Nervous about Pu erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 8:39 am
Posts: 96
Joined: Mar 14th 09 5:33 pm
Location: USA

Nervous about Pu erh

by CutieAgouti » Apr 15th 09 8:39 am

Hello Pu erh fans! I recently ordered a sample size of pu erh from adagio. I'm a bit nervous to try it out though. I'm just wondering about a few things.

Is it an acquired taste?

Is loose leaf pu erh very different from the compact pu erh? Taste wise or smell wise (this smells SO earthy!!)

And is it best to try it in its pure form or should I add anything to it? (I'm typically a purist when it comes down to additives and don't use them).

Thanks!

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 8:43 am
Posts: 168
Joined: Mar 16th 09 7:16 am
Location: Asia

by sp1key » Apr 15th 09 8:43 am

pure form, no need to add anything else...

depending on which puerh you have, its divided into raw (sheng) and ripe (shou). The later requires less time for aging. Strong earthy smell could be due to the storage condition the aging of the puerh.
Young raw pu hurts the stomach for most and isn't entirely enjoyable. '

Try them out see which suits you

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 1:14 pm
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

by MarshalN » Apr 15th 09 1:14 pm

The adagio stuff is all cooked anyway, so no worries -- drink like you would any normal tea. It shouldn't be that nasty.

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 1:14 pm
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd 08 9:07 pm
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Apr 15th 09 1:14 pm

Nothing to be nervous about, other than receiving an inferior example of the breed. If you enjoy tea, there are myriad selections to keep you happy. If you want to "collect" tea, there is really only one* choice- pu'er.





*With apologies to fans of aged oolong, liu an, and nitpicking.

Apr 15th 09 3:01 pm
Posts: 275
Joined: Jul 23rd 09 11:54 am

by beecrofter » Apr 15th 09 3:01 pm

A very quick rinse, and perhaps a small pinch of salt if your water is somewhat flat.
Earthy is the common description of puerh.
There are thousands of teas out there in case this one doesn't do it for you.

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 6:41 pm
Posts: 96
Joined: Mar 14th 09 5:33 pm
Location: USA

by CutieAgouti » Apr 15th 09 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to try some tonight once I'm done with work and let you know what I think!

Also how is the adagio pu erh tea cooked? Is it a roasting process?

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 6:51 pm
Posts: 330
Joined: Feb 27th 08 4:03 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Dizzwave » Apr 15th 09 6:51 pm

CutieAgouti wrote:Also how is the adagio pu erh tea cooked? Is it a roasting process?
"Cooked" pu-erh isn't actually cooked. "Composted" might be more of a correct word. :) Not very appetizing, is it? They basically let the leaves sit in piles in a warm humid room, under blankets, for a month or two. It was devised in the 70s as a way of speed-aging the tea. It doesn't quite taste like truly aged "raw" pu-erh, but it's delicious in and of itself. Or is it? That's for you to decide. :) Don't let one make or break it for you though.. There are some nasty ones and some amazing ones. I haven't personally tried Adagio's.
good luck!
-dave

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 7:08 pm
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

by MarshalN » Apr 15th 09 7:08 pm

Although cooked is not necessarily wrong either -- after all, the temperatures in the piles get quite high.

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 7:37 pm
Posts: 130
Joined: Mar 6th 09 4:44 am

Re: Nervous about Pu erh

by teaskeptic » Apr 15th 09 7:37 pm

CutieAgouti wrote: Is it an acquired taste?
It definitely was for me. Chances are you will be pretty confused after you try it tonight!

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 8:24 pm
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th 08 3:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Apr 15th 09 8:24 pm

The others have pretty much covered everything you asked but I will add this. If you do not enjoy the Adagio samples, DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!! Adagio is not prided on carrying "the good stuff" (sorry Adagio). I would highly recommend getting some samples through www.puerhshop.com and exploring from there. It is truly an amazing tea and should not be given up on because of a bad sample.

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 8:39 pm
Posts: 330
Joined: Feb 27th 08 4:03 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Dizzwave » Apr 15th 09 8:39 pm

shogun89 wrote:..."the good stuff" ... www.puerhshop.com ...
Hmmmmmmm......... :?

Apr 15th 09 9:32 pm
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th 08 3:03 am

by edkrueger » Apr 15th 09 9:32 pm

Dizzwave wrote:
shogun89 wrote:..."the good stuff" ... www.puerhshop.com ...
Hmmmmmmm......... :?
Yeah, double hmm...

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 9:43 pm
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th 08 3:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Apr 15th 09 9:43 pm

I am not refering to this as being "the good stuff" either, sorry I did word it funny. If thats what your looking for then YSLLC would be the way to go. I was more referring to PS as an excellent first time place because it has fairly good products at decent prices righ there in the US. Its just more user friendly than an E-Bay source.

User avatar
Apr 15th 09 9:51 pm
Posts: 330
Joined: Feb 27th 08 4:03 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

by Dizzwave » Apr 15th 09 9:51 pm

Well it depends what you're looking for, I guess. YS is great for young stuff. Nadacha is great for decent prices on what I'd call good (including older) stuff. Hou De is good for good stuff, if you can afford it. Puerhshop is good for stuff that you already know is going to be good (either from trusted reviewers, or samples), but I don't just take my chances there anymore. etc. etc. etc.! there are lots of little places out there to be discovered too, I'm sure.

Apr 16th 09 12:27 am
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th 06 5:42 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

by Proinsias » Apr 16th 09 12:27 am

tony shlongini wrote:Nothing to be nervous about, other than receiving an inferior example of the breed. If you enjoy tea, there are myriad selections to keep you happy. If you want to "collect" tea, there is really only one* choice- pu'er.





*With apologies to fans of aged oolong, liu an, and nitpicking.
It's been noted you extend no apology to the fans of liu bao.