Nov 17th, '10, 11:11

Source for indoor-use charcoal

by amorphiss » Nov 17th, '10, 11:11

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any sources for purchasing the kind of charcoal I should use in my brazier for heating a tetsubin? I can't really seem to find any information online as to what is a good kind to use indoors (odorless/smokeless? I assume). I've also never tried building a fire indoors in general. Any advice and tips would be hugely appreciated!

The brazier I am using is one of the old ones carved into a stump with a copper liner, and I am using a Kunzan tetsubin. Attached is a photo.
Attachments
teastump_resize.jpg
teastump_resize.jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

Nov 17th, '10, 12:28

Re: Source for indoor-use charcoal

by wyardley » Nov 17th, '10, 12:28

You will probably want binchotan or other hardwood charcoal. You can order Japanese binchotan from Korin in NY if you don't have a local source. Keep in mind that ventilation is very important with using charcoal indoors.

Also, most hardwood charcoal (or the olive pit charcoal used for Chaozhou stoves) is hard to light. You may want to get a bbq chimney to help get things started, or use a small amount of self-lighting charcoal to start the rest of the charcoal.

I don't know if you'll get completely smokeless and odorless, but you should be able to find something that has a mild / pleasing scent and isn't too distracting or smoky.

Nov 17th, '10, 20:39

by amorphiss » Nov 17th, '10, 20:39

Thanks for the response! I'll check out the binchotan from Korin. That looks like a great source. I was thinking they'd be tough to light, so a BBQ chimney would be a great idea (although not that elegant).

Thanks again.

Nov 18th, '10, 01:24

by Oni » Nov 18th, '10, 01:24

I would use turkish hardwood charcoal that is use for narghila, I bought a bag in turkey, those are very high quality and do not smoke like other charcoals.
Where did you buy that awesome brazier?

+ Post Reply