Japanese tea samples- where from?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 23rd, '14, 08:39

by napoleon » Dec 23rd, '14, 08:39

I'm interested in trying matcha and sencha. But I don't want to buy a large/r quantity as I have no idea what they taste like. I can read all about the vegetal, bitter/sweet... taste, but it's one thing reading about them, and quite another tasting them.

So, where from could one order samples of jap teas, mid quality/price, 5-10 grams, shipped to Europe?
The other question is, how could one prepare matcha without the whisk? I don't want to buy one just to find out I don't like the taste of matcha and have it sit on my shelf and waste space.

Dec 23rd, '14, 09:18

by bonescwa » Dec 23rd, '14, 09:18

You can use a regular kitchen whisk

Dec 23rd, '14, 11:47

by demonyc » Dec 23rd, '14, 11:47

I think Ippodo sells 10g portions of some of their offerings, but I seem to remember it was mostly their higher-end sencha and gyokuro. Still a good way to get exposure to several different types of Japanese tea though, I'd say. :)

Dec 23rd, '14, 14:48

by mcrdotcom » Dec 23rd, '14, 14:48

Maiko tea has a 5 premium Gyokuro set, I know it's not sencha or matcha but it is Japanese green tea, and well worth it! :)

Dec 26th, '14, 14:39

Re: Japanese tea samples- where from?

by theroots » Dec 26th, '14, 14:39

yunomi.us has almost always small samples. It's a good point to start with. And I think they just send a 20% off promotion a few hours ago. ;)

Matcha samples on the other hand are rather rar since matcha anyway is sold in small amounts (20/30g).

Dec 26th, '14, 23:49

by Tead Off » Dec 26th, '14, 23:49

napoleon wrote:I'm interested in trying matcha and sencha. But I don't want to buy a large/r quantity as I have no idea what they taste like. I can read all about the vegetal, bitter/sweet... taste, but it's one thing reading about them, and quite another tasting them.

So, where from could one order samples of jap teas, mid quality/price, 5-10 grams, shipped to Europe?
The other question is, how could one prepare matcha without the whisk? I don't want to buy one just to find out I don't like the taste of matcha and have it sit on my shelf and waste space.
Samples are good for people who are very familiar with brewing tea and know how to get the most out of them. If you are not familiar with these teas and how to brew, a 5g sample will probably not be sufficient for you to get the brewing right to begin with. My suggestion to you is read some of the threads where people talk about what they are drinking and how they like it. Many sellers have 50g bags of sencha that will allow you to really get into brewing a particular tea. Experimentation is almost always needed with Japanese teas. They are finicky and very influenced by temp and leaf quantity with a particular brewing vessel. Try to find some teas that people really like and buy some 50g packs. You will learn much more than with small samples.

As for matcha, you will not get the preparation or understand its qualities with a 5g sample. Buy a small can 30-40g of a matcha that posters think highly of and practice preparing and tasting it. You will learn much more this way. Good luck.

Jan 1st, '15, 16:35

by napoleon » Jan 1st, '15, 16:35

Thanks all for the responses guys.

Tead Off, you have given me some food for thought. When I think about it, you have a point. Thing is, I'd like to try the teas properly, with all the equipment but don't have enough money to try them all at once.
Also, it's better to research a bit more so I know what exactly to buy.

Now off to buy a nice chawan, matcha and a whisk as I'd like to try matcha first. I've found a nice Mino Yaki chawan I like- would it be a good choice for a beginner?

Jan 2nd, '15, 10:14

by Pig Hog » Jan 2nd, '15, 10:14

A few of the online vendors sell beginner sets with a decent chawan, chasen and chashaku. Perhaps look into one of those?

Nothing wrong with a Minoyaki chawan of your own choosing, though.

Jan 2nd, '15, 10:14

by Pig Hog » Jan 2nd, '15, 10:14

A few of the online vendors sell beginner sets with a decent chawan, chasen and chashaku. Perhaps look into one of those?

Nothing wrong with a Minoyaki chawan of your own choosing, though.

Jan 8th, '15, 02:40

by napoleon » Jan 8th, '15, 02:40

As for the beginner sets, I'd rather not clutter my place with various chawans- I'd rather buy one I really like that will last. The beginner sets have chawans that are very basic looking and I know it won't be long before I'll want to buy a new one.

OK, so I ordered the Chiran Sencha and Uji Matcha Kiri no Mori from O-Cha. I guess I should get the general feel of the jap green tea taste after I go through these.

Now onto hardware- I can't seem to find out, is this kyusu glazed or not?
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... anguage=en

Other than the ippodo small kyusu, is there any other glazed/porcelain small kyusu for 1 person? Glazed so that I can mix teas I brew in it.

PS. Anyone know about the seller sazentea? Has some nice small kyusus (150ml) but I can't see the price since I'm not registered. And I can't seem to find any info on them on the net... :?

Jan 8th, '15, 03:59

by Tead Off » Jan 8th, '15, 03:59

napoleon wrote:Now onto hardware- I can't seem to find out, is this kyusu glazed or not?
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... anguage=en
This doesn't appear to be glazed, maybe polished on the exterior. I would tend to be careful with Tokoname clays of this color. They are not the 'traditional' shudei (vermillion) mud. I've asked some vendors what this clay is and no one could tell me. It is probably a white clay with oxides added for color. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

Jan 8th, '15, 12:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 8th, '15, 12:33

Definitely not glazed. And not a slip added either as the color goes all the way through (I broke the handle a few years ago). I know nothing of the clay source or additives. I got it back when just finding a good kyusu was a victory ...

I have had one of these from Rishi for years. The holes are actually so fine that fukamushi tends to really clog it up when pouring. The first steep or so come out ok, but not so well beyond early steeps.

It is a decent Kyusu ...

Jan 8th, '15, 13:56

by napoleon » Jan 8th, '15, 13:56

OK, so no go on that kyusu. Any other options for a glazed/porcelain kyusu?
Maybe this houhin? http://www.teatrekker.com/japanese-whit ... in-houhins
As I said, it'd be mostly used for sencha (and sometimes white and green chinese teas).

Jan 8th, '15, 15:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 8th, '15, 15:05

.. well ... might give you problems with fuka ...

Artisticnippon.com has a lot of kyusu that will brew anything.

Jan 9th, '15, 04:13

by napoleon » Jan 9th, '15, 04:13

Can't find any porcelain ones on the site :?
What about this kyusu (I've found a 200ml version also)- http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.p ... cts_id/821

+ Post Reply