Anyone try PS's 2006 CNNP 5961's?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 15:29
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

Anyone try PS's 2006 CNNP 5961's?

by tony shlongini » Feb 7th, '09, 15:29

Any experience?

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 18:42
Posts: 747
Joined: Dec 30th, '07, 00:10
Location: Earth

by PolyhymnianMuse » Feb 7th, '09, 18:42

I'm interested aswell. If its any good or has any sort of possible potential for ageing, I was going to pick up an armful of the yellow mark ones (just because my fav color is yellow) :lol: :P

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 19:08
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Feb 7th, '09, 19:08

Yeah, I too am interested. Looks like someone will have to make the first move. . . .

Oh, and Poly looks like you wont be able to pick up alot of the yellows as there is only 1 left.

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 19:19
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Feb 7th, '09, 19:19

Why are there so many different colors and classes?

They look like the discus shape made with metallic molds rather than regular cakes.

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 19:24
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Feb 7th, '09, 19:24

Salsero wrote:Why are there so many different colors and classes?

They look like the discus shape made with metallic molds rather than regular cakes.
dont know about the colors but they are not normal cakes, they're iron cakes.

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 20:18
Posts: 747
Joined: Dec 30th, '07, 00:10
Location: Earth

by PolyhymnianMuse » Feb 7th, '09, 20:18

Where does it say that there is only 1 left?
Yea they are deff iron cakes, not sure about the difference (if any) though

Feb 7th, '09, 21:25

by Deleted User #17777 » Feb 7th, '09, 21:25

iron cakes are compressed with an iron mold in a hydrulic press, rather than with stone and a cloth bag. They are much more densely packed than stone pressed tea, making them age slower. After the nationalization of the tea factories, one change was these more mechanized processes. There are some notable iron cakes, so there is some nostaglia for them, but they are from the 70's, and would have probably been wonderful with out the iron pressed process.

See link here: http://www.amazon.com/1970-Iron-Cake-Be ... B000CD4T6G

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 21:37
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Feb 7th, '09, 21:37

Are all the iron cakes discus shaped? I believe that some regularly shaped cakes are also compressed hydraulically, but maybe not in iron forms.

Feb 7th, '09, 21:43

by Deleted User #17777 » Feb 7th, '09, 21:43

in my in-expert opinion, I'd say most puerh is pressed on a hydrolic press, but in cloth bags. This gives the "knot" on back, and a tapered edge.

See pu-erh.net

http://www.pu-erh.net/sections.php?Choice=Green_Puerh

edited to add cloud video on differences between iron (discus) and "7 sons"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiVeCLa0CZQ

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 22:11
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Feb 7th, '09, 22:11

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Where does it say that there is only 1 left?
Yea they are deff iron cakes, not sure about the difference (if any) though
If you put the object in you cart, you can type in quantity numbers and press recalculate to see how many are left. When there are not enough left in stock to satisfy your order a red warning bar will appear and tell you.

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 22:12
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Feb 7th, '09, 22:12

Boy, TomVerlain and Shogun89, you are both smart guys!

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 22:18
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Feb 7th, '09, 22:18

Salsero wrote:Boy, TomVerlain and Shogun89, you are both smart guys!
Hehe thanks, I use that method to determine what to buy when. By the way I just ordered a tong of the 2008 CNNP Bulang cakes from Puerh Shop. Cant wait to get it! TONG!

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 23:00
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Feb 7th, '09, 23:00

Tong time!

I still don't have a tong of anything. :cry:

Is that a good cake? I don't remember seeing a review of it anywhere.

User avatar
Feb 7th, '09, 23:25
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Feb 7th, '09, 23:25

Salsero wrote:Tong time!

I still don't have a tong of anything. :cry:

Is that a good cake? I don't remember seeing a review of it anywhere.
For the price its a great cake, sorry I haven't gotten a review of it up yet, too lazy, hehe. Next week when I get the tong I'll post pics of it and do a detailed review of it with pics. Good stuff, just couldent pass it up for the price, especially since I dont have to wait for China shipping.

User avatar
Feb 8th, '09, 08:45
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Feb 8th, '09, 08:45

I bought the red label tie bing, but I don't picture myself opening it for quite some time. It's very flat and Xiaguan-like in compression. (I enjoy the fact that the wrapper isn't sealed- bad for authenticity, perhaps, but great for taking a peak. I hate having to rip open the wrapper.) The absence of the reverse side "dimple" is strange. I figured if I didn't like the tea, I could always use it to fashion a replica of Oddjob's hat.



Shogun- did you sample that CNNP Bulang? (Is it the one that goes for a whopping eight semolians?) I'm not kidding when I say that a bing is a sample, but even I would try something before investing in a tong. :lol: How was it?

+ Post Reply