Nov 21st, '05, 21:25

Tea Cups

by TeaCloud » Nov 21st, '05, 21:25

Does anyone know where I can get tea cups with no handles. I will be holding a tasting for several people and I wanted to know if there was somewhere I could get commercial teaware if there is such a thing?

Thanks.

Nov 22nd, '05, 10:08

Re: Tea Cups

by acehigh » Nov 22nd, '05, 10:08

Where do you live.... It seems in New York you can even find them at Starbucks... Can try Teavana , they have stores in some areas.

Elaine_1 wrote:Does anyone know where I can get tea cups with no handles. I will be holding a tasting for several people and I wanted to know if there was somewhere I could get commercial teaware if there is such a thing?

Thanks.

Nov 22nd, '05, 11:10

Look ma -- no handles!

by Madam Potts » Nov 22nd, '05, 11:10

Asian tea ware usually has no handles. Anywhere you can buy Asian wares may have what you are looking for.

How are you setting up the tasting? How are you preapring the teas you are tasting so people can experience them side-by-side? I have been trying to figure this out for my own purposes but with no success. It's not like wine which sits in a bottle...tea is so delicate with water temp and steeping time..
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Nov 22nd, '05, 14:20

no handles

by Madam Potts » Nov 22nd, '05, 14:20

Good point...a thicker cup is better...

Also you can mitigate the scalded hand problem by letting the water sit longer before pouring to allow it to cool.
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Nov 30th, '05, 21:32

Good or Bad

by TeaCloud » Nov 30th, '05, 21:32

Thanks for the knowledge. The last tasting I went to, I tasted one tea about every five to seven minutes. I was able to distinguish between the four teas that I had. Is this not a good idea or the wrong way of doing it?

Dec 15th, '05, 16:49

handless teaups

by Jocelyn » Dec 15th, '05, 16:49

Occasionally you will find a handless cup on eBay. The seller may not even mention that in the cup and saucer lot there is a cup without a handle.

Dec 15th, '05, 20:00

by jogrebe » Dec 15th, '05, 20:00

John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jan 13th, '06, 12:28

by illium » Jan 13th, '06, 12:28

Most towns have an Asian market of some sort that supports the local Asian population. They generally have very cheap dishes in the Asian style, including the typical 4 oz, thick walled ceramic cups with pretty flower designs on them.

If you don't find what you're looking for there, you could try a restaurant supply store, or just ask at a restaurant nearby, who has the kinds of cups you want, where they bought thiers.

Hope that helps.
Troy Howard aka Da Tong (大筒), Fine Chinese Tea Sales
Happy Panda Tea Co. 快乐熊猫茶司 (KuaiLe XiongMao ChaSi)
Portland, Oregon
illium37@yahoo.com (email me for more info!)

+ Post Reply