So... I just got a late 19th century pewter caddy, and will be using it to store some 2004 oolong (it's something like TKY, long story about what it really is). I read on life of tea (http://www.lifeoftea.com/canisters.php) that they line tin caddies with paper.
Do I need to do the same?
Apr 12th, '09, 02:56
Posts: 281
Joined: Mar 6th, '08, 18:02
Location: immersed in tea
Contact:
trent
Hi
I have a 19th C Chinese pewter tea caddy, and I would not actually use it for tea, as the pewter inside has a bit of oxidation, powerdery, which probably has a high lead content. The pewter is much softer than the newer one.
The other one pictured is "contemporary" ( looks mid 20th C), and the pewter is very hard, a finger nail could not dent or scrape this one. It looks much safer - like actual "food grade" type of material.
While authentic is fun, I would errr on the side of safety. You can buy lead testers for $10-15 that test the surface of any material.


I have a 19th C Chinese pewter tea caddy, and I would not actually use it for tea, as the pewter inside has a bit of oxidation, powerdery, which probably has a high lead content. The pewter is much softer than the newer one.
The other one pictured is "contemporary" ( looks mid 20th C), and the pewter is very hard, a finger nail could not dent or scrape this one. It looks much safer - like actual "food grade" type of material.
While authentic is fun, I would errr on the side of safety. You can buy lead testers for $10-15 that test the surface of any material.


Re: pewter caddies
How about a photo?trent wrote:So... I just got a late 19th century pewter caddy, and will be using it to store some 2004 oolong (it's something like TKY, long story about what it really is). I read on life of tea (http://www.lifeoftea.com/canisters.php) that they line tin caddies with paper.
Do I need to do the same?
TokyoB
Aaron's rationale is that the metal comes into contact with the tea and will lead to the tea changing in undesirable ways, thus the paper. I actually don't think a piece of paper will do anything to help and is probably more placebo than anything else.
As for your question -- it depends entirely on the condition of the caddy itself. If it's dirty inside, cleaning it is almost impossible and you're better off just keeping it around for fun. So far I only use the ones with very high tin purity to actually store tea -- the other ones are just for fun.
As for your question -- it depends entirely on the condition of the caddy itself. If it's dirty inside, cleaning it is almost impossible and you're better off just keeping it around for fun. So far I only use the ones with very high tin purity to actually store tea -- the other ones are just for fun.
Apr 12th, '09, 21:16
Posts: 1777
Joined: Jun 4th, '08, 19:41
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Stockport, England
Contact:
Herb_Master
Strange
Such as the very expensive Royal Selangor ones that keep attracting my attention
http://www.royalselangor.com/rs2/produc ... tSKU=4471G
Stranger still!
Presumably modern high quality ones are suitable for storing tea!MarshalN wrote: So far I only use the ones with very high tin purity to actually store tea -- the other ones are just for fun.
Such as the very expensive Royal Selangor ones that keep attracting my attention
http://www.royalselangor.com/rs2/produc ... tSKU=4471G
Stranger still!
Last edited by Herb_Master on Apr 12th, '09, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 12th, '09, 21:31
Posts: 1777
Joined: Jun 4th, '08, 19:41
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Stockport, England
Contact:
Herb_Master