hello

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Sep 14th, '09, 00:13

hello

by JazzNGreenTea » Sep 14th, '09, 00:13

Hello all, This would be my first post here at teachat, however I've been reading the forum for quite a while already. It's probably been several years since I've found the forum.

I actually came here to learn about brewing teas. I knew nothing prior to reading this forum. So, thanks to everyone for their knowledge on the subject.

I first became interested in loose leaf teas when I took a trip to Japan in about 2003 and purchased a 100 gram bag of sencha. I then left it sit at home for approximately six months, and then tried to brew it in a large teapot with boiling water. As you can guess, that did not turn out so well, and I decided to go back to bagged teas for another few years.

I came to become a big fan of Japanese Green Teas once I got the hang of brewing them, so I would say those are my favorites currently. I do enjoy trying many different types though.

I'm not sure that I know enough to contribute a lot to the conversation here, but I'd like to try to join in a bit. I won't go into the whole story but I had to let my Shincha that I spend quite a bit of money on go stale, and then recently reverted to bagged teas for a while. (a small illness made the caffeine intolerable and now the sencha just reminds me of not feeling good.) So, currently I might not have a lot to contribute, but I wanted to say hi awhile. Hopefully I'll be back to drinking the loose stuff very soon, though I'm still a bit iffy on whether or not to drink all of that rapidly declining green tea.

I can't believe I'm finally posting, so go easy on me. I like to read forums, but I rarely get as far as posting. I really like this one and everyone seems very nice though so I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks for reading my (hopefully not too lengthy) intro.

Sep 14th, '09, 00:37

Re: hello

by chamekke » Sep 14th, '09, 00:37

Welcome to TeaChat, JazzN!

That was a wonderful first post, and I appreciate hearing about your history with sencha and caffeinated teas. A lot of us have similar experiences (my hubby has had to abandon caffeine entirely), so you are in good company here.

One thing though, if you own a tea that you simply don't enjoy, I feel that you should never force yourself to finish it. Shoot, you never know - you might find someone here who'll swap it for something you do like!

Sep 14th, '09, 00:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 14th, '09, 00:43

Watch out for the TeaBullies around here. :D Just kidding. Welcome to TeaChat. Glad you joined us. Please don't be a stranger. Something you don't know, just ask.

Sep 14th, '09, 01:01

by Victoria » Sep 14th, '09, 01:01

Welcome!! I love your avatar.
:)

Sep 14th, '09, 01:05

by olivierco » Sep 14th, '09, 01:05

Welcome!

Sep 14th, '09, 06:17

by Trey Winston » Sep 14th, '09, 06:17

Welcome :D

Sep 14th, '09, 07:37

by Mrs. Chip » Sep 14th, '09, 07:37

Hello JazzNGreen and Welcome to TeaChat!
Is 'Jazz' another one of your passions? We have a JazzFest every year in our home town that draws jazz artists from all over the globe!

Sep 14th, '09, 13:17

by JazzNGreenTea » Sep 14th, '09, 13:17

Thanks to everyone for the comments on my first post!

Chamekke, Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad the first post passed muster. :D I believe the caffeine sensitivity mostly hits me when I'm sick. That is a bit sad though isn't it? I can't enjoy a soothing cup of tea when I'm sick. I usually switch to herbal teas then, so I manage. It's really ashame for those that can't handle it any time.

As far as the current tea dilemma. I am going to give it a little more time to try to get over the fear of drinking it. I will remember your advice for future tea problems, but for this one I really did like the teas so I think I need to get over the mental block and at least try to drink the unopened packs that might still be fresh enough. I apparently have associated drinking the shincha with feeling sick, and it's probably best for me to face that and move on, and perhaps get back to exploring teas soon.

Mrs. Chip, I cannot say that Jazz is a passion, but I do enjoy listening to it from time to time. I think I was sitting here listening to Jazz when I made the screen name and it just seems appropriate at the time.

I was recently to a Jazz concert (two different quartets), played the sax at one time, took a college course on Jazz, and love to listen to Jazz especially while cooking or baking! I can't claim to know a lot about the finer points though.

That JazzFest is very intriguing , what time of year does that occur? If I remember correctly from reading previous posts you and Chip are somewhere in the region of my area as I'm from PA. (not to sound like a stalker :shock: ) So, I might have to look into this festival a bit more. Thanks so much for mentioning it.

Sep 14th, '09, 15:41

by geeber1 » Sep 14th, '09, 15:41

Welcome to TeaChat!

Sep 14th, '09, 18:16

by yorkimom » Sep 14th, '09, 18:16

HI,
I am new to this chat room,but love my tea.My Grandparents were from Irland,so I was introduce to tea(green)at a very young age.I was a big coffee drinker,but now only drink tea.In fact I just ordered more from Adaigo.I really like herbal,green,white and decaf.But truthfully I haven't found any yet I don't like,except liptonsRight now I am having a cup of cocomint with just a touch of vanilla cream in it,yummmmm.

Vicki from Texas

Sep 14th, '09, 20:35

by Robert Fornell » Sep 14th, '09, 20:35

Yokousou!!!

Welcome and glad to have you here!

Best wishes,
Ronin
Last edited by Robert Fornell on Sep 14th, '09, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 14th, '09, 21:33
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Sep 14th, '09, 21:33

Aim for teas that are high in theanine (shade grown Japanese, Chinese white/yellow teas, and yes, even matcha in moderation) to counter undesirable effects of caffeine.

Welcome to TeaChat.

Sep 15th, '09, 01:24

by JazzNGreenTea » Sep 15th, '09, 01:24

Thank you for that information Intuit, I will keep that in consideration.

Once again, thanks all for the welcome. I will be searching around the forum for other areas to join in the conversation.

Also, welcome Yorkimom, nice to hear from another new person.

Sep 15th, '09, 01:47

by Victoria » Sep 15th, '09, 01:47

Welcome yorkimom, glad to have you with us also!

Sep 15th, '09, 15:53

by Dreamer » Sep 15th, '09, 15:53

Welcome to both newbies!
This is a great place to learn how to spend money quickly...uhh...heh...I mean, it is a great place to learn about tea and teaware!

Have fun,
Dreamer

+ Post Reply