Pot for Aging

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 20th, '09, 16:32

Pot for Aging

by Ebtoulson » May 20th, '09, 16:32

I think I'm going to try to age some of my unfavorable pu'erh to see if the tastes change over time. I've looked around on the forum and some people mention storing the tea in clay pots/jars (unglazed and porous). Does anyone have any recommendation to where I could find a pot like this or even just a picture of theirs (so I might be able to talk some of the potters into making one for me :D).

So far I've got a thermometer, hygrometer, and a humidifier (which is made for medium cigar humidors). Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Eric

May 20th, '09, 17:10

by tony shlongini » May 20th, '09, 17:10

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Chinese-Tea ... ec0Q2em322

But wouldn't you rather store your favorable pu'er to see how it changes?

May 20th, '09, 20:33

by Ebtoulson » May 20th, '09, 20:33

haha I was just worried that it would changed for the worst...but I guess I don't have to put the whole amount in there

Thanks for the link

May 20th, '09, 20:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » May 20th, '09, 20:44

I've got some pu that feels like you've been slapped in the face everytime you take a sip.

I break them up and stick them in stuff bought from charity shops. There are usually plenty glazed, unglazed, wooden, wicker, straw and numerous other containers available for next to nothing.

May 20th, '09, 21:37

by Drax » May 20th, '09, 21:37

I was going to say, in most of the stories I've read, people usually break up and stick pu'erh in pots in order to "air them out" and prepare them for drinking.

I'd be curious how much aging is done in pots...

But I was also looking at the Chinese Tea Pot gallery to get some storage stuff for in the pumidor... the pots look nice, but I haven't been able to find any other really good sources (Pure Puerh had some nice pots, too, but more expensive).
Last edited by Drax on May 21st, '09, 05:57, edited 2 times in total.

May 20th, '09, 21:52

by Proinsias » May 20th, '09, 21:52

I recall Geraldo, maybe on pu-erh.net, talking about breaking up some of his pu'erh as a sort of speed aging thingy - more than just airing out. I think the gist was that one cake or whatever broken up would give an indication in a shorter timescale as to what was going to happen to the rest of the batch in similar conditions.

I miss Geraldo's online musings, does anyone know if he is active aside from the occasional burst on ChaDao? His thoughts on pu'erh were really something to look forward to, bookmarked for when I had time to spend on them.

May 20th, '09, 22:36

by coloradopu » May 20th, '09, 22:36

i have heard that a good sub is to get some terracotta plant pots of the thick and pro type. from the hardware store. i have checked out the selection at a near by store and a good size thick pot with a tray for the bottom and a bigger tray for the top that could fit 2 tongs could be had for under 45$ smaller is very much cheaper.
its done by alot of people in china i hear. and from what i gather it provides a much more stable RH and air circ due to the porosity of the clay. as fare as ageing it would be a cheep and easy test to see if you have the time.

May 21st, '09, 00:22

by Ebtoulson » May 21st, '09, 00:22

I was wondering if a terracotta pot would work, might have to give it a try even though I just bough one of the pots. But 4 3/4" by 6" doesn't seem that big so I might next extra space.

I wonder if the purple clay adds anything over the terracotta clay.
Last edited by Ebtoulson on May 21st, '09, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

May 21st, '09, 05:58

by Drax » May 21st, '09, 05:58

Ebtoulson wrote:I wonder if the purple clay adds anything over the terracotta clay.
I am 100% positive that the vendors will tell you there's a difference.

:D

May 21st, '09, 10:57

by coloradopu » May 21st, '09, 10:57

lets see how do i put this--

it has an advantage over terracotta in one way i know and it depends on your frame of mind.

how do i explain in an American way-- well the purple clay has the advantage of location location location. you see i have found a purple clay here in the US and it has the same properties as the China one so i guess the terracotta is a close match too. but they are not exactly the same. if i told someone that the pot had purple clay in it then visions of China come up and if i tell someone it is terracotta then visions of Spain might come up and i bet if i told someone it had stuff in it like Georgia pine then visions of the great state of Georgia would remain. so you see its all pottery but were do you want to be reminded of. It can all boil down to the Qi " too to use a Chinese word" or energy/power which is in the pots. all of them are made of earth then subjected to some sort of fire.

so i guess a good question to pose now is " were of earth do you want your pots born of and what do they do to remind you of your time there?"

and yes all the pots i make glazed and unglazed are the best type to use to store tea in here in Colorado. :lol: i even just made some for water too but waved the magic pottery wand and now a few are for tea. :roll: and get this they are of stoneware :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

all jokes aside i feel it is all up to you which type of pots to use but it is best i think to use a pot " be it big small etc" that will give its energy to the tea and in turn ultimately to you. you see everything has a part in what you do so if you take advantage of the things close then the energy you get from them will be of a type you can appreciate and relate to and then pass on to the next......./

May 21st, '09, 11:29

by Ebtoulson » May 21st, '09, 11:29

o ok so its kind a reminiscence thing not physical aspects.
i even just made some for water too but waved the magic pottery wand and now a few are for tea. Rolling Eyes and get this they are of stoneware
Aw didn't noticed the pots you had, would have gotten one from you instead of ordering off of ebay. Btw loving the gaiwans. Sent you a PM.

May 21st, '09, 11:43
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 21st, '09, 11:43

From my on going experiment of aging tea in large earthen jars. I will test them by storing water for a couple of days and see the difference. If the container can improve the quality of water, then will proceed with aging tea. But if it gives the water a funny taste or smell then plant something in it.

May 21st, '09, 12:34

by coloradopu » May 21st, '09, 12:34

eric thanks pm back at you

tim good point i guess one could plug the bottom of the pots with cork and do that.

i must try this on some store bought stuff. i suspect some terracotta has a bit of salts still in them from the low fire temp. this i think might be good for tea but not water.

non of my stuff has come in contact with anything but tea and water after 2280 deg F in the kiln. all i taste is tea or water. i have noticed on some of the stoneware, i have not glazed, a sort of rust/tea/stain i think its the high iron in the clay. i bet it might effect the taste in some cases positively after a month in storage for water. but have not had them that long. i like a little iron in the water though.

May 21st, '09, 20:24

by tony shlongini » May 21st, '09, 20:24

My kid refers to them as "daddy's pots made from magic dirt."

She has the good sense to know that there is nothing magical in them, nor in anything else.

May 21st, '09, 20:59

by tony shlongini » May 21st, '09, 20:59

My kid refers to them as "daddy's pots made from magic dirt."

She has the good sense to know that there is nothing magical in them, nor in anything else.

+ Post Reply