Bancha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 17th, '09, 14:01

Bancha

by durak » Apr 17th, '09, 14:01

What should bancha be like? I mean is there some traditional way it is produced, or just anything of a lesser quality/picked in autumn is "bancha"? For example these two banchas look a whole lot different
(are also priced accordingly) I have the upper one, it is nice in its own wet ashtray kind of way. :D The second one I imagine would taste very much like sencha from the looks of it.

Apr 17th, '09, 15:01

by olivierco » Apr 17th, '09, 15:01

Your bancha has been roasted. Hence the "wet ashtray" impression I guess.

Apr 17th, '09, 15:22

by durak » Apr 17th, '09, 15:22

yes it is roasted. that adds to my confusion about what counts as "bancha". From the vendor's website: "Bancha receives an extra strong firing which creates its special taste. The tea is well liked for its refreshing aromatic and
lightly 'smoky' flavor."
Should probably be "'This' bancha receives..."?

Apr 17th, '09, 15:28

by olivierco » Apr 17th, '09, 15:28

durak wrote: Should probably be "'This' bancha receives..."?
Yes. Here is the japanese tea family:

http://www.ippodo-tea.co.jp/en/tea/grouping.html

Apr 18th, '09, 05:00

by durak » Apr 18th, '09, 05:00

Thanks, I think I get it now.

found this from ippodo:
The word "bancha" has 2 meanings: daily casual tea, and local tea. In the Kyoto area, when people use the word "bancha", more often than not they are referring to Iri-bancha.

Iri-bancha has long been a favorite tea among Kyotoites. After the first tea picking of the year, leaves, stems and small twigs from the lower portions of the tea plant are collected, steamed, dried (but not rolled), and roasted at high heat. The result is an unmistakably unique smoky flavor and aroma, somewhat similar to the smell of a campfire or bonfire. This is definitely a tea that needs to be sampled firsthand to be fully appreciated.

I didn't mean that wet ashtray in a bad way btw, the tea has a very mild but nice and smooth taste, good for a late night tea. And it doesn't cost practically anything, ippodo sells it for 350yen for 200g.

Apr 18th, '09, 08:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 18th, '09, 08:57

Bancha is extremely variable, encompasses so many different manufacture processes. Some are roasted or pan fired. Some are green. Some are on the bitter side. Some are very "smooth" or mild or lacking in flavor.

And vendors each sell their own bancha. I have had some decent bancha and some I could not finish.

Bottom line however that they all share, it is low grade part of leaf or low grade leaf and will lack the intense, deep, rounded goodness of quality sencha.

I will favor more of the roasted or pan fired style since I do not particularly like most green bancha I have had.

Oh, one last thing, I hear bancha is excellent cold brewed for iced tea, But I have not tried it.

Sep 21st, '18, 07:23

Re: Bancha

by ettore » Sep 21st, '18, 07:23

It's grassy and astringent

Enviado desde mi SM-G610M mediante Tapatalk

Sep 21st, '18, 13:00

Re: RE:

by ettore » Sep 21st, '18, 13:00

Yes in fact it is not the same bancha depending the vendor; e.g. organic kukicha from Mitoku: they classified it as "roasted bancha" and I think it is the best drink after meals as a digestion enhancer and also a very energizer and remineralizer drink throughout the entire day.
durak wrote:yes it is roasted. that adds to my confusion about what counts as "bancha". From the vendor's website: "Bancha receives an extra strong firing which creates its special taste. The tea is well liked for its refreshing aromatic and
lightly 'smoky' flavor."
Should probably be "'This' bancha receives..."?
Enviado desde mi SM-G610M mediante Tapatalk

+ Post Reply