Flavored Puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 21st, '09, 23:51

Flavored Puerh?

by Ebtoulson » Jun 21st, '09, 23:51

I've recently tried a couple loose leaf 'flavored' puerhs such as a tangerine wrapped, blood orange and ginger, and a puerh with strawberries. I've found them to be a nice change of pace and very refreshing but my question is should I brew these in a yixing pot due to the fruit and rinds in them? or maybe dedicate a separate pot just for these?
Also, has anyone tried a bamboo roasted puerh?

And yes I know these are most likely low quality pu's but you should give them a try if nothing else to expand you palette :P and who knows you might like them

Jun 22nd, '09, 00:03

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Jun 22nd, '09, 00:03

Eh, I sure wouldn't use my yixing pot to brew any tea that has been flavored. You're probably better off using a porcelain/glass teapot/anything but yixing for such a brew.

Jun 22nd, '09, 09:25

by shogun89 » Jun 22nd, '09, 09:25

use a gaiwan for anything flavored, those fruits or whatever else is there will mess up your yixing.

Jun 22nd, '09, 11:59

by Oni » Jun 22nd, '09, 11:59

Blaspheme. Don`t drink flavoured tea, it is crap.

Jun 22nd, '09, 12:29

by shogun89 » Jun 22nd, '09, 12:29

Oni wrote:Blaspheme. Don`t drink flavoured tea, it is crap.
+1

Jun 22nd, '09, 13:51

by Ebtoulson » Jun 22nd, '09, 13:51

Now have you had it before? Tell me this doesn't sound good
"This tea should be brewed with broken pieces of the orange skin included, it brews a clear soup, rich in flavor, with smell and taste of citrus, highly recommended."
-by flavored it doesn't mean extracts

(I guess some people just don't want to venture from the classics or traditional methods but I go for what I like)

Jun 22nd, '09, 14:15

by shogun89 » Jun 22nd, '09, 14:15

Ebtoulson wrote:
Now have you had it before? Tell me this doesn't sound good
"This tea should be brewed with broken pieces of the orange skin included, it brews a clear soup, rich in flavor, with smell and taste of citrus, highly recommended."
-by flavored it doesn't mean extracts

(I guess some people just don't want to venture from the classics or traditional methods but I go for what I like)
I actually do have one orange wrapped puerh, havnt tried it yet, but will get to it eventually. But yes, it seems that most of us puerh drinkers are the most traditional you will find in the tea world, I can see and understand why some enjoy flavored teas, but as for me I want to enjoy them the way they were created.

Jun 23rd, '09, 21:11

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Jun 23rd, '09, 21:11

I thought about getting one of those little orange-wrapped shus, but I'm just not too keen on 5 year old little bits of fermented orange peel being mixed in with my tea.

Jun 23rd, '09, 21:16

by wyardley » Jun 23rd, '09, 21:16

One of my friends bought a "Pu-earl Grey" (because his wife is an Earl Grey fan). He does not recommend it.

Jun 23rd, '09, 21:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jun 23rd, '09, 21:23

wyardley wrote:One of my friends bought a "Pu-earl Grey" (because his wife is an Earl Grey fan). He does not recommend it.
That reminds me, Lupicia has a "Puerh Cafe", which as you might guess is coffee flavored shu. Pretty nasty.

Numi has a few flavored, RTD puerhs. I haven't seen one yet, but I am certain I would buy every flavor available and have a good laugh. From what a read a few are based on green sheng, and some are based on shu.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/06 ... tea-us.php

Treehugging Tool wrote: But it's the chocolate puerh that has our taste buds raving. The fact that an independent study showed that Numi's puerh contains 32 percent more antioxidants than green tea? Well that's just icing on the tea leaf.
32 percent, people.

Jun 24th, '09, 08:54

by tony shlongini » Jun 24th, '09, 08:54

I don't understand why anyone would want to adulterate one of the great drinks of the world, other than for marketing purposes to gain shelf space.

It is certainly possible to create a wonderful flavored drink (see Grand Marnier) but modt attempts come off no better than mixing cabernet and coke.

Jun 24th, '09, 10:32

by shogun89 » Jun 24th, '09, 10:32

tony shlongini wrote:I don't understand why anyone would want to adulterate one of the great drinks of the world, other than for marketing purposes to gain shelf space.

It is certainly possible to create a wonderful flavored drink (see Grand Marnier) but modt attempts come off no better than mixing cabernet and coke.
yes, agreed. why fix what aint broke?

Jul 1st, '09, 20:03

by iguanahey » Jul 1st, '09, 20:03

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to tea, but I'll admit that I enjoy the "in-orange" pu-erhs now and then. The quality varies greatly, and there are some where the flavors are very nice indeed. I wouldn't put it in my usual pu-erh yixing -- I have a cheap pot I use just for the orange variety.

I also like the pu-erh that's been cooked in bamboo. It adds an interesting woody/honey note of sugar-cane without being actually sweet.

A nice Cantonese shop owner also introduced me to rose pu-erh. Not the unpleasant pre-flavored variety, but rather normal pu-erh poured into a sharing pitcher through a strainer that contains three or four food-grade dried rose buds. It creates a subtle floral scent that complements cheaper or rougher shous. I don't think I'd ever do that with a good aged sheng though!

Jul 1st, '09, 21:36

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jul 1st, '09, 21:36

tony shlongini wrote:I don't understand why anyone would want to adulterate one of the great drinks of the world, other than for marketing purposes to gain shelf space.

...cabernet and coke... :shock:
Makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Guess I am somewhat of a purest when I comes to Pu-erh too. I like the subtle flavors that are present in both young and aged pu-erh.

Steve
Last edited by JAS-eTea Guy on Jul 3rd, '09, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply