To stir or not to stir?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 15th 05 5:55 am

To stir or not to stir?

by love4God » Nov 15th 05 5:55 am

I just got my first inegnuiTEA and black tea sampler yesterday and have been really enjoying it very much.

Quick question. When I add my tea, should I be stirring it a lot or at all? Or just letting it sit and steep?

Nov 15th 05 12:40 pm

by Teatime » Nov 15th 05 12:40 pm

I just let it steep and then pour. I've been drinking the black flavored teas.

Teatime

User avatar
Nov 17th 05 12:48 am
Posts: 90
Joined: Aug 26th 05 3:33 am
Location: Gator Country

Re: To stir or not to stir?

by Ric » Nov 17th 05 12:48 am

love4God wrote:I just got my first inegnuiTEA and black tea sampler yesterday and have been really enjoying it very much.

Quick question. When I add my tea, should I be stirring it a lot or at all? Or just letting it sit and steep?
Sit and steep. :)

Nov 17th 05 3:10 pm

by love4God » Nov 17th 05 3:10 pm

That's what I've started doing, just leaving it alone.

I stirred a lot once and my tea tasted a tiny bit bitter. I don't know if it was the stirring or if I steeped too long.

Nov 18th 05 10:04 pm
Posts: 10
Joined: Sep 9th 05 5:07 am

by Bergamot » Nov 18th 05 10:04 pm

Most of what does not naturally come out of the tea in the recommended steeping time is stuff you don't want anyway. Stirring probably doesn't release significant abounts of these chemicals, but there is no need to help it along.

The only exception I can think of is if the tea leaves are sitting in a pile on the water, and the ones at the top are still dry.

User avatar
Nov 19th 05 2:32 am
Posts: 90
Joined: Aug 26th 05 3:33 am
Location: Gator Country

by Ric » Nov 19th 05 2:32 am

Bergamot wrote:The only exception I can think of is if the tea leaves are sitting in a pile on the water, and the ones at the top are still dry.
That's why I add water to the tea leaves and not the tea leaves to the water. :wink:

Aug 6th 14 8:19 am
Posts: 19
Joined: Aug 2nd 14 9:40 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: To stir or not to stir?

by Sarai » Aug 6th 14 8:19 am

Stirring the tea while it's brewing?! Lol! This reminds me of when I was much younger and I would obsessively stir the tea bag around in the hot mug of water with a spoon until the 3-5 minutes were up thinking that the full flavor from the tea bag would not be released unless I did this!

Aug 7th 14 2:23 pm
Posts: 460
Joined: Feb 3rd 14 5:24 pm

by bonescwa » Aug 7th 14 2:23 pm

This reminds me of when I would obsessively check teachat because it used to have knowledgeable people talking about tea

Aug 7th 14 10:32 pm
Posts: 19
Joined: Aug 2nd 14 9:40 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re:

by Sarai » Aug 7th 14 10:32 pm

bonescwa wrote:This reminds me of when I would obsessively check teachat because it used to have knowledgeable people talking about tea
This reminds me of when I would join new forums and people who aren't so veteran themselves would throw out snarky comments. :wink:

Nov 16th 14 10:16 am
Posts: 5
Joined: Nov 11th 14 10:17 am

Re: To stir or not to stir?

by Mary » Nov 16th 14 10:16 am

Sarai wrote:Stirring the tea while it's brewing?! Lol! This reminds me of when I was much younger and I would obsessively stir the tea bag around in the hot mug of water with a spoon until the 3-5 minutes were up thinking that the full flavor from the tea bag would not be released unless I did this!
I do stir the teabags too :D

Nov 16th 14 9:14 pm
Posts: 51
Joined: Nov 29th 12 11:14 pm
Location: Oslo

Re: To stir or not to stir?

by ole » Nov 16th 14 9:14 pm

I normally just let it steep in peace, only exeption is I sometime use the lid of the gaiwan to move the leaves around a little if they're a bit "stuck".

User avatar
Nov 18th 14 2:18 am
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet

Re: To stir or not to stir?

by kyarazen » Nov 18th 14 2:18 am

its not uncommon to use the gaiwan lid to "stir" or "flip" the pile of leaves, some even "compress" the leaves a little with the lid whilst steeping in the gaiwan. all in all just to push out more flavours/aromatics. many vendors do that.

User avatar
Nov 18th 14 1:07 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 3128
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: To stir or not to stir?

by jayinhk » Nov 18th 14 1:07 pm

I stir with the lid in later infusions. I pour water on fast to get things moving around with every infusion :)