Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 15th, '16, 10:58

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Alucard » Dec 15th, '16, 10:58

Earlier in the week I had 2004 Gu Pu'er "Cha Ma Gu Dao" raw puerh and yesterday 2005 Megku raw puerh. Both are Guangdong stored I picked up from Yunnan Sourcing. I am really enjoying both of these and look forward to trying others in this category.

Dec 15th, '16, 15:03

by JRS22 » Dec 15th, '16, 15:03

Five years ago a teachatter from Malaysia organized a group buy in which I participated. The 2005 Liu-Pao 85122 tasted good initially but then I packed it away in a brown paper bag and forgot about it. I took it out today and brewed it in a 50 ml yixing pot that's been siting in the cabinet as neglected as the tea. Six excellent infusions and I'm afraid I'm going to OD on caffeine if I keep on with it. I do feel very peppy (jittery) right now.
Attachments
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG (44.57 KiB) Viewed 568 times

Dec 15th, '16, 16:06
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 15th, '16, 16:06

That liu bao is probably worth a lot more than you paid for it in today's market! Nice pot too. From Essence of Tea? Happy International Tea Day!

Dec 16th, '16, 19:47

by gasninja » Dec 16th, '16, 19:47

I am finishing off my last pot of 1998 Menghai Yieh Sheng Qiao Mu. This tea truly lives up to the hype. Elegant polished woods ( sandalwood aloeswood mahagany, teak) prune, blue lotus. The tea smoothly glides down your throat.There is a hint of soapyness that is it's only drawback. I suspect that poor ageing is at fault. I received my small amount from house 4 years ago where it has since sat in a sealed sample pouch before that years in Texas probably did not do this beautiful tea any favors. I would love to try a properly aged cake. But I am guessing this cake now cost at least a few thousand dollars.
The true highlight of this tea is the strong cerebral cha Qi with which seems to settle around your head like a crown.

Dec 17th, '16, 01:48
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 17th, '16, 01:48

gasninja wrote: The true highlight of this tea is the strong cerebral cha Qi with which seems to settle around your head like a crown.
Thanks for putting that feeling into those words. I experience this (& like it) w/ some of my pu & your words for this are perfect.

Dec 17th, '16, 04:38

by Henk » Dec 17th, '16, 04:38

Drank Bai Shu raw puerh from Hojo. The smell on opening the pack reminds me of the sea, oddly. The tea has a very subtle taste but nice, though I usually prefer more robust teas.

Dec 17th, '16, 22:40

by JRS22 » Dec 17th, '16, 22:40

jayinhk wrote:That liu bao is probably worth a lot more than you paid for it in today's market! Nice pot too. From Essence of Tea? Happy International Tea Day!
The pot is just as a modern pot from someone like Yunnan Sourcing. Some people here had purchased one of these small (50ml) pots from them and recommended the pot for puerh. The pour is slow but otherwise the pot is functional.

I'm lucky the liu bao is doing well as I stored it in a clean brown paper bag along with bags of whatever puerh I collected that year and stuck all the bags in a kitchen cabinet. Then I ignored the tea for about 5 years. I moved the liu bao to a double lidded canister so I won't forget about it again, and now I'm working my way through all the puerh samples I collected. This week I'm going through a bag of samples of vintage teas from Bana.

Dec 18th, '16, 10:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 18th, '16, 10:28

JRS22 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:That liu bao is probably worth a lot more than you paid for it in today's market! Nice pot too. From Essence of Tea? Happy International Tea Day!
The pot is just as a modern pot from someone like Yunnan Sourcing. Some people here had purchased one of these small (50ml) pots from them and recommended the pot for puerh. The pour is slow but otherwise the pot is functional.

I'm lucky the liu bao is doing well as I stored it in a clean brown paper bag along with bags of whatever puerh I collected that year and stuck all the bags in a kitchen cabinet. Then I ignored the tea for about 5 years. I moved the liu bao to a double lidded canister so I won't forget about it again, and now I'm working my way through all the puerh samples I collected. This week I'm going through a bag of samples of vintage teas from Bana.
I use Chinese brown paper bags (the kind of paper used to wrap older tuocha) to age my liu an and I'm going to put loose maocha into those bags too. They actually work very well for aging tea in, as long as your climate is suitable.

Dec 18th, '16, 11:27

by gasninja » Dec 18th, '16, 11:27

2011 EOT GFZ this tea starts off with a bit of funkyness. Wierd for a GFZ. But that fades. The Huigan is exceptional and the Qi is first rate.

Dec 19th, '16, 01:13

by shah82 » Dec 19th, '16, 01:13

gasninja wrote:2011 EOT GFZ this tea starts off with a bit of funkyness. Wierd for a GFZ. But that fades. The Huigan is exceptional and the Qi is first rate.
Kewl. The best thing about it for me last time was the thickness and texture. I guess I got some of that weirdness, too.

Dec 19th, '16, 10:08

by Henk » Dec 19th, '16, 10:08

Wuliang shan 2016 (Hojo), from a gaiwan. Thanks to someone on a forum for mentioning apricot lately, now I can put a name on the smell when I open the wrapper. Very nice tea, I like it a lot.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Dec 19th, '16, 10:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '16, 10:26

Henk wrote:Wuliang shan 2016 (Hojo), from a gaiwan. Thanks to someone on a forum for mentioning apricot lately, now I can put a name on the smell when I open the wrapper. Very nice tea, I like it a lot.

I described assamica green tea as having an apricot note this morning. You dont' use Instagram, do you? ;)

Dec 19th, '16, 17:12

Re: RE: Re: Official Pu of the day

by Henk » Dec 19th, '16, 17:12

jayinhk wrote:
Henk wrote:Wuliang shan 2016 (Hojo), from a gaiwan. Thanks to someone on a forum for mentioning apricot lately, now I can put a name on the smell when I open the wrapper. Very nice tea, I like it a lot.

I described assamica green tea as having an apricot note this morning. You dont' use Instagram, do you? ;)
It might have been that, so: thanks. No, I don't have instagram.

Dec 19th, '16, 23:22
Vendor Member

Re: RE: Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '16, 23:22

Henk wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

It might have been that, so: thanks. No, I don't have instagram.
Ah, I asked about Instagram because I described the tea as having an apricot note on there. Wasn't me then!

Dec 20th, '16, 10:41
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 20th, '16, 10:41

2010 Fenghuang organic ripe tuo. Brewing in a 200-250ml Jingdezhen blue and white rice grain pot, and then pouring into a Factory 1 mug zisha mug I bought locally. Quite a nice combo and the tea is nice and smooth. The mug is really perfect for traditional storage pu/shu cha!

+ Post Reply