2 Huang Zhi DanCongs from TeaHabitat

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 10th, '09, 15:49
Scrolling: scrolling

2 Huang Zhi DanCongs from TeaHabitat

by Herb_Master » Feb 10th, '09, 15:49

I have been having a great time playing with my first couple of DanCongs from Imen.

The 2008 HuangZhi and the LionHead HuangZhi

First it was a great excuse to use a zen8tea Yixing that has been waiting for some HuangZhi to arrive, and then in a Gaiwan and then using one of Imen's special recommendations.

I started with 7gm in a 140 ml Yixing [that was the most favourable loading that I had arrived at when trying DanCongs from Teacuppa, Dragonhouse and Teance]

Flash rinse, 20s, 25s, 35s, 45s, 45s, 60s and the following morning 90s and 120s it would probably have gone further - but I was eager to try it in a Gaiwan.
Similar for both the LionHead and straight HuangZhi.

Both showed what my brain told me at the time was higher roasting than any other DanCongs I had tried.

The LionHead markedly so!
Nowhere near as fragrant as my other DanCongs, a flavour reminiscent of Black Tea [um! that should have been a giveaway!] A very strong texture/flavour on the tip of the tongue and a pleasant, strong dark flavour pervading the mouth. The darkness reminiscent of the bitterness and charcoal that I have found in aged Shui Xian [and did not like] but this was more vibrant and enjoyable and I liked it.

After swallowing a tingle remained most noticeably on the tip of my tongue and to a lesser extent round the sides of the mouth. The tip of the tongue also felt ? "calm and happy" ? and I kept wanting to lick my lips which then experienced a very silky feeling.

The straight HuangZhi was similar to the LionHead but the effects were less pronounced.

I asked Imen [on her blog] for information on the degree of roasting - and her instantaneous reply hit me with a loud thud. They were not heavily roasted but had greater oxidisation than many oolongs. That explained my likening it to Black tea probably. Ever since taking an interest in Oolongs I have been aware that oolongs bridge the not inconsiderable gap between Green and Black tea in terms of fermentation/oxidisation - yet there has been so much talk on these boards of roasting that it had slipped my mind :lol:

In the Gaiwan the teas showed [with my loading modified downward slightly from my normal DanCong loading - this time 4gm to a 150ml] there was more fragrance, though I would be hard pressed to have identified it as an Orange Blossom fragrance :shock: The dark flavours and textures had nearly all gone but lingered still on the tip of the tongue and the silky lips bit worked as well.

Imen also recommended that the best way to brew a new DanCong to help you get the feel of what it is capable of and how it might best be brewed is to put a scant 1gm in a 120ml Yixing and brew it for 2 minutes. Only finding 90, 100, 150 and 200ml Gaiwans at my disposal I settled for 1.25 gm in the 150 Gaiwan.

Incredible difference, the Fragrance came shining through, the liquor was weaker but still had plenty of life and was very enjoyable. The silky nature had gone, and the lingering happiness on the end of my tongue was barely noticeable after a few seconds [previously it had lasted up to a minute. This time however the haooiness had found it's way to my stomach and I kept sitting back contentedly like the Cheshire Cat.

I still did not notice 'Orange Blossom' until my 3rd brew, then a few bowls wafted something that seemed much more like that kind of fragrance up the back of my mouth. Having taken Imen's advice on a 2 minute steep, I was unsure how to proceed, I cautiously tried the 2nd steep at 4 minutes [too short I fear] the 3rd I gave 13 minutes and it was superb!
Best wishes from Cheshire

Feb 10th, '09, 15:52

Re: 2 Huang Zhi DanCongs from TeaHabitat

by Herb_Master » Feb 10th, '09, 15:52

Herb_Master wrote: Imen also recommended that the best way to brew a new DanCong !
I forgot to add that Imen also recommended not to do a rinse - so my 1.25 gm Gaiwan and subsequent repeats in my Yixing have been without a rinse.

Feb 10th, '09, 22:33

by xuancheng » Feb 10th, '09, 22:33

Herb_Master wrote: I would be hard pressed to have identified it as an Orange Blossom fragrance
The huangzhi or zhizi xiang as far as I know does not have anything to do with orange blossoms. I think most automatic translators don't have 黄栀子 in their dictionary, so people tend to write down orange blossom.

As far as I can tell, Zhizi is a general term for gardenias of all sorts.

The fruit of the gardenia can be used to make a yellow dye, which is why they add a huang (yellow) at the beginning. Somehow, in the process of translation, it mutated into orange.

Feb 10th, '09, 23:41
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 10th, '09, 23:41

The orange blossom fragrance seems to be the same as "pomelo blossom fragrance" (you hua xiang), which is different from huang zhi xiang, which, as xuancheng said is related to a different flower.

But I've found the fragrance titles of dan cong very confusing. In the past there was the common saying that there were 10 fragrance categories (which has different versions). Then nowadays some saying is there are 20 something major fragrance categories. I wonder if someone would say there are more than 30 :P

And all the fragrances are just metaphors, and may taste differently on different people's tongues. As a non-native, some fragrance names won't mean anything to me. For example, I've never seen or smelt a ginger flower, therefore I can only enjoy the "ginger flower fragrance" dan cong, but the name doesn't ring a bell.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Feb 11th, '09, 02:02

by Oni » Feb 11th, '09, 02:02

I tried this smaller amount in gaiwan and longer infusion with a few of my Dancongs, and it tought me a bit about this teas nature, and that the astringency is in the nature of this tea, so probably I should try the way Imen brewed it with the Chao Zhou teaware, but I do not own one.

Feb 11th, '09, 06:46

by Herb_Master » Feb 11th, '09, 06:46

Oni wrote:I tried this smaller amount in gaiwan and longer infusion with a few of my Dancongs, and it tought me a bit about this teas nature, and that the astringency is in the nature of this tea, so probably I should try the way Imen brewed it with the Chao Zhou teaware, but I do not own one.
I have been in the habit, when I have less than 4gm left of a tea of using it up in a blend - but now I have opportunities to use it unadulterated!

If you come across a European source for Olive Pit Stoves, decent Charcoal or other Chao Zhou goodies - please let us know!

Feb 11th, '09, 08:40

by hop_goblin » Feb 11th, '09, 08:40

Great Review Herb M. Thanks

Feb 11th, '09, 14:08

by wyardley » Feb 11th, '09, 14:08

Herb_Master wrote: If you come across a European source for Olive Pit Stoves, decent Charcoal or other Chao Zhou goodies - please let us know!
for charcoal itself, you could try this Spanish source:
http://www.charcolive.com/english/index_e.html

It's from Spanish olives, not the Chinese ones, which are slightly different, but I believe it should be suitable for this use. I wanted to order some, but they don't ship the US currently.

Feb 11th, '09, 14:50

by Herb_Master » Feb 11th, '09, 14:50

Interesting replies from Xuancheng and Gingko - yesterday I would have agreed with you both that OrangeFlower fragrance was a totally inappropriate label for the tea(s) that I was drinking.

After side by side comparisons of the 2 with high loading shortish steeps and extremely low loading and long steeps - I played on in the middle ground with the Lionhead and got slightly more Orangey like fragrance.

I also re-read "Thanks's" blog article on the same tea and was delighted to find he had similarly favourable experiences of bite, comfort and longevity over numerous infusions. He mentioned difficulty with Named Fragrance, but detected citrusy notes, the first time I read that I wondered if he was mentally wanting it to be so, but as I tried more brews with middle loading and mid length steeps I was warming to the idea myself.

http://teajournaling.blogspot.com/2009/ ... e-and.html

I also need to read up about hui gan & cha qi and see if they are perhaps a better way of describing what I currently call comfort and a sense of elevation while drinking or contentedness and wellbeing after drinking.

Today I have been playing with the straight Huang Zhi about 4 grams in a 140ml Yixing and trying imitation style Chao Zhou drinking - No Rinse, No Pitcher - straight out into (boiling hot) cups and drink them quickly while still very hot - I was shocked that the fragrance got stronger as I went through the Infusions -

starting with 30 seconds [too short, I suppose the lack of the rinse means you have to increase the 1st steep to compensate for the leaf being still asleep] But much more Orangey Pefume than yesterday [sat at a table whilst pouring quickly from the teapot to each of 3 cups in turn I could Definitely smell Philadelphus]

assuming the leaf would be awake now my 2nd infusion was 40 seconds [still too weak - but still Orangey to a decent extent.

3rd Infusion - 2 minutes - Wow Orange Flower fragrance everywhere! But still not much sign of the silky lips, elevated comfort and wellbeing that I got from the previous day's High Loading.

Feb 11th, '09, 14:56

by Herb_Master » Feb 11th, '09, 14:56

Herb_Master wrote: Interesting replies from Xuancheng and Gingko - yesterday I would have agreed with you both that OrangeFlower fragrance was a totally inappropriate label for the tea(s) that I was drinking.
But going over Imen's blog articles again there is an increasing tendency for her over the last few months to talk of dancongs in terms of fragrance and she definitely calls Huang Zhi - Orange Blossom in numerous places. She also highlights the ability/ inability of good/bad manufacture to instil the natural fragrance in the finished tea, and the use by the consumer of appropriate water, temperatures (water, equipment etc) to draw them out.

I think I may just have got lucky today from the fragrance point of view.

Feb 11th, '09, 17:54

by Herb_Master » Feb 11th, '09, 17:54

wyardley wrote:
Herb_Master wrote: If you come across a European source for Olive Pit Stoves, decent Charcoal or other Chao Zhou goodies - please let us know!

It's from Spanish olives, not the Chinese ones, which are slightly different, but I believe it should be suitable for this use. I wanted to order some, but they don't ship the US currently.
Thanks Will, I noticed this on a Google a while back, I holiday in that region of spain from time to time, so will have to research outlets prior to my next trip. They do not appear to sell, other than through supermarket type places.

Even if I do not acquire a Chao Zhou stove - it may be useful for improving water.
charcolive® improves water taste and softness by absorbing chlorinated compounds. It is useful product for improving drinking and bath water.

charcolive® is 5 times more effective than the traditional Japanese charcoal binchotan.

Feb 11th, '09, 19:35

by wyardley » Feb 11th, '09, 19:35

Herb_Master wrote: Thanks Will, I noticed this on a Google a while back, I holiday in that region of spain from time to time, so will have to research outlets prior to my next trip. They do not appear to sell, other than through supermarket type places.
They have an online store, which I think you can order from within the EU.

Feb 11th, '09, 20:18

by Herb_Master » Feb 11th, '09, 20:18

wyardley wrote:
They have an online store, which I think you can order from within the EU.
Thanks Will, I missed that last time, Obviously did not click in the right place - or else they have updated in the last few months.

Going abroad in a few weeks to Malaysia (Hope to get tea in Kuala Lumpur Chinatown, and Cameron Highlands, while I am there) so will put in an order when I return.

Feb 12th, '09, 06:37

by Herb_Master » Feb 12th, '09, 06:37

Herb_Master wrote: and I kept wanting to lick my lips which then experienced a very silky feeling.
Perhaps I was experiencing "Sheng Jin", though I found no real accompanying "Hui Tian" I can believe I experienced "Hui Yun"

Having read

Thursday, July 13, 2006
The Ineffable, Effable, Effanineffable...

on the following blog
http://tarikteh.blogspot.com/
Before we can get Hui Tian, we need the enzymes to break down the sugars in the tea. When the tea washes over the mouth, some chemicals in it excite the saliva glands on the two sides under the tongue to produce saliva. The welling of saliva under the tongue is called Sheng Jin.Hui Yun is an even more elusive term, it is more of a feeling that a tangible feel in the mouth: it is a combination of the above and the experience of drinking the tea. One will have to drink the tea in order to experience this…it is the inexpressible, as T.S. Eliot writes in The Dry Salvages:

We had the experience but missed the meaning
And approach to the meaning restores the experience
In a different form beyond any meaning
We can assign to happiness
The past experience revived in the meaning
Is not the experience of one life only
But of many generations
Not forgetting something that is probably quite ineffable

May 17th, '09, 17:43

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '09, 17:43

wyardley wrote:

I have ordered some, the look and feel of the site has changed a lot since the previous times I visited them online.

My shipping costs are actually greater than the product costs 40 + 50 for 6 lots of 300 gram twin packs.

The site's new look - worryingly - places less stress on food and greater stress on Bedding and Cats.

If I don't find it as useful for my water as I expect it to, I shall have to donate it to one of my cat suffering friends whose wives have a houseful of cats!

+ Post Reply