Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 11th, '17, 07:34
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » May 11th, '17, 07:34

Drinking a 2002 Dayi HK storage brick (brown paper). Light camphor and slight date. Interesting middle ground between dry and traditional storage. Doubt this tea is authentic as the price was too low for the age and it only gave me two infusions or so.

Also got a knockoff 2007 Dayi 7572 in today. It was too cheap to pass up without checking out. It smells...scary. Lots of obvious issues with the sticker, nei fei and nei piao too. Worth the tuition to see what the current fakes are looking like. I'll post side by side pics up soon...need to get some batteries for my UV flashlight!

May 12th, '17, 00:19

by Distrait » May 12th, '17, 00:19

Xeractha wrote: Around 15g (maybe little bit more) 2006 Xiaguan Te Ji + 80ml gaiwan and boiling water with relatively long steeps... Barely 40-45ml tea came out of the gaiwan.
My face looked like this

It tasted so smokey, bitter, sour, sweet and for some reason I felt cinnamon. But I won! I drank the tea till it tasted like water or I just killed my taste buds. This was lovely.

@Distrait Of course shu is welcome.
:lol: Was this really enjoyable? I can't tell.

May 12th, '17, 03:04

by Xeractha » May 12th, '17, 03:04

@Distrait

The taste wasn't good. Actually the sourness bothered me the most. I don't mind a certain bitterness though. I didn't want to bother with breaking up those chunks so I just threw everything into the gaiwan. The good thing about this was the feeling. For some reason I started laughing after a few bad cups and when I finished the tea I felt good. I'm ill now, got a cold or whatever it is and it made me feel better a little bit.

May 12th, '17, 09:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 12th, '17, 09:50

Xeractha wrote: @Distrait

The taste wasn't good. Actually the sourness bothered me the most. I don't mind a certain bitterness though. I didn't want to bother with breaking up those chunks so I just threw everything into the gaiwan. The good thing about this was the feeling. For some reason I started laughing after a few bad cups and when I finished the tea I felt good. I'm ill now, got a cold or whatever it is and it made me feel better a little bit.
That sounds like a rough experience! I have quite a few XG tuos, but I won't drink them green as I'm scared of having an experience like yours. lol

May 12th, '17, 13:48

by kuánglóng » May 12th, '17, 13:48

2007 JingJiaTang Bada

A clear dark brown-orange liquor with no significant aromas, storage funk or smoke to talk about. Taste wise I mainly get a mellow mid-range melange of wood (oak), tobacco and avocado (yep), no brighter notes; healthy bitterness. some sweetness, with some astringency later during the session. Not the most complex or dynamic tea in town (any of my factory cakes from that era has more to offer here) but the expressiveness, good minerality (almost salty), decent viscosity, a nice lasting throatiness!, lingering aftertaste, good stamina and gentle calming effects sorta make up for that.

May 12th, '17, 22:06

by mr mopu » May 12th, '17, 22:06

kuánglóng wrote: 2007 JingJiaTang Bada

A clear dark brown-orange liquor with no significant aromas, storage funk or smoke to talk about. Taste wise I mainly get a mellow mid-range melange of wood (oak), tobacco and avocado (yep), no brighter notes; healthy bitterness. some sweetness, with some astringency later during the session. Not the most complex or dynamic tea in town (any of my factory cakes from that era has more to offer here) but the expressiveness, good minerality (almost salty), decent viscosity, a nice lasting throatiness!, lingering aftertaste, good stamina and gentle calming effects sorta make up for that.
I see I am not the only one to get the salty and brothy notes from puerh.

May 13th, '17, 02:57

by kuánglóng » May 13th, '17, 02:57

mr mopu wrote:
I see I am not the only one to get the salty and brothy notes from puerh.
Oh no, I'm a hopeless sucker for distinct minerality (no minerals - no fun :) ) and have a couple shengs that once brewed up have almost more in common with a consommé than tea, e.g. an 2011 Autumn sheng from YangTa (JingGu).
My control samples of the 2015 Hai Lang Hao 'Gao Shan Chen Yun' that both of us reviewed went through a rather savory, brothy phase as well but that seems to have passed now.

May 13th, '17, 10:00

by Henk » May 13th, '17, 10:00

Last year I bought Bai Shu maocha from Hojo. When I open the bag it smells of the sea. The taste is quite subtle though.

May 13th, '17, 10:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » May 13th, '17, 10:42

I am sipping an innocent Hojicha, quite tasty I must say! I bought it from a small shop located in Kyoto (I forgot the name) last week. Good quality, well roasted and nicely priced! I think I've been so lucky since I chose it randomly .. :mrgreen:

May 16th, '17, 20:45

by stevorama » May 16th, '17, 20:45

2016 Yun hai zhi dian Huang Shan sheng pu er. Forest tea. Sublime and very good.

May 16th, '17, 20:52
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 16th, '17, 20:52

94 Dayi 100g sheng tuo. Aged to smooth and thick with calming energy and surprising huigan in the second infusion. Still lots to it so I'll revisit it later today. Was perhaps a bit too much caffeine after a full shuixian session!

May 17th, '17, 01:05

by Frisbeehead » May 17th, '17, 01:05

Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone here has heard of Liming pu'erh. I bought a cake while I was in China, it's from 2009 and called "Ba Jiao Ting", for ~300RMB. I tried several different teas in the shop before settling on this one, picked it up at a small puerh shop at the Wukuaishi tea market in Chengdu. There's a similar cake listed on Life in a Teacup's site, near the bottom.

EDIT: According to Yunnan Sourcing, "Ba Jiao Ting" isn't the specific name for the tea, just for the brand. So I am thinking that the 901 would be this specific cake. YS also mentions that Liming factory is based out of Menghai, and that they have a good reputation.

The tea shop I bought it from specialized in puerh and had many really nice offerings, if I'd had more money to spend I would've picked up a couple others too. The owner of the tea shop was great, she was super helpful. At first she tried to sell me on a much more expensive cake, but after talking with her a bit in Chinese she helped me find a cake in my price range that she liked. We tried several different teas, including some quite expensive Fuding white tea. While my girlfriend and I were sitting there tasting this Liming, a middle-aged Chinese couple walked in and sat down to drink some tea as well. They seemed to be regulars, as the owner knew them personally. We talked with the couple for a long time, maybe an hour or two, and they said that they always came to that shop. They seemed to know their way around puerh, so this was pretty reassuring. The man talked with me about all sorts of things, particularly health and what tea does for your body, as well as other things like Tai Chi, international talk, life, etc.

They also had a bunch of Fuding white tea cakes there, which seems to be very popular in China at the moment (or at least in Chengdu). The white tea was great, I would've probably bought a cake of that too if I'd had the money. However I later ended up getting a Fuding white tea cake for free at a sort of tea demonstration thing in Shanghai. It was a gift because I was a student apparently, I didn't see anyone else there get one. This Chinese calligraphy professor (who incidentally became our tour guide there) dragged us all around the place showing us his calligraphy awards, different tea rooms, and other stuff, and right before leaving he brought us into this room with all these gift bags. Then he grabbed some for us :D

It's not as good as the white tea I tried at the shop in Chengdu, but it's still very good. Not sure about the value, perhaps something around 300-400 RMB? Really not sure.

May 17th, '17, 05:10

by kuánglóng » May 17th, '17, 05:10

Frisbeehead wrote: Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone here has heard of Liming pu'erh.
I have a good number of their cakes and tuos in my stash, mainly decent plantation stuff from Menghai and will continue to add more. One of the best things about them IMO is that they've turned into an organic brand some years ago and I personally favor their teas over comparable Dayi products - e.g. 7540 over 7542 (gives me the jitters).
Other bonuses are that the chances to pick up a fake Liming product are far lower than running into a fake Dayi and since they're not as overhyped you get comparable qualities for less money.

May 17th, '17, 05:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 17th, '17, 05:39

kuánglóng wrote:
Frisbeehead wrote: Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone here has heard of Liming pu'erh.
I have a good number of their cakes and tuos in my stash, mainly decent plantation stuff from Menghai and will continue to add more. One of the best things about them IMO is that they've turned into an organic brand some years ago and I personally favor their teas over comparable Dayi products - e.g. 7540 over 7542 (gives me the jitters).
Other bonuses are that the chances to pick up a fake Liming product are far lower than running into a fake Dayi and since they're not as overhyped you get comparable qualities for less money.
That's some good input! Thanks kuanglong. I'll have to check out Liming's offerings!

May 17th, '17, 06:13

by kuánglóng » May 17th, '17, 06:13

jayinhk wrote: That's some good input! Thanks kuanglong. I'll have to check out Liming's offerings!
Yeah, check 'em out. Dunno about Hong Kong but they sure have ...loads over at the GuangZhou tea markets.
One thing to look out for are their tuos, e.g. this one:
https://www.chawangshop.com/2010-zao-ch ... o-cha.html
I've got a bunch of them from different sources, with different storage (Kunming, GuangDong/HK (dry/traditional/drippin' wet)), those latter ones could be right down your alley. I needed to air mine out for a couple months, phew :lol:

BTW, here's their official webstore:
http://shop.limingpuer.com/
Last edited by kuánglóng on May 17th, '17, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply