Brewing High Mountain Oolong with Gaiwan

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 16th, '09, 11:41
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 16th, '09, 11:41

Tead Off wrote:
nimpercent wrote:I also have just received two samplers from TeaFromTaiwan.com! Hope you like them, I have only tried the aged and four seasons so far, good stuff.
Teafromtaiwan really has some great teas. The Da Yu Ling is one of my favorites. Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of the 4 seasons or the aged tea. Not that they are bad, just not my taste.

Can't say enough good things about Taiwan Oolong. Using red clay teapot is really a superior way of getting the full benefit out of these teas. Side by side with gaiwan, the difference is immense, the flavor deeper, fuller, longer lasting.

How much leaf? This will depend on your taste. Some like strong, some like weak. More leaf, less time. I found that I would use a whole sampler in a 150ml pot and adjust times after the 1st infusion which would be 15 to 30sec. There are no rules, just taste.......
Da Yu Ling is one of my favorites too. $$$. Have you try it using rolling boil water in a silver pot , other words, super heated? That's what the master do :wink:

Apr 18th, '09, 13:22

by Tead Off » Apr 18th, '09, 13:22

Yes, it's not cheap.

I have not tried it the way you describe in a silver pot, only zhu ni pot. Generally, I like the water to be just before boiling, maybe 95c.

+ Post Reply