... Pu Erh!


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

... Pu Erh!

Postby trent » Apr 22nd, '08, 21:19

When you see or hear the word Pu Erh, what tea site/store/merchant comes to mind?
:D

(just like the "...Oolong!" thread, but for pu erh)
Last edited by trent on Apr 22nd, '08, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
trent
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mar 6th, '0
Location: immersed in tea

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Apr 22nd, '08, 21:24

Haha I love it!

I would deff say right off the bat Pu erh Shop and Hou De.

There is also Yunnan Sourcing on ebay which has a pretty impressive lists of pu's for sale.
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Postby Wesli » Apr 22nd, '08, 22:13

Puerhshop
User avatar
Wesli
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 8th, '0
Location: 3161 A.D.

Postby Trioxin » Apr 22nd, '08, 22:57

puershop.com

Ebay:

Yunnan sourcing
Awazon
Dragon Tea House

I like to shop around
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby Dizzwave » Apr 22nd, '08, 23:38

I've had great luck with
Yunnan Sourcing
Jing Teashop
Teaspring
(in that order)
and I'm having lots of fun with the new sample packs available from Puerhshop!

Tuochatea.com (/yunnanspecial.com) also looks great -- they're on my list to try.
-dave
User avatar
Dizzwave
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th, '
Location: Portland, OR

Postby tenuki » Apr 23rd, '08, 00:12

I'm starting to refuse to buy puerh online, there is simply too much subpar stuff out there and sorting through it all via samples gets expensive and annoying. Who want's to paw through 30 samples just to find one cake?

I have a couple of shops I visit in person. You can sit down with the owner, sample the tea competition style so they can't manipulate it, look them right in the eye when you tell them what you are looking for - and all the crap just disappears and they bring out the good stuff. :) Unfortunately the good stuff is usually (but suprisingly not always) expensive. But if you add on the cost of all the samples it's actually cheaper to do it my way if you can.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Apr 23rd, '08, 00:21

Again... I wish I had some dedicated tea shops in my area that knew what they were talking about... I wish there were tea shops in my area in general... :cry:
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Postby Wesli » Apr 23rd, '08, 01:02

tenuki wrote: Who want's to paw through 30 samples just to find one cake?

Oooh. Me! me! please pick me!
User avatar
Wesli
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 8th, '0
Location: 3161 A.D.

Postby Salsero » Apr 23rd, '08, 01:10

Wesli wrote:Oooh. Me! me! please pick me!
Damn, Wesli, I wish I could cut to the chase the way you do! I am so jealous.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Trioxin » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:00

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Again... I wish I had some dedicated tea shops in my area that knew what they were talking about... I wish there were tea shops in my area in general... :cry:

Same here. The one tea shop in my area boasts "Momma Mia Darjeeling" as their top of the line. That was their suggestion anyways to replace the Castleton SFTGFOP I"d run out of. I've got a 300 mile trek to Chicago to maybe find anything worth while.
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby tenuki » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:25

Trioxin wrote:I've got a 300 mile trek to Chicago to maybe find anything worth while.


OK....

Chicago Scenario:
----------------------
$200 - 600 miles round trip
$140 - overnight stay in downtown hotel (priceline)
$60 - stop off at Berghoff's
$0 - (doh! make that 17/West Berghoff, well crap this sucks <cry>) ;)
-------
400.00 trip overhead

Net result - 3 good cakes, 2 mao chas, some other cool tea ( all of which you sampled before you bought so you are certain you like them ) and a fun trip to Chicago!


Online Scenario:
--------------------
400/5 = 80 samples (average sample price counting in places like Hou De and some good stuff)

Net result - 3 good cakes, 1 mao cha, months and months of drinking bad to horrible pu in the loneliness of your dark basement apartment with no-one to love you except some rotting tea leaves which you periodically mail to others in anger, sort of like letter bombs.


Just say no to online. (written of course, um, online. hahahah)
Last edited by tenuki on Apr 23rd, '08, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Trioxin » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:38

tenuki wrote:
Trioxin wrote:I've got a 300 mile trek to Chicago to maybe find anything worth while.


OK....

Chicago Scenario:
----------------------
$200 - 600 miles round trip
$140 - overnight stay in downtown hotel (priceline)
$60 - stop off at Berghoff's
$0 - (doh! make that 17/West Berghoff, well crap this sucks <cry>) ;)
-------
400.00 trip overhead

Net result - 3 good cakes, 2 mao chas, some other cool tea ( all of which you sampled before you bought so you are certain you like them ) and a fun trip to Chicago!


Online Scenario:
--------------------
400/5 = 80 samples (average sample price counting in places like Hou De and some good stuff)

Net result - 3 good cakes, 1 mao cha, months and months of drinking bad to horrible pu in the loneliness of your dark basement apartment with no-one to love you except some rotting tea leaves.


Just say no to online. (written of course, um, online. hahahah)


$400 plus cakes is a lot of money to a waiter in a city stationed in the middle of a corn field surrounded by nascar fans that think martinis are supposed to come in flavors. Damn I shoulda got me an education. Gotta take what I can get and love it. Cheap, young, bad cakes.
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby tenuki » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:40

Trioxin wrote: Gotta take what I can get and love it. Cheap, young, bad cakes.


I'll drink to that! You know I was kidding right. :) I love giving pu heads a hard time, it's tradition!
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Trioxin » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:43

Don't worry, yo. I'm 32 and sitting around watching the muppet show in my underwear. It's going to be tough to offend somebody who's willing to admit that.
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby Salsero » Apr 23rd, '08, 09:02

Trioxin wrote:Cheap, young, bad
My favorite characteristics in a woman too ... come to think of it, that may be what endears Tenuki so to me!


Trioxin wrote:It's going to be tough to offend somebody who's willing to admit that.
You guys are cracking me up.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation