Aging Puerh.


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby TwoDog2 » Oct 26th, '12, 02:21

135F2 wrote:
apache wrote:There were high security around tea storage room and any unauthorised person came anywhere near would be cut up into pieces and NO question would be asked later.


Now that is the proper way to store your tea.



I am shocked and appalled at how little discussion American national tea security is getting in the US presidential debates. I don't think the US government has a single armed tea platoon. Disgraceful.
User avatar
TwoDog2
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby sung8891 » Oct 26th, '12, 21:07

I store my tea in urns like this.
sung8891
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 30th, '
Location: Malaysia

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby sung8891 » Oct 26th, '12, 23:26

Sorry,I'm having problems loading photos . My fault entirely I'm sure :D .Not very good with the computers. he urns are ceramic and some were used as water containers or the larger for batjs and some for fermenting salted eggs. I put my teas in them and put a cover over it .
sung8891
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 30th, '
Location: Malaysia

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby theredbaron » Oct 26th, '12, 23:54

sung8891 wrote:Sorry,I'm having problems loading photos . My fault entirely I'm sure :D .Not very good with the computers. he urns are ceramic and some were used as water containers or the larger for batjs and some for fermenting salted eggs. I put my teas in them and put a cover over it .



I hope that you have properly cleaned the containers which were used to ferment eggs. I have several old jars which were used here to ferment fish. They are very nice rough village pottery, but useless for anything than using them as waste water buckets as the smell of fermentation will just not go away.
theredbaron
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby gingkoseto » Oct 27th, '12, 00:45

theredbaron wrote:
sung8891 wrote:Sorry,I'm having problems loading photos . My fault entirely I'm sure :D .Not very good with the computers. he urns are ceramic and some were used as water containers or the larger for batjs and some for fermenting salted eggs. I put my teas in them and put a cover over it .



I hope that you have properly cleaned the containers which were used to ferment eggs. I have several old jars which were used here to ferment fish. They are very nice rough village pottery, but useless for anything than using them as waste water buckets as the smell of fermentation will just not go away.

I guess he bought new ones and probably sung is in Asia? I remember awuhc once showed some big porcelain ones, fairly nice and inexpensive.
I would like some for tea and for salt eggs and pickles. But too much work and/or money transporting them... I have several ceramic ones from Taiwan that are nice but shipping cost a lot more than the jars so I won't buy any more soon.
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby sung8891 » Oct 27th, '12, 06:27

These ones are quite good really and mine are old so they haven't been recently used to ferment eggs. I'm living in Malaysia so the weather is pretty conducive to aging tea. I've quite a bit of tea in a huge urn in my lounge and those teas have been aging for abbout 20 yrs and don't seem to have any off smells about them.
sung8891
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 30th, '
Location: Malaysia

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby theredbaron » Oct 27th, '12, 10:11

sung8891 wrote:These ones are quite good really and mine are old so they haven't been recently used to ferment eggs. I'm living in Malaysia so the weather is pretty conducive to aging tea. I've quite a bit of tea in a huge urn in my lounge and those teas have been aging for abbout 20 yrs and don't seem to have any off smells about them.


Nice!
The really big old ones are here getting a bit costly here in Thailand now. I have a couple of smaller ones, which i recently got from a villager. I am now trying to get rid of the rotten fish smell. So far not too much success...
theredbaron
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby sung8891 » Oct 27th, '12, 11:36

Try soaking in vinegar for a couple'a days and then putting the urn out to sun.
sung8891
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 30th, '
Location: Malaysia

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby edkrueger » Oct 27th, '12, 11:47

I thought you were talking about the pu-erh for a second. :D
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby theredbaron » Oct 27th, '12, 13:22

sung8891 wrote:Try soaking in vinegar for a couple'a days and then putting the urn out to sun.


Thanks, will try.
theredbaron
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Aug 1st, '1
Location: Bangkok

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby sung8891 » Oct 28th, '12, 03:25

edkrueger wrote:I thought you were talking about the pu-erh for a second. :D

Scary thought! :shock:
sung8891
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 30th, '
Location: Malaysia

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby jyfetterolf » Feb 19th, '13, 10:40

Besides the complicated question of proper storage in particular locations, how does everyone organize the individual cakes in their various storage set-ups? I have read several entries (including the one of cha-dao series on aging that was posted earlier) that warn against storing sheng with shu which makes sense. Additionally, these same posts recommend separating young sheng from aged sheng, and while that too makes sense, I'm curious about where do we draw the line? With sheng, do we only store the same year with the same year (let alone different factories)? I currently have some 2010 cakes stored with several 2005 cakes. Is that too great a difference in age? Tim's distinct between the major maturation periods would place my 2005 cakes just past the first maturation, while the 2010 cakes still haven't gotten to that first step.

And if we did decide to separate them. What do we consider separation? Inches? Feet? Shelves? Boxes? Rooms?
jyfetterolf
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Apr 29th, '

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby Catfur » Feb 19th, '13, 10:45

theredbaron wrote:
sung8891 wrote:These ones are quite good really and mine are old so they haven't been recently used to ferment eggs. I'm living in Malaysia so the weather is pretty conducive to aging tea. I've quite a bit of tea in a huge urn in my lounge and those teas have been aging for abbout 20 yrs and don't seem to have any off smells about them.


Nice!
The really big old ones are here getting a bit costly here in Thailand now. I have a couple of smaller ones, which i recently got from a villager. I am now trying to get rid of the rotten fish smell. So far not too much success...

Don't they use those big urns for making fish sauce in Thailand?
User avatar
Catfur
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Jun 19th, '
Location: Carlsbad, NM

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby tst » Feb 19th, '13, 15:49

jyfetterolf wrote:Besides the complicated question of proper storage in particular locations, how does everyone organize the individual cakes in their various storage set-ups? I have read several entries (including the one of cha-dao series on aging that was posted earlier) that warn against storing sheng with shu which makes sense. Additionally, these same posts recommend separating young sheng from aged sheng, and while that too makes sense, I'm curious about where do we draw the line? With sheng, do we only store the same year with the same year (let alone different factories)? I currently have some 2010 cakes stored with several 2005 cakes. Is that too great a difference in age? Tim's distinct between the major maturation periods would place my 2005 cakes just past the first maturation, while the 2010 cakes still haven't gotten to that first step.

And if we did decide to separate them. What do we consider separation? Inches? Feet? Shelves? Boxes? Rooms?


Good question. In my mind, it would seem important to separate according to previous storage conditions as well as age (I would think 5-10 year "categories" would be appropriate). It wouldn't make sense to me to store wet-stored or traditional-stored cakes immediately next to dry-stored cakes. Maybe no one really knows though, considering most personal, home storage is still a fairly new concept. I could be wrong though.
User avatar
tst
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sep 19th, '
Location: Northern California

Re: Aging Puerh.

Postby BioHorn » Feb 19th, '13, 16:44

1. I have sheng cakes of all ages stored together. For the older cakes, it does not matter so much. They are not going to last very long in there :!:

2. A local employee of our art museum came by yesterday for tea. She is from Hong Kong. Upon smelling it she blurted out, "that's it, that the smell from my aunt's tea warehouse in HK!"

Hopefully that means the aging is going well!

3. I like having all cakes in there. When time, it makes them easier to pick apart for drinking.
User avatar
BioHorn
 
Posts: 554
Joined: May 2nd, '1
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation