The Japanese Green Tea Shop

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 17th, '09, 14:32

The Japanese Green Tea Shop

by Pentox » Feb 17th, '09, 14:32

It looks like TJGTS finally got a better name.

www.yuuki-cha.com

I didn't know that yuuki also translated to organic. I guess that makes sense for these guys. At first I was like Courage-Tea ? What the hell?

Feb 17th, '09, 14:51

Re: The Japanese Green Tea Shop

by auggy » Feb 17th, '09, 14:51

Pentox wrote:At first I was like Courage-Tea ? What the hell?
Ha - I did the same thing! Then I had flashes from the jdrama Doku where he turns her name Yuki into yuuki on her first day of teaching (she's scared to be teaching the rude and loud gaijin, blah blah blah)

I swear, the only people that ever saw that show were those who were exchange students that were in Japan while it was on.

Yuki ga suki desu.

Not really, but he was from Vietnam so the whole snow thing was big. Seeing snow, her name...

Okay, I'm going to stop now and just apologize for frequenting this board while tired, bored, headache-y and caffeinated. So sorry. :oops:

Feb 17th, '09, 15:04

by Pentox » Feb 17th, '09, 15:04

Hahaha yeah I always found that difference amusing. I guess it's probably only amusing when you say them or write them in romanji. It's amusing how that one u changes the gender and the meaning. I'd have so much fun with that if I knew anyone named Yuki or Yuuki.

Tired, bored, and caffeinated make for an interesting combination though! Dunno about the headache part.

Feb 17th, '09, 17:48

by snafu » Feb 17th, '09, 17:48

How's the tea from these guys? I've never purchased from them before.

Feb 17th, '09, 18:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Feb 17th, '09, 18:07

I am delighted to have different names now for Yuuki-Cha and Japanese Green Tea Shops. For my simple mind it was impossible to keep those names straight.

Feb 17th, '09, 20:09

by auggy » Feb 17th, '09, 20:09

Pentox wrote:Hahaha yeah I always found that difference amusing. I guess it's probably only amusing when you say them or write them in romanji.
Or if you are dorks like we apparently are. And hiragana works, too. That's how Katori Shingo did it in Doku. :)

Feb 18th, '09, 13:18

by edgar_k » Feb 18th, '09, 13:18

snafu wrote:How's the tea from these guys? I've never purchased from them before.
As I buy organic whenever possible, I've purchased from them several times. Here's a rundown of my impressions:

Organic Uji Matcha Yuuki Midori -- Good, not great. I use this occasionally as an additive to smoothies and genmaicha for a pleasant effect but rarely drink it alone.

Organic sencha genmaicha -- My favorite genmaicha. Pleasant toasted, popcorn-ish taste, especially when served cold.
Organic powdered sencha -- Convenient for a quick on-the-go cup. I mix up about 500mL of this, chill it, and take it to work to sip on throughout the day.

Organic Uji Gokujo sencha -- The first serious sencha I ever tried. Very good, but easy to make bitter if you let it go a few seconds too long during the second and third steeps.

Organic Kumamoto Sencha Yabe Supreme -- I love this tea. My favorite sencha. Has a savory, buttery element I've never found anywhere else. Loses very little with second and third steeps. Ships in a vacuum-sealed pouch.

As far as other aspects of the site go, I have no complaints. They're expensive compared to what you can get elsewhere, but like I said it's worth it to me to buy organic. They package things well in those little shoebox-like containers that you hate to throw away. I even bought some of their green tea soap but haven't tried it just yet :) .

Feb 18th, '09, 14:38

by Pentox » Feb 18th, '09, 14:38

auggy wrote: Or if you are dorks like we apparently are.
I know you are, but what am I?

Feb 18th, '09, 15:59

by auggy » Feb 18th, '09, 15:59

Pentox wrote:

Feb 18th, '09, 16:16

by Chip » Feb 18th, '09, 16:16

I think one will see more organic offerings this year.

Organic is going to be much different than conventional Japanese tea, so forget about trying to compare it to Yutaka Midori from O-Cha or similar. They are as different as night and day. If you are interested in trying some of their organic tea, please PM me.

I quite liked the Yabe Supreme, and it seemed as close to a conventional sencha as any organic I have tried to date. The 20-25 USD range matcha, they are not 40-50 USD matcha, so to try and compare them to one is not going to work. The Yame matcha had a lot of flavor and has a kick to it, but seems to be a good value for everyday enjoyment, etc.

I am currently trying the new Kabuse which is pretty interesting. I have tried Yuuki-Cha's recommendation and struggled with it, but after scaling back it is definitely coming into my comfort range. I think organics require some time to adjust to in brewing and tasting. I am looking forward to trying a few of the new offerings by this vendor ... always new teas to try. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 18th, '09, 16:18

by Salsero » Feb 18th, '09, 16:18

auggy wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Chip, I am asking that we place an age limit on TeaChat membership ... let say for starters new members should be at least 8 or 10 years old.

Feb 18th, '09, 16:25

by Chip » Feb 18th, '09, 16:25

Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Chip, I am asking that we place an age limit on TeaChat membership ... let say for starters new members should be at least 8 or 10 years old.
And shall always keep their tongues in their mouths, unless sipping sencha or gulping gyokuro. :idea: :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 18th, '09, 16:31

by Pentox » Feb 18th, '09, 16:31

Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Too bad for you we're already here! neener neener neener!

Feb 18th, '09, 17:40
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 18th, '09, 17:40

I've had one good bowl of the Yame matcha and liked it a lot.

Feb 18th, '09, 21:18
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 18th, '09, 21:18

...in fact, I looked at my rapidly diminishing matcha stock and went ahead and ordered more from them just now: yame and yuuki konjo.

+ Post Reply