Jan 14th, '09, 16:53

by Cate » Jan 14th, '09, 16:53

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Yeah, I just dont want anyone getting injured, and certainly would not want adagio getting slapped with any lawsuits or anything lol. Because I read where the link that was posted about the glass being rounded, but that was certainly not the case... this crap was deadly sharp. The way it lie, combusted... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't have seen it... it was really bizarre.

---insert non serious line here, comments below this line are not serious---

So do you by chance live on an ancient indian burial ground or is your house haunted?
LOL, last time I checked, no... but I have the worst luck with things breaking around me (That i don't even touch!!), you would not even believe. On a superstitious note, I did break a huge mirror two years ago, and sometimes at times like this, i SERIOUSLY think I have another 5 years of hell to endure! But yeah lol.

The replacement should be here today or tomorrow, but I will definitely be getting rid of it. I am so shaken up by this ordeal, I can't exactly bring myself to use the glasses, either. Way too scary :shock:

Jan 14th, '09, 17:20

by Pentox » Jan 14th, '09, 17:20

Cate wrote: LOL, last time I checked, no... but I have the worst luck with things breaking around me (That i don't even touch!!), you would not even believe. On a superstitious note, I did break a huge mirror two years ago, and sometimes at times like this, i SERIOUSLY think I have another 5 years of hell to endure! But yeah lol.
I'm going with the telekinesis theory then.

I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to use those glasses either after they spontaneously are exploding on you. Hopefully you can get some non-explosive ceramics.

Jan 14th, '09, 20:41
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 14th, '09, 20:41

That's terrible! I am glad you were hurt badly, but actually glass cutting in arm is already terribly painful!

And still it's quite mysterious. Now I am a little scared of my own glass mug :twisted:
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 14th, '09, 21:12
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 14th, '09, 21:12

If you were cut by a glass shard, then the *tempered* glass didn't fail (shatter under stress) in 'dice'-shaped pieces, a characteristic of heat-treated glass.

http://www.alumaxbath.com/tech/tgp.htm

That suggest the glass was allowed to re-anneal during cooling, whence it looses its 'Temper' - high-strength and heat-difference tolerance.

Make sure you report that the failed tempered glass did NOT break into small cubical shapes called dice. This will help Adagio customer service.
Last edited by Intuit on Jan 14th, '09, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.

Jan 14th, '09, 21:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by JP » Jan 14th, '09, 21:12

I'm drinking from a glass cup as I read and post to this thread. It's a couple of years old now, so I'm concerned about it. (Glad my bifocals are shatterproof, though.)

I agree with the assessment that Adagio received a bad batch of glassware and should return it.

Jan 14th, '09, 21:54

by edkrueger » Jan 14th, '09, 21:54

gingko wrote: I am glad you were hurt badly
That is mean.

Jan 14th, '09, 22:14

by teasbest » Jan 14th, '09, 22:14

I had a glass mug split vertically.

It had been placed upon a silicone pad and had a teaspoon in it which was holding down an herbal teabag. I poured in water that was less than boiling. I had turned away, and then I heard a bang. The mug had split into two equal parts.

At that time I attributed it to being possibly defective, or being an older mug, to possibly having small fractures.

Now, I find this worrisome.

Jan 14th, '09, 23:42
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 14th, '09, 23:42

Typo, Ed.

Jan 18th, '09, 13:17

by treazure » Jan 18th, '09, 13:17

That is so freaky. I had a similar experience with a glass pot lid. I had washed it, rinsed, dried and put up and about an hour later it exploded. One of the cats got a piece stuck in her leg and literally painted the kitchen in blood. I eventually caught her, cheaned her up, shaved and butterflied the wound. I'm very glad that you didn't get hurt by the flying glass!
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Jan 28th, '09, 21:30

by Cate » Jan 28th, '09, 21:30

treazure wrote:That is so freaky. I had a similar experience with a glass pot lid. I had washed it, rinsed, dried and put up and about an hour later it exploded. One of the cats got a piece stuck in her leg and literally painted the kitchen in blood. I eventually caught her, cheaned her up, shaved and butterflied the wound. I'm very glad that you didn't get hurt by the flying glass!
Oh no! poor kitty :( i hope she's okay.

Yeah, the cups so far seem fine... I have to say though, the customer service regarding this issue has been outstanding. I certainly cannot complain about that. They've been very understanding and helpful. I've already brought over a few avid Teavana fans to Adagio tea :wink:

+ Post Reply