Oct 30th, '12, 13:46
Scrolling: fixed

Looking for all iron tetsubin with no enamel inside

by teanovice78 » Oct 30th, '12, 13:46

Hello, I was wondering where I can buy an all cast iron tetsubin with no enamel inside. I have read that the iron improves the taste and may have health benefits. If anyone knows of stores online I'd appreciate it. Thanks and have a good one!

Oct 30th, '12, 15:03
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Looking for all iron tetsubin with no enamel inside

by Chip » Oct 30th, '12, 15:03

Do you want new or used? You will usually pay a lot more for new.

Artisticnippon.com has new ones. Lots on ebay used.

Oct 30th, '12, 15:16

by beecrofter » Oct 30th, '12, 15:16

Inside could be shot peened or sandblasted if you find one you love that has enamel inside.

Oct 30th, '12, 17:28
Scrolling: fixed

by teanovice78 » Oct 30th, '12, 17:28

Beecrofter and Chip,
Thanks for the ideas. I saw a nice one on ebay for about 35 bucks. I am waiting for contact from the seller on a couple questions. I am wondering where I could find a sandblaster in omaha that would do that. What kind of business would shot peen something?

Oct 30th, '12, 18:09

by Chip » Oct 30th, '12, 18:09

Just an IMHO ...

I am skeptical of the sandblasting idea as there could be incomplete enamel removal leaving possible leaching issues. Hard to reach areas such as the spout and nonvisible area around the rim seem especially problematic. I personally would not want to take such a risk.

Also, often teapot tetsubin are more mass produced and may not be up for the rigors of direct heat and direct exposures to water. They were not designed to be placed on direct heat. Shapes are often flatter compared to kettle tetsubin as well.

Oct 30th, '12, 21:53

by the_economist » Oct 30th, '12, 21:53

Chip makes a good point. I would be very hesitant to use an enameled tetsubin that has its lining taken off as if it were an unlined one. Quality of the iron can vary a lot, and who knows what goes into enameled tetsubins (since it wasn't built with the iron being foodgrade in mind anyway).

Oct 31st, '12, 01:29
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Oct 31st, '12, 01:29

I have no hard evidence on this but my gut feeling is you can't make a silk purse out of sow's ear. If you want a tetsubin buy a tetsubin if you want a teapot buy a teapot.

Oct 31st, '12, 03:07

by theredbaron » Oct 31st, '12, 03:07

teanovice78 wrote: Thanks for the ideas. I saw a nice one on ebay for about 35 bucks.

There are reasons why high quality tetsubin are expensive.
I would suggest to work with a normal kettle first, and when you advanced in skill etc, to spend money to buy a good quality tetsubin (or clay kettle). Buying lots of cheap stuff that you discard sooner or later can turn out more expensive than buying once an expensive high quality item.

Nov 1st, '12, 01:37

by Tead Off » Nov 1st, '12, 01:37

teanovice78 wrote:Hello, I was wondering where I can buy an all cast iron tetsubin with no enamel inside. I have read that the iron improves the taste and may have health benefits. If anyone knows of stores online I'd appreciate it. Thanks and have a good one!
If I were going to buy a tetsubin, I would look at these 2 sources:
http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaido/greentea.htm
www.hojotea.com

The best reason to buy from Hojo is his thorough knowledge of his products and the quality that he offers. Plus he speaks English well. I have been to his shop and handled many of the tetsubin. Large selection. All activated iron without enamel.

Nov 4th, '12, 06:48

by tkellyd » Nov 4th, '12, 06:48

Hello teanovice78;

You might try ebay again and look for antique tetsubin, not teapot. Get to know the difference before you buy to avoid getting something that you really don't want.

You might also try Jauce.com, that has more tetsubin than a little bit and can run anywhere from 1000 yen to 25,000 dollars. Be aware of the shipping cost, though, which can run upward of 80 dollars for a large tetsubin.

For new tetsubin, I agree with the others, go to Hojo or Horaido.

Hope this helps,

- T

+ Post Reply