tea is like a lovingly cooked meal at a 4-star-restaurant compared to a packet of ramen noodles... Or watching a beautiful movie in IMAX compared to on an old black and white television... or listening to an awesome CD on hi-fi speakers compared to listening on little earbuds...

But I ramble, congrats on your tea discovery...

Oct 12th, '08, 06:17

Re: Taylors of harrogate

by Deleted User #20247 » Oct 12th, '08, 06:17

joelbct wrote:
Tea Drinking Peasant wrote:But when i made a pot up of each they where worth every penny!.
Yup I don't stand much for snobbery either, but I will say that a good loose leaf tea compared to a mass-market bagged tea is like a lovingly cooked meal at a 4-star-restaurant compared to a packet of ramen noodles... Or watching a beautiful movie in IMAX compared to on an old black and white television... or listening to an awesome CD on hi-fi speakers compared to listening on little earbuds...

But I ramble, congrats on your tea discovery...
Your ramble summed it up quite well and thanks. :D

It might be a bit of a search to find replacements to the tea ive got now but the internets is my friend. 8)

Oct 22nd, '08, 10:04
Posts: 14
Joined: Nov 28th, '07, 18:44
Location: UK
Contact: Ashiro

by Ashiro » Oct 22nd, '08, 10:04

I didn't realise Taylors sold abroad!

Its a very common tea over here and its sold as "Yorkshire Tea". They're one of the best standard supermarket teas available and their bags are just as good as their loose leaf.

Its quite a suprise to hear that the tea in my office cupboard and home happens to be a delicacy in other countries!

+ Post Reply