Are you new to the world of Puerh - Start here

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 15th, '08, 17:23

by kenp » Dec 15th, '08, 17:23

trent wrote:Ken, Chaikhana Tea Culture right across the street from the Bagelry is a great shop... especially if you like pu erh. I would highly recommend the pu-erh produced - not by a factory - but in small batches where a tea master oversees the entire process.
Trent,

Yes! I know the fellow who runs it. Very experienced and knowledgeable. I cut my teeth on pu'erh from his fine shop. He has a more limited stock than found on-line but I nevertheless pass through his doors every month or so. In fact, the bulk of my pu'erh tea has been purchased there. He's a good man.

Dec 18th, '08, 21:55

by toastedtoads » Dec 18th, '08, 21:55

Salsero wrote:
Cinnabar Red wrote: Is there any particular Pu that might tempt him?
This seems like the next step in constructing our "Intro to Pu" thread": A list of maybe 5-10 sheng pu samples and 5-10 shu pu samples for the beginner to order. Or something like that to get them off and tasting.
I have my fair share of sheng samples that I'm plowing through, most are quite delicious. I do, however, need a few suggestions for some shu cakes (as they seem to be fairly inexpensive) for some everyday drinking when I don't have the focus for an intensive tasting and just want a cup of tea. I also would like to not feel guilty if I don't go for as many infusions as the tea could and don't want to waste some of my expensive samples or generous bits of tea I've been given. I'd do shu samples, but that really doesn't seem necessary.

So any shu cakes from puerhshop.com (I'm impatient) that I should just grab for the everyday casual cuppa?

Jan 17th, '09, 19:23

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jan 17th, '09, 19:23

I know this may be redundant but thanks for putting this together for the members. Nicely done!
Good tea drinking,
Steve

Jul 9th, '10, 14:02

Re: Are you new to the world of Puerh - Start here

by TwoPynts » Jul 9th, '10, 14:02

Over a year after the last post but let me add my thanks for this thread as well. Very useful. I just learned about Pu-erh in the Tea Muse newsletter and have been reading up on it since then. A bit daunting to a newbie like me, much like jumping into the world of fine wine. :lol:

I'll have to see if there are any local Oriental shops that carry pu, but I did order 2006 Haiwan Ripe Pu-erh Tea Tribute Brick from Yunnan and some 2000 Mini Pu-erh Tea Brick from the Puerh Shop. Something to get my feet wet. And this thread certainly helped. Thanks again!

+ Post Reply