A life without tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 21st, '09, 16:40

A life without tea

by reincarnate » Feb 21st, '09, 16:40

Sometime I think, what if one day I found out that I couldn't drink tea anymore, because say I have an illness that will worsen because of it, or i have to take medication with which I'm not allowed to consume tea. I think about how devastating it would be and I couldn't imagine doing that. Of course there are wore tragedies that happen to people, in if you love tea, in a way you lose a big part of yourself and your lifestyle if you couldn't drink it anymore.

have any of you ever thought or imagined that?

Feb 21st, '09, 18:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Feb 21st, '09, 18:08

Tea like many things you think life would be terrible without after about a week or so of abstinence you realise it wasn't really that important.

Tea + life is preferable but life - tea isn't all that bad after a bit.

Feb 21st, '09, 18:57
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 21st, '09, 18:57

Yeah, it's not like we're talking about life without GWAR. :lol:

Feb 21st, '09, 20:25

by joelbct » Feb 21st, '09, 20:25

Give me tea, or give me....! It would be pretty sad, but I think I'd try to find something to fill the void... maybe working out more, or say, coffee....

Feb 21st, '09, 21:15

by Herb_Master » Feb 21st, '09, 21:15

I find exploring the world of exquisite tea much cheaper than exploring the world of fine wine.

If borne down by your mystery affliction I would have to go back to wine I guess!
Best wishes from Cheshire

Feb 22nd, '09, 05:45

by reincarnate » Feb 22nd, '09, 05:45

It is much cheaper, but I think it's also a much better hobby then collecting figurines for example. You buy a figurine you put it on the shelf, maybe some day you will throw it away, because you're not interested in collecting them anymore. With tea you spend money on something you can consume, you can collect the packages and caddies if you want, and if you ever get bored, having experiences a wide palette of flavors stays with you for the rest of your life. What can I say, tea is a very good hobby to have :D

Feb 22nd, '09, 18:00

by tsverrir » Feb 22nd, '09, 18:00

If I were not to drink tea for the rest of my life, I think I would still buy new teas and brew them. 1) I love the action of brewing tea. 2) I love serving my guests wonderful teas. 3) I love inspecting the beautiful leaves. 4) I could still enjoy the aroma :D

Feb 22nd, '09, 18:19

by reincarnate » Feb 22nd, '09, 18:19

yes! I could become a Tea Party host :)

Feb 22nd, '09, 22:35

by Proinsias » Feb 22nd, '09, 22:35

tsverrir wrote:If I were not to drink tea for the rest of my life, I think I would still buy new teas and brew them. 1) I love the action of brewing tea. 2) I love serving my guests wonderful teas. 3) I love inspecting the beautiful leaves. 4) I could still enjoy the aroma :D
I like the process from beginning to end, I'm not sure I'd feel the same if the process was cut short. I'd rather switch to something else I could enjoy in its entirety than probably end up feeling like a heroin addict preparing shots for someone who ain't going to enjoy it as much as I reckon I would. Maybe says more about me than it does about tea but, eh.

At the moment shaving is a good substitute. Sharpening a straight razor, building lather, shaving and finishing up nicely does about the same for me as brewing a good round of tea, obviously shaving with tea is where it's at.

Feb 23rd, '09, 06:06

Totally Devastating

by johnoed » Feb 23rd, '09, 06:06

I have a friend who used to drink a glass of red wine with his dinner every single night partially because he read that it was good for him. Then he did one of those full body scans and it turned up a genetic abnormality toward wine in general. This lead to a historical revelation that his family had been killing themselves for generations by drinking wine as a cultural hobby.

Now he doesn't have a sip of it. I can't imagine being in that situation with tea. It would be devastating.

Feb 23rd, '09, 08:31

New member and issue with high blood pressure

by davidlhsl » Feb 23rd, '09, 08:31

Edit: inquiry about tea's effect on high blood pressure withdrawn.
Last edited by davidlhsl on May 28th, '09, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.

Feb 24th, '09, 03:09

by AnthonyA » Feb 24th, '09, 03:09

"a life without tea is not worth living."

i think that's what Scorates said... :lol:

May 10th, '19, 17:39

Re: A life without tea

by Solman636 » May 10th, '19, 17:39

Emptiness and abstinence make the experiences of life even more treasured. To tell the truth, I find I need to abstain after a while to get fully rested. Tea is such a deep and active experience that it draws a lot of energy as well as giving energy, but somewhere down the line we must allow a respite. Perhaps those who drink tea without a break have become accustomed, but taking a few days off makes one appreciate the restful "tea free" sensation and the wonderful nights of sleep etc. Then one can start the tea, the tao and the laughing all over again. Be watchful for the thoughts and sensations when the tea is ceased. With or without is good, but which is healthier? If one is facing a long drive, then tea helps one survive, for sure. And the laughter from white tea is the spice of life in some ways and brings great joy with meditation. No wonder monks love their tea, but we also are in tune with attachment and know to look for the cause of suffering too. Here is a koan: Why did Bodhidarhma spill his tea? :) Hahaaaaaaaaa!

+ Post Reply