Pot for Aging

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 21st, '09, 22:05

by Tead Off » May 21st, '09, 22:05

TIM wrote:From my on going experiment of aging tea in large earthen jars. I will test them by storing water for a couple of days and see the difference. If the container can improve the quality of water, then will proceed with aging tea. But if it gives the water a funny taste or smell then plant something in it.
Tim, what kind of pots work best for you and what kind of clay is used to make them? Lifeoftea mentioned to me that the Purion pots were known for their excellent tea storage qualities.

May 21st, '09, 22:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » May 21st, '09, 22:40

tony shlongini wrote:My kid refers to them as "daddy's pots made from magic dirt."

She has the good sense to know that there is nothing magical in them, nor in anything else.
Magic dirt or not my wife has explained that some father-daughter magic may disappear if daddy's pots are compromised. The same chat did not work with the cats.

I'd been going with the idea that there was something magical in everything recently, does as much good as preaching the opposite in my experience - I only have one and she is only five so this may well change.

May 22nd, '09, 09:26

by hop_goblin » May 22nd, '09, 09:26

TIM wrote:a funny taste or smell then plant something in it.
:lol:

May 22nd, '09, 10:36
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 22nd, '09, 10:36

Tead Off wrote:
TIM wrote:From my on going experiment of aging tea in large earthen jars. I will test them by storing water for a couple of days and see the difference. If the container can improve the quality of water, then will proceed with aging tea. But if it gives the water a funny taste or smell then plant something in it.
Tim, what kind of pots work best for you and what kind of clay is used to make them? Lifeoftea mentioned to me that the Purion pots were known for their excellent tea storage qualities.
Tead off- to me, it make sense to choose earthen jars which are made for ferment/store food or drinks. There are a lot of traditional pottery which made to do just that in most culture, eg. Greek, Italian, Chinese and Korean just to name a few. Modern pottery sometimes lack the knowledge of tradition and techniques to produce clay that improve the quality of food.

As far as storing tea, for non-glazed interior, nothing works better then yixing. For glazed one, Chinese and Korean pots made for pickling food are my choice so far.

But for Water container, it is a whole different theory.

+ Post Reply