2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby gingkoseto » Sep 11th, '12, 11:40

Gold Dayi's price could have been much higher now if Dayi hadn't been bring out more and more fancy upscale products each year, like Jade, 1911, zodiac cakes... Dayi obviously cares more about the short term profits of selling various expensive products each year rather than maintaining high market value of their products, but I guess that's normal for a company of their size and their market popularity.
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby Catfur » Sep 11th, '12, 21:48

gingkoseto wrote:Gold Dayi's price could have been much higher now if Dayi hadn't been bring out more and more fancy upscale products each year, like Jade, 1911, zodiac cakes... Dayi obviously cares more about the short term profits of selling various expensive products each year rather than maintaining high market value of their products, but I guess that's normal for a company of their size and their market popularity.


As far as I know, Dayi makes and sells new cakes, not engages in a secondary market of storage and speculation.
User avatar
Catfur
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Jun 19th, '
Location: Carlsbad, NM

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby shah82 » Sep 12th, '12, 00:55

Dayi maintains close relationships with their distributors.
shah82
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby MarshalN » Sep 12th, '12, 04:01

First line distributors have a "minimum purchase" requirement. You HAVE to buy a certain amount from Dayi every year, or someone will take your place. How you manage to do after that is your problem, so a lot of these big distributors end up being the "storing and selling slowly" kind.
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2105
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby cloudstea » Dec 30th, '12, 12:39

apache wrote:Recently, most of the new Dayi teas' prices seem to following the same pattern, they are expensive when they first come out, then the price drop below the initial offering (like Facebook!).

2011 Gold Dayi been around 200 RMB for some time and most of the price increases was in the last few months after Cloud gave it a stamp of approval. The man says 'Yay' and the rest of the world (well, in this case China) follow.


Image

Well... the 2011 Golden Dayi is really a good tea. I just let the others know that it is a good tea for long-term aging (Internet Article in Chinese).

Whether people will buy it or not, it is up to their own decisions.


Cloud (HK)
User avatar
cloudstea
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 6th, '0
Location: Hong Kong

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby apache » Dec 30th, '12, 18:41

cloudstea wrote:
apache wrote:Recently, most of the new Dayi teas' prices seem to following the same pattern, they are expensive when they first come out, then the price drop below the initial offering (like Facebook!).

2011 Gold Dayi been around 200 RMB for some time and most of the price increases was in the last few months after Cloud gave it a stamp of approval. The man says 'Yay' and the rest of the world (well, in this case China) follow.


Image

Well... the 2011 Golden Dayi is really a good tea. I just let the others know that it is a good tea for long-term aging (Internet Article in Chinese).

Whether people will buy it or not, it is up to their own decisions.


Cloud (HK)


Long time no hear! Nice to have you here on TeaChat.

I was trying to make my post more interesting to read at the time and in no way I was trying to mock. My later posts did state that I have more than one tong of Gold Dayi. Anyhow, I think even without your comments about it, tea drinkers would still chase it as it is very good indeed.

I just have had a small session with it today and it doesn't disappoint me.
The price at moment is just below ¥400 per cake or ¥16500 per box.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby TwoDog2 » Dec 31st, '12, 11:21

apache wrote:I was trying to make my post more interesting to read at the time and in no way I was trying to mock. My later posts did state that I have more than one tong of Gold Dayi. Anyhow, I think even without your comments about it, tea drinkers would still chase it as it is very good indeed.

I just have had a small session with it today and it doesn't disappoint me.
The price at moment is just below ¥400 per cake or ¥16500 per box.


Where do you both (Cloud/Apache) think the value/quality ratio peaks? Did it peak already, in your opinions?
User avatar
TwoDog2
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby ChengduCha » Dec 31st, '12, 11:27

I wish I'd be able to get a 100% return on investments after a year. :mrgreen:

I suppose something good from Dayi carries too much of a premium though compared to something good from small, relatively unknown brands.
ChengduCha
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Jun 2nd, '1

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby shah82 » Dec 31st, '12, 14:24

I'm not sure peak value matters.

Anything genuinely good tend to be illiquid. Large factory cakes tend to have decent quantities available. People then tend to have access to the tea and know what they are buying. Part of the value of a ChenShenHao simply comes from being known and knowing that other people know about it. Therefore they increase in prices and sales as they grab attention, and decrease in prices and sale when the next pretty thing comes along.

Non-big factory cakes, on the other hand, can be pretty hard to get your mitts on, even when you have money because few people tend to want to sell the good teas. Few people even know what they are, or how to evaluate them if they should get a chance to drink them. So only a few cakes gets dribbled onto the market, and they sell for roughly the same prices as comparable cakes of inferior quality. One crucial reason why pre 2004 cakes are a focus for many collectors is that the big factories had much more access to good materials, and there were many more cakes of good tea that has been widely sampled and critiqued in the tea community. As such, for these teas, there will always be a market, albeit with peaks and valleys--and secular upswings in the event of strong growth in new puerh drinkers. For teas like the 2011 Jin Dayi, those exist as part of a widely fragmented broad market. There are many teas like Jin Dayi, and some of them are better. They might not be well known, but still hoarded. However, in the continual process of new teas to be excited about every year, there is a slice-shave off of the charismatic appeal of the 101 Jin Dayi. It would be stupid for the average person to try and make cash hay off of Jin Dayi. The alpha has already been captured by insiders. You'd be better off collecting Yibang Chamasi and their funky bing wrappers in hopes that that sort of thing becomes trendy or something. So it's mostly just a good idea to buy it because you'll want to drink some of it--and not to get all frustrated if it's too expensive--there are many, many alternatives out there when something costs $60.
shah82
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby ChengduCha » Dec 31st, '12, 16:44

shah82 wrote:Anything genuinely good tend to be illiquid.


I'm not sure about the quantity of this production, but I suppose Dayi always produces enough beengs of each cake to leave the market liquid enough for the local speculators that make a steady stream of cakes available to the market for the coming 2-3 years after the release for liquidity reasons. It might also correlate with all the Dayi stores in China slowly selling out on 2011 stock / fixed price increases to capture additional profits unrelated to scarcity. I estimate that about 1/10th of all tea stores that mainly carry pu erh in major cities of China are Dayi franchises.

Genuinely good always depends on the drinker and personal tastes I suppose.

Therefore they increase in prices and sales as they grab attention, and decrease in prices and sale when the next pretty thing comes along.


I suppose that's where the insiders come in to push yearly reviews in tea magazines and such to renew the demand and make price increases plausible.

It would be stupid for the average person to try and make cash hay off of Jin Dayi.


Given that there is a Dayi price index - stock style, this seems to be the case in China. Trying to shift larger quantities should be really hard though, but then again there is a huge investment grey market in China. Even though the pu bubble has already burst once, there are still lots of people that consider it to be an investment vehicle.

The alpha has already been captured by insiders.


As with everything investment related in China. :D
ChengduCha
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Jun 2nd, '1

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby Teaism » Jan 31st, '13, 01:21

auhckw quote: [quote="auhckw"]Saw these photos in a china forum... look at the colour of the brew 1 -> 6... consistent and darker than usual young raw...



auhckw, there are many different types of tea leaves blended in. From the photos, you can see the leaves are also fremented, that explains the colour of the brew.

Interesting bullion. :?
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby Exempt » Jan 31st, '13, 02:45

Teaism wrote:auhckw quote:
auhckw wrote:Saw these photos in a china forum... look at the colour of the brew 1 -> 6... consistent and darker than usual young raw...



auhckw, there are many different types of tea leaves blended in. From the photos, you can see the leaves are also fremented, that explains the colour of the brew.

Interesting bullion. :?

I think it was actually stated that the white balance was skewing red. That set of pictures did not correctly represent the color of the tea or the brews.
Exempt
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Dec 9th, '1
Location: Seattle

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby Teaism » Jan 31st, '13, 03:05

Exempt wrote:
Teaism wrote:auhckw quote:
auhckw wrote:Saw these photos in a china forum... look at the colour of the brew 1 -> 6... consistent and darker than usual young raw...



auhckw, there are many different types of tea leaves blended in. From the photos, you can see the leaves are also fremented, that explains the colour of the brew.

Interesting bullion. :?

I think it was actually stated that the white balance was skewing red. That set of pictures did not correctly represent the color of the tea or the brews.

Hi exempt,

Thanks for highlighting the colour. :D

With white balance adjustment, a lighter colour will show the correct age/brew colour. Sorry I probably miss out some post and didn't follow through the whole tread.

The blending and the frementation of the tea is quite obvious, even with or without any white balance adjustment, don't you think?

Have a good day, my friend.

Cheers!
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby Exempt » Jan 31st, '13, 03:26

Teaism wrote:
Exempt wrote:
Teaism wrote:auhckw quote:
auhckw wrote:Saw these photos in a china forum... look at the colour of the brew 1 -> 6... consistent and darker than usual young raw...



auhckw, there are many different types of tea leaves blended in. From the photos, you can see the leaves are also fremented, that explains the colour of the brew.

Interesting bullion. :?

I think it was actually stated that the white balance was skewing red. That set of pictures did not correctly represent the color of the tea or the brews.

Hi exempt,

Thanks for highlighting the colour. :D

With white balance adjustment, a lighter colour will show the correct age/brew colour. Sorry I probably miss out some post and didn't follow through the whole tread.

The blending and the frementation of the tea is quite obvious, even with or without any white balance adjustment, don't you think?

Have a good day, my friend.

Cheers!

From that picture it does look fairly fermented, however if you look at some other pictures it looks a lot fresher. I've attached the picture from DTH
Attachments
jindayi2011.jpg
jindayi2011.jpg (250.81 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Exempt
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Dec 9th, '1
Location: Seattle

Re: 2011 Gold Dayi Raw Puerh vs. Gold

Postby Teaism » Jan 31st, '13, 03:38

From that picture it does look fairly fermented, however if you look at some other pictures it looks a lot fresher. I've attached the picture from DTH


Yes this is definitely a better picture. Thank you so much for sharing.

Cheers!
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation