Can I Store my Shou Pu-Erh in a Straw Basket?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 20th, '15, 10:44

Can I Store my Shou Pu-Erh in a Straw Basket?

by AFOL » Mar 20th, '15, 10:44

I've only very recently gotten into pu'er (I'm still working on my very first tuo), and I've been using a lot of makeshift solutions, like using a glazed teapot since the only Yixing I have is already seasoned for Tieguanyin. Another makeshift solution is storage--I've been simply wrapping the tuo back up in its original wrapper and keeping it in a cupboard. Now, this isn't as bad as it seems--I live in Colorado Springs, which is known for its thin, extremely dry air, so there's pretty much no chance of moisture getting in. Seriously, we have practically no humidity.

Anyway, my dad recently came back from Rwanda, and he brought us back a basket (with a lid) that I noticed was the perfect shape and size for keeping pu-erh. Because it's woven from straw, it even has a hint of the same scent that my pu-erh has. I was wondering--is this a good way to store pu-erh? Or would it affect the tea (or the basket) negatively?

Mar 20th, '15, 11:32

Re: Can I Store my Shou Pu-Erh in a Straw Basket?

by steanze » Mar 20th, '15, 11:32

Hi AFOL,

while oolongs need to be stored dry, a humidity level of 60-70% and a temperature around 80 fahrenheit is preferred for pu erh. The dry climate in Colorado Springs is not very helpful for pu erh.

A few example solutions:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20436
http://deathbytea.blogspot.com/2015/03/ ... orage.html

I hope this helps :)

Mar 20th, '15, 11:46

by AFOL » Mar 20th, '15, 11:46

Wow--that's good to know! I guess I'm so used to being in the best place to store so many things (books, instruments, other tea, etc.) that I assumed it would be good for pu-erh, as well! I'll have to find a more humid spot to keep my tuo!

When I do find that humid spot, would the basket be good for storage? Or should I find something else?

Mar 20th, '15, 12:23

by steanze » Mar 20th, '15, 12:23

If the spot is humid the basket should be fine as long as it does not give off a strong smell to the tea.
Another possibility, in the absence of a humid spot, is to use a crock and put a humidifier in it. I use Ohio stoneware crocks with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Color ... 3385b8c0e1

Musical instruments, if made of wood, could also benefit from some humidity. Humidifiers here: http://www.humistat.com/ :wink:

On the other hand, if it's really dry you can consider aging oolongs (e.g. dancong) :)

Mar 20th, '15, 20:35

by mr mopu » Mar 20th, '15, 20:35

steanze wrote:If the spot is humid the basket should be fine as long as it does not give off a strong smell to the tea.
Another possibility, in the absence of a humid spot, is to use a crock and put a humidifier in it. I use Ohio stoneware crocks with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Color ... 3385b8c0e1

Musical instruments, if made of wood, could also benefit from some humidity. Humidifiers here: http://www.humistat.com/ :wink:

On the other hand, if it's really dry you can consider aging oolongs (e.g. dancong) :)
+1 on the straw having no odor.If you plan on obtaining a larger quantity you will need a "pumidor" to store properly. Tuos are usually very hard compressed so it can take decades in storage to age them. Cakes and loose "maocha" age much quicker except for XiaGuan cakes . They are highly compressed and sometimes referred to as "Iron Cakes".

Mar 21st, '15, 00:18

by AFOL » Mar 21st, '15, 00:18

That makes sense. I don't think I'm going to age my pu-erh just yet (though maybe I'll look into a "pumidor"--what a delightful name!--at some point in the future); I'm thinking more of short-term storage as I make my way through the tuo (or beeng, which I might get next time).

Mar 21st, '15, 03:33

by AdmiralKelvinator » Mar 21st, '15, 03:33

For the record, I think it's generally an accepted practice to store cakes and tuos "as is" in a cupboard and do a little humidity control on the side.

The way I've seen jars, crocks, and baskets used is to "air out" puer that has been stored in humid conditions: ie for cakes and tuos that have been aged for many years and then broken up to be consumed in the near future. For airing out, having a vessel with the right amount of circulation (not totally airtight) is important I think, so if your tuo is an old one that basket might be ideally suited.

The humidity of the environment has a large effect on how cakes age, but if you are not planning to age your own cakes and are in more "drink now" phase then building a pumidor might be a bit cart-before-the-horse. Once you take that step and build your own space, you'll need to justify the expense and effort with more and more cakes, and before you know it you'll be sitting on more tea that you could drink in your lifetime.
It's a slippery slope, enjoy the ride :)

Mar 21st, '15, 21:43

by mr mopu » Mar 21st, '15, 21:43

AdmiralKelvinator wrote:For the record, I think it's generally an accepted practice to store cakes and tuos "as is" in a cupboard and do a little humidity control on the side.

The way I've seen jars, crocks, and baskets used is to "air out" puer that has been stored in humid conditions: ie for cakes and tuos that have been aged for many years and then broken up to be consumed in the near future. For airing out, having a vessel with the right amount of circulation (not totally airtight) is important I think, so if your tuo is an old one that basket might be ideally suited.

The humidity of the environment has a large effect on how cakes age, but if you are not planning to age your own cakes and are in more "drink now" phase then building a pumidor might be a bit cart-before-the-horse. Once you take that step and build your own space, you'll need to justify the expense and effort with more and more cakes, and before you know it you'll be sitting on more tea that you could drink in your lifetime.
It's a slippery slope, enjoy the ride :)
Well said on more than you can drink. But hey the grand-kids may love it!
:mrgreen:

+ Post Reply