Nov 11th, '08, 21:20

Gaiwan & Porcelain Cups - Have lead issues?

by Woots » Nov 11th, '08, 21:20

I would like to invest in some quality cups and a gaiwan. However, before I do, should I be concerned about lead on these products as well?

I know the idea is tossed around with Yixing pots, but I am not sure if the glazes on these kind of porcelain products require me to be cautious as well. Since these products are coming from china I want to err on the side of caution. (Due to the history of lead contamination on all sorts of products)

If I do need to be concerned can anyone recommend a site (or sites) to buy lead-free porcelain ware from safely?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 11th, '08, 22:46

by inspectoring » Nov 11th, '08, 22:46

Well - I think there was a post here somewhere about a portable testing kit that can be purchased from home depot - that way testing may help. I just ordered a porceline cup - and intend to test it. To be on the safe side, untill now - i have used some of the nice bine china made by lenox. This really sucks...not having peace of mind. I also wonder if this is true for japanese cups as well.

Nov 11th, '08, 22:54

by Vulture » Nov 11th, '08, 22:54

The thing about cups and gaiwans is that being glazed (or smooth glass) they don't add anything to the water. That's why they are usually the best things to use for tea tastings. IF there was any lead content in the glaze or glass, it would amount to affecting the water so little that it would pass any test.

But I have only been using mine for a few weeks now. Someone who uses one more often can put in some 2cents.

Nov 11th, '08, 23:16

by teaguy » Nov 11th, '08, 23:16

You don't have to buy from China if you have worries. Taiwan produces some very high quality teaware, both clay and glazed, and production standards in general are better than China.

Let me know more detail about what you're looking for, either here or at my blog (www.taiwanteaguy.com), and I'll see what I can find for you here.
"The meaning of life can be found in a good cup of tea."

Check out more Taiwan tea stories (with photos) at taiwanteaguy.com

Nov 11th, '08, 23:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 11th, '08, 23:46

teaguy wrote: Taiwan produces some very high quality teaware
TeaFromTaiwan has several pots on their site. Course, I suppose some pots sold by Taiwan companies may be made in China anyway!

Nov 12th, '08, 00:24

by eanglin » Nov 12th, '08, 00:24

Vulture wrote:The thing about cups and gaiwans is that being glazed (or smooth glass) they don't add anything to the water. That's why they are usually the best things to use for tea tastings. IF there was any lead content in the glaze or glass, it would amount to affecting the water so little that it would pass any test.

But I have only been using mine for a few weeks now. Someone who uses one more often can put in some 2cents.
I worked for years in QA testing in a lab that tested for lead content in LOTS of products and glazed ceramic and porcelain products often contain lead.
So can glass. You know 'lead crystal'? Yep. contains lead and if food or drink is left in contact with it for a long time (Especially acid foods) lead can leach out of the glass or glaze and enter the food.

There are strict regulations regarding how much lead can be in 'foodsafe' products. The ASTM test specified in regulations involves placing an acidic solution in the cup, bowl or plate, allowing it to sit for a certain amount of time, and then testing the acid solution for lead.

The home tests available at hardware stores are designed for testing painted surfaces. Lead paint tends to 'chalk' and lead in it migrates into dust on the surface of the paint. These swab tests detect the lead that has migrated into the dust or that that is actually rubbed off the surface-but they are notoriously prone to error.

The CPSC has even issued statements saying that these kits are pretty useless- see http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08038.html

Statement on Evaluation of consumer products for lead
http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/leadeval.pdf

Method for testing for lead in paint
http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/leadsop.pdf

Information on testing procedures for various products
http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/Recht.pdf

Having worked for a major retailer, I can say that even in a place with a large and proactive QA program set up to test for lead, some things slip by. Small retailers are not likely to be able to afford lead content testing and have to rely on their suppliers.

What can you do?
For one thing, realize that lead leaches into liquids, especially acid liquids.
Don't store wine for long periods in lead glass decanters, and don't let tea sit all day in teacups or teapots.

If you are really worried, consider these precautions.
For everyday, constant use, use cups and pots that come from a retailer that does have a QA program that tests for lead. While things might slip by, the chances are much much smaller. (Kmart/Sears, JC Penny, Target and most other major retailers have QA programs and standards in place. Some have in house testing facilities, others farm all testing out to outside labs.)

If you have a favorite set that you have doubts about, save it for occasional use and don't let liquids sit in the vessels for long- the longer they sit and soak, the more lead has a chance to migrate.

Don't serve children using pieces that are suspect. Lead accumulates over a lifetime and it is believed that it affects children, whose brains are still developing more than adults.

There are no easy solutions for people who want to be 100% sure that their housewares are lead free, especially if they are purchasing antique or artisan made pieces, but if you use them responsibly, the actual risk to health can be kept to a minimum. You must decide for yourself if this level of risk is acceptable.

ETA; Found this, that seems pertinent.
'Lead in ceramic ware comes from the varnish or glaze applied. There are
alternative lead free glazes, but these glazes do not give the desired shinny finish.
FDA reported high violation rate of pottery imported into US, but pottery
produced in the US especially among some of the Indian tribes contain lead from
the glaze. Much of the ceramic ware from Mexico comes from small family
businesses that use drying ovens that do not heat to temperatures adequate for the
safe curing of the lead glaze. Lead glazed ceramic ware from producers that use
high curing temperatures do not leach high levels of lead.

From; http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/meetin ... 6/lead.pdf

Nov 12th, '08, 00:39

by Chip » Nov 12th, '08, 00:39

Or try this, Mouth Brewing presented by our own Wes :twisted: Sorry, I could not resist since this subject completely overwhelms me.

Sometimes the 3 monkey approach is best, but never the ostrich with its head in the sand.

Seriously though, wow eanglin. Thanks for posting this information.

Nov 12th, '08, 10:32

by Woots » Nov 12th, '08, 10:32

Chip wrote:Or try this, Mouth Brewing presented by our own Wes :twisted: Sorry, I could not resist since this subject completely overwhelms me.

Sometimes the 3 monkey approach is best, but never the ostrich with its head in the sand.

Seriously though, wow eanglin. Thanks for posting this information.
I realize that such a topic is likely taboo on this type of forum (keep in mind I am not trying to debase the tools of the trade... I am just fact finding). However, who better then to ask but the experts. If I want to know about drills its best to speak to a carpenter not a tailor.

I agree 3 monkey approach does work for some things. However, I am more of the wise old owl, but never a ostrich with the head in the sand. I do my research into new hobbies to a degree that would be painful to most. In the end I will always jump in the deep end 1st... I just like to hit the water swimming like a pro. Its just my process, so please don't take offense.

I think eanglin gave good advice about not using fancy sets on a daily basis but for special occasions only (just like we all do for lead crystal glassware). Also, using teaware from a major vendor that does QA testing will likely make things safe for daily consumption (which saddens me a bit, cause typically major vendors do not sell highest end teaware). This information gives me a lot to go on and consider though.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post here. Good information.

Nov 12th, '08, 10:45

by t4texas » Nov 12th, '08, 10:45

Not sure what to make of all this. If we were to swear off all but large sources with Q&A operations for daily teaware, we would not be using any Yixing or gaiwans or Japanese pots daily.

Nov 12th, '08, 10:49

by Chip » Nov 12th, '08, 10:49

It is always very wise to research to your comfort level. Please keep in mind, however, that there is a lot of contrary information out there on the internet on many tea related subjects including this one! This is where I start to imitate the 3 monkeys. I have always been a strong advocate of more testing, but having my words fall on deaf ears. 8) And I will never stick my head in the sand on issues such as this.

BTW, nice avie, t4texas~

Nov 12th, '08, 14:16

by eanglin » Nov 12th, '08, 14:16

t4texas wrote:Not sure what to make of all this. If we were to swear off all but large sources with Q&A operations for daily teaware, we would not be using any Yixing or gaiwans or Japanese pots daily.
I do not believe plain, high fired earthenware pots have a high risk for lead.
The risk appears to come from painted, glazed and low fired ceramics that allow for high leachability of toxic metals and minerals. It is these types of cups pots and plates that are under scrutiny in all the CPSC reports I have read on foodware. (I'm not going to touch jewelry, toys or vinyl products.)

Lead can be anywhere. It has been used in so may industrial applications for so many years that unless you go out of your way to avoid everything old, used, historic and even new things made without the highest and most expensive testing, then some small amount of lead is going to find its way into your system.

Federal regulations are written to help keep this exposure below an amount that has been determined to be reasonably safe. How safe this level actually is has been the subject of lots of debate. Historically people have been exposed to a LOT more lead than they are today- Lead paint, pipes, lead solder and lead glazes on dishes used to be very common, and lifetime levels were often extremely high.

You have to decide for yourself where your comfort level for risk is, but I believe it is pointless to focus on and set set aside all 'suspect' teaware while ignoring the equal or greater risks already present in your environment. (Do a search for lead on the CPSC website to see some of the possible sources for lead ingestion- ceramics are actually near the bottom of the list.)

Tea isn't acid. Most people here don't let tea sit for hours in teapots or cups. Teaware is usually clean and dust-free when people use it. Weigh the risks and decide where you stand. Personally I prefer not to live in a bubble, and I refuse to subscribe to the culture of fear that tries to convince me that I should live in a bland, sterile bubble.

Nov 12th, '08, 15:37

by wyardley » Nov 12th, '08, 15:37

Yeah - to be honest, I don't think about it at all. I just buy teaware I like. People have been using this stuff for years, and plenty of them have lived long, full lives.

Nov 12th, '08, 16:35

by shogun89 » Nov 12th, '08, 16:35

wyardley wrote:Yeah - to be honest, I don't think about it at all. I just buy teaware I like. People have been using this stuff for years, and plenty of them have lived long, full lives.
+1, Why I agree it is wise to be cautious, you can get a little overboard and pretty much OCD (we all do at some point). Everything kills you, walking, eating, everything. We will all die, its just a matter of when and why, So I say stop spending your life worrying about something that isnt a big deal and enjoy life. :D I may be wrong about this, IDK, But if you are ingesting harmful levels of lead, you will know it, Maybe headaches, vomiting and stuff like that, I dont know the effects. But if you use that specific teaware every day or serve to children then yes, it would be a good idea to check it.

Oh and dont forget where your dinner plates, glasses, possibly silver ware, clothes, toothbrushes, pens and everything else you use everyday come from china too. What makes them different from tea ware?

Nov 12th, '08, 19:10

by t4texas » Nov 12th, '08, 19:10

shogun89 wrote: Oh and dont forget where your dinner plates, glasses, possibly silver ware, clothes, toothbrushes, pens and everything else you use everyday come from china too. What makes them different from tea ware?
Uh...you can't brew tea in them?

Nov 12th, '08, 19:34

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 12th, '08, 19:34

t4texas wrote:
shogun89 wrote: Oh and dont forget where your dinner plates, glasses, possibly silver ware, clothes, toothbrushes, pens and everything else you use everyday come from china too. What makes them different from tea ware?
Uh...you can't brew tea in them?
I think what shogun is getting at is that how do you know anything that you have, in this case made in china, is safe and lead free? You have just as much risk (if not more) of being exposed to something even remotely harmful as you do with yixing pots/tea ware that may be tainted.

+ Post Reply