Revelation: I've not tried any Pu erh teas as of yet!
Looking for recommendations on something to get me started... but not spoil me into not wanting to try anything else. I need to be able to appreciate the teas in order to review them.
Thanks!
There are a million different teas to try, and 100 million opinions of which of those to start with.
My take:
1) How much do you want to spend ? (Money)
2) How willing are you are to delay gratification (Shipping)
3) How serious are you about tea ? (Quanity)
If it were me, I would try an aged a bit shu, or drop small bundle for real aged tea.
Not all great tea is expensive, tiny portions or best shipped directly from china.
For your first foray into the wilderness, I would go for quality. You will have lots of time for mediocre teas later.
My take:
1) How much do you want to spend ? (Money)
2) How willing are you are to delay gratification (Shipping)
3) How serious are you about tea ? (Quanity)
If it were me, I would try an aged a bit shu, or drop small bundle for real aged tea.
Not all great tea is expensive, tiny portions or best shipped directly from china.
For your first foray into the wilderness, I would go for quality. You will have lots of time for mediocre teas later.
May 29th, '09, 14:43
Posts: 131
Joined: Feb 10th, '09, 12:13
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:
tea-guy
Generally speaking, I'm looking for a small quantity of the tea. Enough to try a number of steepings over the course of several weeks for purposes of writing reviews on the teas.
I'm not looking to spend a bundle of money, but enough to where I can expect reasonable quality.
You mention a lightly aged shu style pu erh. Do you have a specific brand in mind when you make that statement?
I'm not looking to spend a bundle of money, but enough to where I can expect reasonable quality.
You mention a lightly aged shu style pu erh. Do you have a specific brand in mind when you make that statement?
---
Tea-Guy
Tea-Guy
Yunnan Sourcing LLC is a popular vendor on ebay.
Here is a nice tea
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Menghai-0532-P ... 7C294%3A30
2008 Menghai "0532" Premium Ripe Pu-erh tea cake * 25g
Next is 2007 Menghai * Golden Needle & White Lotus * 25g SAMPLE
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Menghai-Golden ... 7C294%3A30
lots of samples - you could pretty much randomly order 5 samples from scott and with shipping would be about $20.00
I think raw sheng is a bit too raw..... but some folks would rather drink a nice quality raw sheng than a aged sheng. Shou is a half way compromise
Here is a nice tea
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Menghai-0532-P ... 7C294%3A30
2008 Menghai "0532" Premium Ripe Pu-erh tea cake * 25g
Next is 2007 Menghai * Golden Needle & White Lotus * 25g SAMPLE
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Menghai-Golden ... 7C294%3A30
lots of samples - you could pretty much randomly order 5 samples from scott and with shipping would be about $20.00
I think raw sheng is a bit too raw..... but some folks would rather drink a nice quality raw sheng than a aged sheng. Shou is a half way compromise
May 30th, '09, 10:36
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta
May 30th, '09, 16:15
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
I do not suggest getting samples. Being new to puerh you should get a few cheap cakes of reputable factories, this way you can "play" with them. Some 25g. samples cost about 1/4 the price of a $10 400g. cake, so they are also a rip off, unless a cake costs $40 or more, there isnt much point in samples unless they are free. I am sure there are many people here who disagree with me but I know there are a few that agree.
May 30th, '09, 23:22
Posts: 131
Joined: Feb 10th, '09, 12:13
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:
tea-guy
you cannot judge a universe by a single star.
Bright or Dim, near or far, there is always another to catch your eye.
people cannot agree on how to say or spell pu'erh, so to choose one tea is purposeless.
Lift foot, step forward.
"First Step to Chinese Puerh Tea" - buy the book and drink your way through it.
Bright or Dim, near or far, there is always another to catch your eye.
people cannot agree on how to say or spell pu'erh, so to choose one tea is purposeless.
Lift foot, step forward.
"First Step to Chinese Puerh Tea" - buy the book and drink your way through it.
Oh common you guys this dud is new. he needs to try all he can as fast as he can.
don't tell him to just start with one type. he needs to get as much as he can of as many types as he can as fast as he can then drink till he sees purple spots and decides that the one that gave him the purple spots----- its the one for him.
its the only way man....... the only way.......
purple the word for the day.
remember it
live it
be it
purple..........................................
don't tell him to just start with one type. he needs to get as much as he can of as many types as he can as fast as he can then drink till he sees purple spots and decides that the one that gave him the purple spots----- its the one for him.
its the only way man....... the only way.......
purple the word for the day.
remember it
live it
be it
purple..........................................

In the charming "Health & Beauty" section on eBay, subcatagory "Weight Loss"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0139282373