Jan 13th, '09, 18:50

Glass cup and saucer exploding

by Cate » Jan 13th, '09, 18:50

I typed up a huge long story to post on here, and i got a message telling me i used spam words?? Whatever.

Please beware of the glass cup and saucer.
I purchased two of these. The first saucer exploded in the kitchen, with glass flying everywhere. The set had not been used in 24 hours, was empty, and was at room temperature. I emailed Adagio (they were great, by the way,) and promptly mailed me a new saucer, which is currently being delivered. Today, after I made a pot of tea with the glass cup and remaining saucer, the saucer exploded. I got glass stuck all in my left arm.

Please, for your own safety, think before ordering the set. I'll be calling Adagio tomorrow.

Jan 13th, '09, 18:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 13th, '09, 18:56

You are running into the spam word issue because you are a new member. It is unfortunate that we must take such measures, but trust me, if you would see some of the spam that we filter out, you would understand. TeaChat is as spam free a forum as possible.

Sorry you ran into problems posting, and of course your exploding glass!!! I hope you are OK.

How were you brewing a pot of tea in your glass cup?

Jan 13th, '09, 19:52

by Cate » Jan 13th, '09, 19:52

Oh, I understand about the spam lol. No problem.

Oh, and sorry for the misunderstanding, but I did not brew the tea in the cup. I meant that I brewed a pot of tea and served it with the glass cup and saucer.

Jan 13th, '09, 19:55

by Pentox » Jan 13th, '09, 19:55

Hm that seems a bit odd. Any idea why that might have happened? How cold / hot was the cup when you poured the tea in?

Jan 13th, '09, 19:58

by Cate » Jan 13th, '09, 19:58

The tea was white tea, which i heat to about 175. The glasses were room temperature.

But even so, the first time the saucer exploded, it hadnt been used in over a day, and this time, the teacup wasn't even on the saucer when it exploded.... not for at least 3 minutes.

Jan 13th, '09, 20:06

by kymidwife » Jan 13th, '09, 20:06

Makes me wonder if there could have been crack defects in the saucers? I've always heard cracked glass may shatter when exposed to extremes of heat.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jan 13th, '09, 20:52

by Victoria » Jan 13th, '09, 20:52

Wow that is scary. I use mine all the time and haven't had a problem.
It could be as Sarah says, they may have had hairline cracks or something.
Strange.

Jan 13th, '09, 21:08
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 13th, '09, 21:08

I read the post twice and didn't get it. Did you mean the glass explode when it was NOT receiving water but just sitting there?

I am watching i robot now and see this strange thing during commercial break. spooky... :twisted:

More details?
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 13th, '09, 21:26

by Cate » Jan 13th, '09, 21:26

I'm terribly sorry gingko, I had this great long post typed out and it said it was spam and deleted it LOL, so i was really lazy when I re-wrote it.

So I'll explain again hehe :)

I ordered 2 teacups and 2 saucers.
The first saucer exploded when it was completely empty, at room temperature, and had not been used in over a day. Seriously. It was sitting on my counter and my roommate and I heard glass shatter everywhere (and we were home alone and have no pets, so nothing bumped it.) When I got up to go look, The teacup had not moved an inch, but the saucer under it had literally exploded and sent glass EVERYWHERE. These sets had not been touched in over 24 hours, and once again, were completely empty. Room temperature.

I emailed Adagio, and they really were fantastic. They sent me a new saucer as soon as I told them what happened. Definitely A+ on the customer service, for sure.

So today, I made a pot of tea. I took my teapot, my teacup, and my spare saucer (because the other one had shattered) to my bedroom and set them on the nightstand. I made white tea, so the temperature was only at about 175. Anyway, I was in bed drinking my tea and on the phone. The teapot and the saucer were sitting on my nightstand. I was holding my teacup probably for a good three minutes when I heard glass shatter right next to me, and I felt glass lodge itself in my arm.... the saucer exploded.

It just doesn't make sense. And I'm absolutely terrified now to drink out of any of these glass cups, or even use the glass teapot I purchased from teavana. I just keep thanking God that I wasn't holding the saucer when it exploded, because if those glass bits got in my eye, I would have been in a lot of trouble.

I hope that explanation is a bit clearer!

Jan 13th, '09, 21:29

by Cate » Jan 13th, '09, 21:29

Oh, and I also forgot to mention that when I went back to read the reviews, another customer mentioned her saucer exploded, too. But it sounds like it only happened to the two of us!

Jan 13th, '09, 23:43

by Pentox » Jan 13th, '09, 23:43

Wow, that's really strange. I can't imagine hairline cracks doing that as they wouldn't have any energy to release to explode. And it sounds like temp wasn't really in play here if the first one was sitting there for quite some time.

That's horrible to hear that it cut your arm too. I use glass teaware all the time and this is honestly the first time I've heard about it happening.

I'm glad to hear that Adagio was very good about their customer service for you. I wonder what the fault is with the product that could have caused that.

---insert non serious line here, comments below this line are not serious---

So do you by chance live on an ancient indian burial ground or is your house haunted?

Jan 14th, '09, 00:14

by Tea Noob » Jan 14th, '09, 00:14

Very interesting story. Glad to hear you haven't been seriously injured. Maybe you could ask Adagio to provide you some credit so you can get something else. I wouldn't want to worry about it happening again if I were you.

On a lighter note, maybe you have mastered telekinesis.

Jan 14th, '09, 01:26

by Oni » Jan 14th, '09, 01:26

When you pour hot water into normal glass it splits, it never explodes, these are lead free glass, but how can such internal pressure build up in a saucer. I would take adagio to trial, they might have bought their teaware from terrorists, who intentionally make dangerous glassware, maybe it is from Afganistan, and made by Al quaeda.

Jan 14th, '09, 11:13
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 14th, '09, 11:13

Apparently tempered glass that has impurities can shatter without the application of external forces.

Please read this:

http://www.agc-flatglass.co.th/en/produ ... mpered.asp

Do not ask for replacements from Adagio. The product is defective.

Send them the link in an email and advise them that their glass batch has quality control problems. Better that they return the entire batch to the product distributor, than to continue to send out replacements that may also break unexpectedly.

Fortunately, tempered glass tends to break into rounded small bits rather than sharp shards, so the odds of being impaled by glass are low.

Jan 14th, '09, 12:21

by Victoria » Jan 14th, '09, 12:21

Wow, good research Intuit - I looked for quite awhile myself and didn't find much.

I agree, there definitely must be impurities in the glass. I woud not feel comfortable using the replacement. Although maybe it is just a few pieces that are bad, I still wouldn't take the chance of it deciding to "do its thing" while I was holding near boiling tea.

After checking, the cup and saucer set I have is the Jumbo Cup and Saucer and the saucer design is different.

I might suggest to you to get a nice wood saucer. They look great with glass and in addition to not breaking, you don't have that glass on glass thing - that makes me a little crazy. But that's another story.

+ Post Reply