Apr 25th, '07, 02:30

Japanese Teaware

by sygyzy » Apr 25th, '07, 02:30

I see lots of talk of Yixing pots, gaiwans, and gong fu brewing. I have to say it's relatively inexpensive and easy to participate in such ceremonies. With that said, I would like more information about the Japanese tea ceremonies and their teawares. Not much talk or attention is given to it around here. Why is that?

Where is a good source for purchasing quality Japanese teawares such as a matcha whisk, good matcha, etc.

Thank you.

Apr 25th, '07, 09:26

by Mary R » Apr 25th, '07, 09:26

You know, I don't know why we don't talk about Japanese tea et. al. here. I suspect it has to do with the quality of tea Japan exports. (And perhaps the handiness and results of gongfu style brewing.) For the money, China and Taiwan provide better teas for us North Americans and Europeans, so they and their tea/teaware/traditions tend to get our attention. Of course, the Japanese also have a ton of significance surrounding their tea ceremonies (yes, plural) that we would never be able to understand or approximate without some level of cultural submersion, and how many of us can afford that sort of time?

For strictly Japanese tea, O-Cha seems to be a quality vendor. They also sell some nice matcha supplies. You can either buy a premade kit if you want all the bells and whistles, or you can opt to purchase separate pieces.

If you'd like to learn more about the ceremonies and such, there's a book called "The Book of Tea" by Kakuzo Okakura. It was originally published in 1906, and Dover took over the copyrights in 1964 and continues to republish it. When it comes to research, I'm not one to immediately jump to 100 year old information, but there is something to be said for longevity. You can get a paperback through the Mega-Vendor-Named-For-A-South-American-River for about $4.

EDIT: Turns out that book is so seminal that Project Gutenberg has free e-text avaliable.

Apr 25th, '07, 12:44

by Space Samurai » Apr 25th, '07, 12:44

I am relatively new to tea forums, but I agree with Mary that O-cha has a great forum dedicated to Japanese tea, tea wares, and culture. I have not purchased any of their stuff, however.

I am a huge fan of Tokoname pots and have purchase all of mine from www.-rishi-tea.com. Their pots lack the wasbi-sabi-ness of other Japanese pots, but I find them to be excellent. They also have a growing selection of Japanese teas and a travelogue from Kagoshima thats pretty cool.

Apr 25th, '07, 15:15

by rhpot1991 » Apr 25th, '07, 15:15

If your interested in matcha accessories there was some discussion in this thread a few days ago:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=2477

I have a set on its way, owner of a local teashop ended up ordering it for me, shipping from Japan apparently. I was about ready to order a set from o-cha but this guy takes good care of me so I let him order me a set instead.

-John

Apr 26th, '07, 13:09

by sygyzy » Apr 26th, '07, 13:09

Thanks for your help everyone. I placed an order with Rishi (Thanks Space Samurai) and am looking at O-Cha and some other vendors. It's strange, with Match accessories, it's difficult to tell quality. One site may have very nice ($$$) bowls but a cheap looking whisk. And the opposite on a different site. I will probably have to end up mixing and matching.

Apr 26th, '07, 14:02

by tomasini » Apr 26th, '07, 14:02

yay for Rishi!! I know...Adagio boards...but i love Rishi :lol: ehehe

Apr 26th, '07, 21:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 26th, '07, 21:34

..ummm, one more vote for O-Cha.com.

At least that is what some "serious tea heads" told me. :wink:

Apr 30th, '07, 21:12

by sygyzy » Apr 30th, '07, 21:12

Hi,

I received two of my Tokoname pots today (well one is a water cooler). Do they need to be prepped or seasoned?

Apr 30th, '07, 21:43

by Chip » Apr 30th, '07, 21:43

...just rinse out very well...and brew. Mine has developed a nice tea patina over time...like a badge of honor. I only brew Japanese tea in it.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 30th, '07, 22:38

by Space Samurai » Apr 30th, '07, 22:38

sygyzy wrote:Hi,

I received two of my Tokoname pots today (well one is a water cooler). Do they need to be prepped or seasoned?
Which ones did you get?

May 1st, '07, 03:23

by sygyzy » May 1st, '07, 03:23

From O-Cha, I got:

Green Water Cooler

and

Teapot Green II

I got two more from Rishi!

May 4th, '07, 18:47

by Proinsias » May 4th, '07, 18:47

I couldn't resist buying this from ebay for £7/$14ish including postage. I know nothing about tetsubins and was wondering if it is possible that I may not have actually wasted my money. There are a few pics, none of which show the interior, and I expect to find a little or a lot of rust inside - I'm assuming if it's even remotely antique it won't have an interior glaze.

Is there anything I can do if it's rusty aside from passing it on to the next unsuspecting ebayer?

More to the point, I'm far to impatient to wait a week or so to find out if I've got a bargin or a turkey. Can anyone shed a little light on my slightly drunken purchase?

As far as use is concerned, if it is useable, I will be using it soley for hot water/perhaps stovetop heating not for brewing tea.

*crosses fingers*

May 4th, '07, 20:28

by Space Samurai » May 4th, '07, 20:28

Everything I've read/heard about tetsubin says that you're not supposed to put them on the stove. That is all I know about tetsubin.

May 4th, '07, 20:40

by Mary R » May 4th, '07, 20:40

Here's a decent site for cleaning rust from cast iron:
http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html
Basically, you have one of two options for heavy rust: some sort of acid treatment and elbow grease or sandblasting. Either way, you'll get to use fun things!

Space is right about not using a tetsubin on the stove...but only if it has a ceramic/glaze lining. (The lining would crack.) If it does not have a lining, heat away. That was the original purpose of the pot, after all. Either way, after you finish using the pot, rinse it with water and wipe it dry inside and out. Store it with its lid off for at least 12 hrs or until its interior is so dry it makes the Sahara look like the Pacific.

May 5th, '07, 00:21

by scruffmcgruff » May 5th, '07, 00:21

You know... I just had a thought about this whole enamel tetsubin thing. I haven't tried putting one on a stove, but would it really crack?

I know they put enamel on cast-iron cookware, so I have to wonder why cookware enamel doesn't crack but the enamel in a tetsubin would. I'm guessing it's the material and quality of the enamel, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

+ Post Reply