I keep a few beengs that I drink regularly in a cardboard box in my kitchen. A disturbing trend is taking place in those teas. One is the Guoyan beeng Youle meets Nannuo. I have really enjoyed that one and last week I noticed a change……a bad change in flavor but even worse a massive dryness in my throat after drinking. I pulled it out……not really thinking anything about it and put it with my others that I keep in a makeshift puidor. Then one of my favorite Yuan Nian teas…the fall cake had some strange off flavors and the dryness. Then my YiWu beeng from Awazon had some really developed flavors……carmel, tobacco..etc. that seemed to be happening too quickly for its age……and the dryness. Since I have two of those I brewed the other tonight and guess what……I tastes totally different. Brutal. I can only hope they can be saved by the puidor.
So for any of you who keep theirs in a cardboard box…..you might want to separate some as a control so you can keep a catastrophe from occurring.
Nov 20th, '08, 23:28
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta
Nov 20th, '08, 23:41
Posts: 1936
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact:
hop_goblin
I diddo that.tony shlongini wrote:I would think that, in general, a kitchen isn't a good place for storing pu'er- strong odors and wild swings of temperature and humidity.
Don't always believe what you think!
http://www.ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com
http://englishtea.us/
http://www.ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com
http://englishtea.us/
If these changes took place over a short period in time, I can't see fluctuations in local environment really changing them that quickly, unless those changes were drastic, but you have not mentioned any thing drastic (Like my kitchen caught on fire and the the tea was drenched in fire suppression foam or the naked lunch type exterminator came and sprayed for bugs)
Could it be you are tasting the inside bit of the cakes, which are different ?
Any visual changes to the cakes ?
Could it be you are tasting the inside bit of the cakes, which are different ?
Any visual changes to the cakes ?
You guys make a good point about the kitchen. However I have kept some in this location for two and a half years with no problem. Its very strange. The box is in a cubby hole so I doubt airflow is the problem. On the other hand its the same cardboard box for all this time. I am stumped. None the less they have all been removed from that location. The box is the only thing that seemed to make sense though it may very well not be the cause.
To what extent do you imagine the box actually effected it? Do you think it has something to do with the box itself or just the fact that they were in the box and its more the "atmosphere" inside the box?puerhking wrote:You guys make a good point about the kitchen. However I have kept some in this location for two and a half years with no problem. Its very strange. The box is in a cubby hole so I doubt airflow is the problem. On the other hand its the same cardboard box for all this time. I am stumped. None the less they have all been removed from that location. The box is the only thing that seemed to make sense though it may very well not be the cause.
Could be the material that your cardboard box is made of, perhaps made with recycled paper or not acid free, was it used to ship fruit which had residual chemicals left over trapped in the box.
The cardboard box imparts smells too when it absorbs moisture, maybe these odours are re-absorbed by your cakes. I went to Ikea bought one of their rattan/wicker made baskets and store my cakes in there. I have a humidifier going in the room where they are stored, that only goes up to 60% rh though.
The cardboard box imparts smells too when it absorbs moisture, maybe these odours are re-absorbed by your cakes. I went to Ikea bought one of their rattan/wicker made baskets and store my cakes in there. I have a humidifier going in the room where they are stored, that only goes up to 60% rh though.