Ippodo

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


Jan 11th, '09, 10:47

Ippodo

by Deleted User #17669 » Jan 11th, '09, 10:47

Hi to everybody,

I have a question: what do you think about ippodo, it is a good tea vendor?
If compared with OCha, do you think that its teas are at a higher or lower level?

Thank you,

Carlo

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 10:52
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th, '08, 02:10
Location: France

by olivierco » Jan 11th, '09, 10:52

Yes a very good shop with good quality teas.
Their senchas are light steamed and quite all o-cha ones are deep steamed.
As Ippodo only ships via EMS, you should make a large order (6-7 packages) so that the shipping costs won't be too expensive.

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 12:10
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 31st, '08, 02:44
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Geekgirl

by Geekgirl » Jan 11th, '09, 12:10

Agreed, I like Ippodo a lot, although with the required EMS shipping, I don't order from them as often as I might otherwise. Their matcha is excellent, and very reasonable.

Jan 11th, '09, 13:42
Posts: 1978
Joined: Jan 14th, '08, 18:01
Location: CA
Contact: Pentox

by Pentox » Jan 11th, '09, 13:42

Heh, I just tried about 5 of ippodo's teas for the first time last night. I tried the hosen most notably which is a middle of their range sencha. It was quite amazing and can't wait to try the top of their end. As oliver pointed out though if you're a fuka fan sure you might want to stick with O-cha, but personally I'm not a fuka person so I'm loving Ippodo so far.

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 15:35
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Jan 11th, '09, 15:35

Pentox wrote: I just tried about 5 of ippodo's teas for the first time last night.
5 teas in one night? Did they peel you off the ceiling? You must be a superman. I've always wondered how you could blog about so many different teas so regularly. BTW, kudos on your fine blog. I don't comment there very often, but I always read it.

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 15:57
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th, '08, 02:10
Location: France

by olivierco » Jan 11th, '09, 15:57

Salsero wrote: BTW, kudos on your fine blog. I don't comment there very often, but I always read it.
+1

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 16:00
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Jan 11th, '09, 16:00

And 1 :!:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

User avatar
Jan 11th, '09, 16:02
Posts: 1548
Joined: Jun 8th, '07, 13:00
Location: 3161 A.D.
Contact: Wesli

by Wesli » Jan 11th, '09, 16:02

You can't really compare them because they offer different teas. All, afaik, of Ippodo's tea is traditionally light steamed asamushi. Otoh, most of O-cha's offerings are medium-deep steamed senchas. They're both great for what they have.

Jan 12th, '09, 02:45
Posts: 1978
Joined: Jan 14th, '08, 18:01
Location: CA
Contact: Pentox

by Pentox » Jan 12th, '09, 02:45

Salsero wrote:
Pentox wrote: I just tried about 5 of ippodo's teas for the first time last night.
5 teas in one night? Did they peel you off the ceiling? You must be a superman. I've always wondered how you could blog about so many different teas so regularly. BTW, kudos on your fine blog. I don't comment there very often, but I always read it.
heh 5 is about average for me. It's one of the reasons I don't review oolongs and matcha too often, the caffeine really gets to me when i'm 5 infusions in or drinking matcha. Senchas and hojichas though I can go all day.

Thanks for readin' guys!

Jan 12th, '09, 06:09

by Deleted User #17669 » Jan 12th, '09, 06:09

Thank you all for the replies!

i didn't know that all OCha's tea are, on average, more steamed than Ippodo's.
Are you really sure about it? Ok, I tried fukamushi and it is indeed deep-steamed, but I tried also other teas from OCha, e.g. the Kabusecha, and it does not seem to be as steamed as fuka.

Cheers,

Carlo

User avatar
Jan 12th, '09, 10:05
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Jan 12th, '09, 10:05

Yeah, I would not call the kabuse from O-Cha fukamushi. But most of his sencha are of the more steamed variety, such as Yutaka Midori, Chiran Supreme, of course Fukamushi Supreme, Hatsumi, and Miyabi which I would call chumushi/mid steamed.

Besides the Kabuse, the Uji Asamushi Sencha Tsuen "Ujibashi San no Ma", Organic Kaze, and Daily Sencha are light steamed.

But the ones most talked about here seem to be the deeper staemed ones.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply