Green Tea left on warmer CHANGES

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Apr 3rd 09 3:15 am
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 29th 08 5:58 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Green Tea left on warmer CHANGES

by T4Tx » Apr 3rd 09 3:15 am

Can someone explain this phenomenon? I usually make a little pot of tea each morning at work. My pot can hold several cups. I set the pot on a cup warmer to keep it at drinking temp.

I sometimes get called away from my office and return several hours later to find my green tea has darkened to an amber shade, and has taken on a very mellow and much sweeter flavor, with a nice aroma. Always delicious. This seems to happen with any green teas, even if I have inadvertently oversteeped the tea to a nasty bitter flavor.

So, what is happening? Did I ferment the tea in the pot?

User avatar
Apr 3rd 09 4:21 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sep 24th 08 10:38 pm
Location: Boston, MA

by gingkoseto » Apr 3rd 09 4:21 pm

oxidation :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

User avatar
Apr 3rd 09 4:30 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Apr 3rd 09 4:30 pm

Tea elves ...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 3rd 09 5:37 pm
Posts: 511
Joined: Dec 26th 08 11:21 pm
Scrolling: scrolling

by bsteele » Apr 3rd 09 5:37 pm

Chip wrote:Tea elves ...
most certainly tea elves

User avatar
Apr 4th 09 1:29 pm
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 29th 08 5:58 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Thanks, I think.

by T4Tx » Apr 4th 09 1:29 pm

Tea elves... Just as I suspected.

No actually I thought I must be oxidizing it. In fact I wondered if it was really green tea anymore, or something else, like Oolong.

User avatar
Apr 4th 09 4:16 pm
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th 08 3:06 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

by silverneedles » Apr 4th 09 4:16 pm

something like:
certain polyphenols/catechins/flavonoids get oxidized, and some polymerize to form thearubigins (color red)
which changes the color and flavor.

here's a rather extreme example of ...thearubiginization?, & oxidation, its kuding cha, not c. sinensis ... more like a tissane. ... uh, so not sure if the same chemicals are involved ...

Image
on the right is the same liquor stood around for about 2-3hours

User avatar
Apr 7th 09 4:06 am
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 29th 08 5:58 pm
Location: Midland, TX

More thanks

by T4Tx » Apr 7th 09 4:06 am

What an impressive scientific explanation. Just what I wanted to feel more knowledgeable. Though I guess I will have to look up all those chemicals to feel really educated.