Jan 11th, '09, 04:20

Benshan "green" clay teapot and tea pairing

by Deleted User #21456 » Jan 11th, '09, 04:20

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a small teapot like this one made out of benshan clay. The walls are of medium thickness. I am still a little on the fence as to which tea to pair it with. I hear sheng puerh would be good. Any other suggestions?

Banter welcome :)!

Alex

Jan 11th, '09, 04:40
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th, '08, 03:03

by edkrueger » Jan 11th, '09, 04:40

Young sheng would be a good choice, I think. It might take the edge off of some of the bitterness of some shengs.

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 05:16
Posts: 1548
Joined: Jun 8th, '07, 17:00
Location: 3161 A.D.

by Wesli » Jan 11th, '09, 05:16

What kinds of teas do you drink?

I suggest you try it with all of them and pick whatever it brews best. If you're afraid of mixing teas in this way, then just be sure to rinse it out after each tea.

Jan 11th, '09, 05:22
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th, '08, 03:03

by edkrueger » Jan 11th, '09, 05:22

Yeah, that is better advise. I'd boil the pot to remove flavors from it if you decide to change "its" tea.

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 06:41
Posts: 316
Joined: Sep 12th, '08, 05:14
Location: Philippines

by odarwin » Jan 11th, '09, 06:41

im not much of a tea pairing guy for yi xing and tea, but i do have one of those pots with so called ben shan lu ni... and i can say that they stain very easily.

in my opinion, stick to light colored teas with this yi xing. my opinion is just on the aesthetics, and nothing to do with any flavor and all that.

-darwin

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 13:13
Posts: 2794
Joined: Oct 17th, '08, 01:01
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Been thanked: 2 times

by Drax » Jan 11th, '09, 13:13

odarwin wrote:in my opinion, stick to light colored teas with this yi xing. my opinion is just on the aesthetics, and nothing to do with any flavor and all that.
-darwin
It's true, I have one of these types of pots, and they do stain very easily. But as another side to that statement, I've probably brewed shu in the pot 15-20 times, and it already has a well-used stained look to it (w/o the use of shoe polish! :mrgreen:).

As an aside, these pots are actually much more brown in person than green. And there's an old thread around here somewhere where it discusses that these are probably not ben shan clay (I got mine from the same vendor).

Jan 11th, '09, 14:51

by Deleted User #21456 » Jan 11th, '09, 14:51

Hello everyone,

Thank for the comments and feedback. Trial and error it shall be. I am aware of the staining factor and am not too concerned about it. Fate will decide how aesthetic the teapot turn out. Clay authenticity is a tricky subject. Short of getting a teapot expertly evaluated before purchase, I just may have to stick with the reputation of the vendor.

Have a great rest of the weekend,

Alex