Apr 8th, '09, 16:58

Unlined Tetsubin Vendors

by Topmounter » Apr 8th, '09, 16:58

I'm looking for vendors who sell un-lined cast iron Tetsubins for heating water. So far the only two vendors I've found are Artistic-Nippon and Hojo.

Are there any other vendors out there I should be considering who ship to the US?

Apr 8th, '09, 17:20

by edkrueger » Apr 8th, '09, 17:20

Are you interested in antiques? http://www.genjiantiques.com is a good place to look, they don't have any on the web, but you could send them a email.

Apr 8th, '09, 19:46

by Topmounter » Apr 8th, '09, 19:46

I may do that, but I've seen another site with antique Tetsubins and most of the ones that weren't too rusted were in excess of US$1,200.

Apr 8th, '09, 20:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Apr 8th, '09, 20:00

hop_goblin posted this site recently which has had me salivating and might be worth contacting.

Apr 8th, '09, 20:58

by edkrueger » Apr 8th, '09, 20:58

Topmounter wrote:I may do that, but I've seen another site with antique Tetsubins and most of the ones that weren't too rusted were in excess of US$1,200.
Genji has some in the less than 150 range.

Apr 8th, '09, 23:10

by MarshalN » Apr 8th, '09, 23:10

I'm pretty sure life of tea is not going to get you one at $150.

If you troll around on Ebay you may actually find ones that are in decent condition. It depends on what your requirements are and what your budget is. If you want a nice antique, that's different than if you just want something to boil water in.

Apr 9th, '09, 01:12

by Oni » Apr 9th, '09, 01:12

Horaido , just type this in google, they have lots of tetsubins, I would look for activated iron, and made with ceramic mold (not sandmold), they rest is up to your aestetical preference.

Apr 9th, '09, 01:28

by chamekke » Apr 9th, '09, 01:28

Wabisabi-world sells both unlined and lined tetsubin.

Here's the link to the unlined tetsubin - called "cast iron teakettles" on this site. (In contradistinction, the lined tetsubin are called "cast iron teapots.")

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 9th, '09, 11:56

by Topmounter » Apr 9th, '09, 11:56

I'm wondering if a non-Japanese cast iron kettle would do the trick? Such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Guys-166-1012 ... d_sbs_hi_7

It's not 'Japanese', but it is cast-iron and not expensive. This might be a good way to give cast iron a try before spending hundreds of dollars on a proper Tetsubin. Not to mention, I can always relegate this kettle to my wood stove.

Apr 9th, '09, 12:30

by Oni » Apr 9th, '09, 12:30

Please read the description of the japanese tetsubin at www.hojotea.com, it is very informative, and it says why they are special, what is activated iron, how does that affect water, it gives taste to water, the tea becomes greener and more flavourful, something like this can be expected, so I wouldn`t mind spending 200$ + shipping on an original one, rather than spending 50 $ on a reproduction that doesn`t do the magic. P.S. take these people seriously when they say that yixing teapots, ceramic kettles, silver kettles, tetsubins, diffrent types of clay kyusu`s from japan, and these special teaware like the olive pit charcoal, they really change the whole tea experience, so it is like staying on the right path with reading about these and someday maybe buying them or straying from they right path, spending a lot, and finally realizing that you have spent a lot on things that are useless, I admit that I have bought teaware that are useless now, but learning takes time.

Apr 9th, '09, 17:13

by edkrueger » Apr 9th, '09, 17:13

Apr 9th, '09, 17:26

by Topmounter » Apr 9th, '09, 17:26

I'm waiting on a response from A-N to order that kettle now. I'm still going to get the cheapo kettle for my wood burning stove and compare the two :)

Apr 9th, '09, 17:34

by edkrueger » Apr 9th, '09, 17:34

I thought you would like that one. Has a great price for sure!

Apr 10th, '09, 09:59

by Tead Off » Apr 10th, '09, 09:59

Oni wrote:Please read the description of the japanese tetsubin at www.hojotea.com, it is very informative, and it says why they are special, what is activated iron, how does that affect water, it gives taste to water, the tea becomes greener and more flavourful, something like this can be expected, so I wouldn`t mind spending 200$ + shipping on an original one, rather than spending 50 $ on a reproduction that doesn`t do the magic. P.S. take these people seriously when they say that yixing teapots, ceramic kettles, silver kettles, tetsubins, diffrent types of clay kyusu`s from japan, and these special teaware like the olive pit charcoal, they really change the whole tea experience, so it is like staying on the right path with reading about these and someday maybe buying them or straying from they right path, spending a lot, and finally realizing that you have spent a lot on things that are useless, I admit that I have bought teaware that are useless now, but learning takes time.
I just visited Hojo's tea shop in Kuala Lumpur and saw firsthand the quality and committment they put into their product line. I have searched the web a lot for other sites, and, the only other ones are Artistic Nippon, which have some of the same tetsubin Hojo offers made by Kunzan, and, Horaido, mentioned ealier, who have a large selection but don't offer any info on who made it and how.

While at Hojo, I had a demo of Puerh tea made from tetsubin water in earthenware pot and then poured into a Bankoyaki cup. The best puerh tea I have ever had! The tetsubin and bankoyaki are a match made in heaven. I never knew Puerh could be so fragrant and tasty. It was a revelation. This was a side by side test of stainless steel kettle water into earthenware pot into porcelain cup. Flavorless by comparison.

hojotea has some very beautiful pots, all unlined. The ones by the woman artist on his site were a step above anything I have ever seen. Not cheap, but great.

Apr 10th, '09, 11:05

by Oni » Apr 10th, '09, 11:05

I own a bankoyaki teapot made by Tachi Masaki (the same artist that hojotea has), and I have noticed that it makes tea smoother and sweeter.
The earthenware pot you mentioned what clay was it? And finally the teacup, I haven`t paid much attention to it, I always thought that the teacup should be made of white porcelain, but if it can make a diffrence. Anyway I am glad that you confirm that these things do make a diffrence, so they are worth the extra cash.

+ Post Reply