Flavored Puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 22nd, '09, 03:51
Posts: 298
Joined: Jan 6th, '09, 02:43
Location: GA

Flavored Puerh?

by Ebtoulson » Jun 22nd, '09, 03:51

I've recently tried a couple loose leaf 'flavored' puerhs such as a tangerine wrapped, blood orange and ginger, and a puerh with strawberries. I've found them to be a nice change of pace and very refreshing but my question is should I brew these in a yixing pot due to the fruit and rinds in them? or maybe dedicate a separate pot just for these?
Also, has anyone tried a bamboo roasted puerh?

And yes I know these are most likely low quality pu's but you should give them a try if nothing else to expand you palette :P and who knows you might like them

Jun 22nd, '09, 04:03

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Jun 22nd, '09, 04:03

Eh, I sure wouldn't use my yixing pot to brew any tea that has been flavored. You're probably better off using a porcelain/glass teapot/anything but yixing for such a brew.

User avatar
Jun 22nd, '09, 13:25
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 15:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Jun 22nd, '09, 13:25

use a gaiwan for anything flavored, those fruits or whatever else is there will mess up your yixing.

User avatar
Jun 22nd, '09, 15:59
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 28th, '08, 20:14

by Oni » Jun 22nd, '09, 15:59

Blaspheme. Don`t drink flavoured tea, it is crap.

User avatar
Jun 22nd, '09, 16:29
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 15:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Jun 22nd, '09, 16:29

Oni wrote:Blaspheme. Don`t drink flavoured tea, it is crap.
+1

Jun 22nd, '09, 17:51
Posts: 298
Joined: Jan 6th, '09, 02:43
Location: GA

by Ebtoulson » Jun 22nd, '09, 17:51

Oni wrote:Blaspheme. Don`t drink flavoured tea, it is crap.
Now have you had it before? Tell me this doesn't sound good
"This tea should be brewed with broken pieces of the orange skin included, it brews a clear soup, rich in flavor, with smell and taste of citrus, highly recommended."
-by flavored it doesn't mean extracts

(I guess some people just don't want to venture from the classics or traditional methods but I go for what I like)

User avatar
Jun 22nd, '09, 18:15
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 15:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Jun 22nd, '09, 18:15

Ebtoulson wrote:
Oni wrote:Blaspheme. Don`t drink flavoured tea, it is crap.
Now have you had it before? Tell me this doesn't sound good
"This tea should be brewed with broken pieces of the orange skin included, it brews a clear soup, rich in flavor, with smell and taste of citrus, highly recommended."
-by flavored it doesn't mean extracts

(I guess some people just don't want to venture from the classics or traditional methods but I go for what I like)
I actually do have one orange wrapped puerh, havnt tried it yet, but will get to it eventually. But yes, it seems that most of us puerh drinkers are the most traditional you will find in the tea world, I can see and understand why some enjoy flavored teas, but as for me I want to enjoy them the way they were created.

Jun 24th, '09, 01:11

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Jun 24th, '09, 01:11

I thought about getting one of those little orange-wrapped shus, but I'm just not too keen on 5 year old little bits of fermented orange peel being mixed in with my tea.

User avatar
Jun 24th, '09, 01:16
Posts: 2044
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 01:47
Location: Los Angeles, CA

by wyardley » Jun 24th, '09, 01:16

One of my friends bought a "Pu-earl Grey" (because his wife is an Earl Grey fan). He does not recommend it.

User avatar
Jun 24th, '09, 01:23
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sep 25th, '07, 23:51
Scrolling: scrolling
Been thanked: 1 time

by brandon » Jun 24th, '09, 01:23

wyardley wrote:One of my friends bought a "Pu-earl Grey" (because his wife is an Earl Grey fan). He does not recommend it.
That reminds me, Lupicia has a "Puerh Cafe", which as you might guess is coffee flavored shu. Pretty nasty.

Numi has a few flavored, RTD puerhs. I haven't seen one yet, but I am certain I would buy every flavor available and have a good laugh. From what a read a few are based on green sheng, and some are based on shu.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/06 ... tea-us.php

Treehugging Tool wrote: But it's the chocolate puerh that has our taste buds raving. The fact that an independent study showed that Numi's puerh contains 32 percent more antioxidants than green tea? Well that's just icing on the tea leaf.
32 percent, people.

User avatar
Jun 24th, '09, 12:54
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 21:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Jun 24th, '09, 12:54

I don't understand why anyone would want to adulterate one of the great drinks of the world, other than for marketing purposes to gain shelf space.

It is certainly possible to create a wonderful flavored drink (see Grand Marnier) but modt attempts come off no better than mixing cabernet and coke.

User avatar
Jun 24th, '09, 14:32
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 15:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Jun 24th, '09, 14:32

tony shlongini wrote:I don't understand why anyone would want to adulterate one of the great drinks of the world, other than for marketing purposes to gain shelf space.

It is certainly possible to create a wonderful flavored drink (see Grand Marnier) but modt attempts come off no better than mixing cabernet and coke.
yes, agreed. why fix what aint broke?

Jul 2nd, '09, 00:03
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 1st, '09, 23:20
Location: Bellingham, WA

by iguanahey » Jul 2nd, '09, 00:03

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to tea, but I'll admit that I enjoy the "in-orange" pu-erhs now and then. The quality varies greatly, and there are some where the flavors are very nice indeed. I wouldn't put it in my usual pu-erh yixing -- I have a cheap pot I use just for the orange variety.

I also like the pu-erh that's been cooked in bamboo. It adds an interesting woody/honey note of sugar-cane without being actually sweet.

A nice Cantonese shop owner also introduced me to rose pu-erh. Not the unpleasant pre-flavored variety, but rather normal pu-erh poured into a sharing pitcher through a strainer that contains three or four food-grade dried rose buds. It creates a subtle floral scent that complements cheaper or rougher shous. I don't think I'd ever do that with a good aged sheng though!

User avatar
Jul 2nd, '09, 01:36
Posts: 155
Joined: Dec 22nd, '08, 00:43
Location: Burke, VA

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jul 2nd, '09, 01:36

tony shlongini wrote:I don't understand why anyone would want to adulterate one of the great drinks of the world, other than for marketing purposes to gain shelf space.

It is certainly possible to create a wonderful flavored drink (see Grand Marnier) but modt attempts come off no better than mixing cabernet and coke.
...cabernet and coke... :shock:
Makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Guess I am somewhat of a purest when I comes to Pu-erh too. I like the subtle flavors that are present in both young and aged pu-erh.

Steve
Last edited by JAS-eTea Guy on Jul 4th, '09, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 2nd, '09, 02:10

by Deleted User #17777 » Jul 2nd, '09, 02:10

Growing up near Boston, Bigelow's "Constant Comment" tea was a staple in our house. I still enjoy it on occasion. It has a bit of orange rind in it. I like earl grey, which has strong fruit flavor (bergamot).

I am not against some flavoring of teas, I think it can compliment the natural flavor, and bring out more tastes.

To use a whine analogy, malbec might be mixed with cabernet to get a better flavor profile than either could provide seperately. Or Johnnie Walker blue label is a blend. I will trade a case of my choice single malt to anyone for a case of this "blended" booze.

Of course, the person who mixed strawberry with pu'erh burns in a special ring of hell fire.

Any artificial flavorings are pretty crappy, and should be avoided, and the predominant flavor should be the tea, and the secondary flavor complimentary.

Those would be what I would recommend.