Caveat - I've a heathen, uncultured, Western palate.wyardley wrote:One other thing to keep in mind is whether you want the cake to drink now or not. I would buy a 2008 7542 (in fact, I have some), but I wouldn't be tempted to drink a whole lot of it now.
If you're looking for a tea to drink now, shu (loose or in cakes), loose aged sheng in smaller quantities, samples of aged sheng, wet or fairly humid stored cakes or tuos with at least 5-10 years on them, etc. might be better places to start. Depending on how new you are, I would say it's a good idea to first get an idea of the spectrum of puer tea and figure out which teas taste good to you and make your body feel good. A whole cake is almost a pound of tea, so it's a lot of tea if it ends up being something you don't like. There are some good threads already on here about good stuff for beginners to try to get an idea of the characteristics that are roughly typical of various types of tea.
While there are, of course, many people who disagree, I think a lot of people would argue that it's not a great idea to drink a ton of young (<10 yr) sheng.
(Hey - I'm a heathen, uncultured Westerner.)
That stated ...
As a rule, I've not been terribly fond of the older sheng I've drank (drunk? drunken?). But I've rather enjoyed some 3-7 year old stuff.
What's your experience? And what's so awful about drinking younger sheng?
- Richard