Brewing High Mountain Oolong with Gaiwan

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 6th, '09, 16:30

Brewing High Mountain Oolong with Gaiwan

by esabet » Apr 6th, '09, 16:30

I just received my Sample High Mountain Oolong Teas from Tea from Taiwan.

Here is a link to ALL the samples I purchased: http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/index.php? ... a671182e14

I will be using a 120cc Gaiwan to brew and was wondering what is the best way to brew using a Gaiwan for these teas. i.e. how many grams of tea and seeping time!

Thank you.

Apr 6th, '09, 16:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Brewing High Mountain Oolong with Gaiwan

by Chip » Apr 6th, '09, 16:49

esabet wrote:I just received my Sample High Mountain Oolong Teas from Tea from Taiwan.

Here is a link to ALL the samples I purchased: http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/index.php? ... a671182e14

I will be using a 120cc Gaiwan to brew and was wondering what is the best way to brew using a Gaiwan for these teas. i.e. how many grams of tea and seeping time!

Thank you.
I am far from an expert, but a gram per ounce water seems to work for me. 120 ml is 4 ounces.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 6th, '09, 18:03

by scruffmcgruff » Apr 6th, '09, 18:03

The way I do it is to add enough leaf so the bottom of the gaiwan is covered with leaf, at most two tea pellets/balls/whatever deep. Give it a 45 second infusion at first to open up the leaves. Use the gaiwan lid to evenly distribute the wet leaf, and brew again for around 30 seconds. If it's too weak, brew longer next time, if it's too strong, brew for less time. Ideally, the leaf should come right up to the gaiwan lid (without pushing it up too much) when fully expanded.

Apr 7th, '09, 13:22

by nimpercent » Apr 7th, '09, 13:22

I also have just received two samplers from TeaFromTaiwan.com! Hope you like them, I have only tried the aged and four seasons so far, good stuff.

Apr 7th, '09, 13:56

by esabet » Apr 7th, '09, 13:56

Do you use BOILING (212 degree) water for the High Mountain Teas as well? (I assume YES!).
"Being happy doesn't mean every thing's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

"If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough."

Apr 7th, '09, 18:54

by tsverrir » Apr 7th, '09, 18:54

Each bag is good for two sessions in a 120 cl gaiwan.
I would not use full boiling water. I would go for ~95°c for the greener ones. Rolling boil for the aged oolong and just off boil for the gaba.

I envy you, These two sample sets were my introduction into the world of oolong. I had so much fun with it.

Apr 7th, '09, 20:17

by wyardley » Apr 7th, '09, 20:17

esabet wrote:Do you use BOILING (212 degree) water for the High Mountain Teas as well? (I assume YES!).
I would use water that's literally just off the boil. If the tea doesn't taste good, maybe it can't handle the higher temperatures, and you need to back off a little.

Apr 8th, '09, 00:11

by scruffmcgruff » Apr 8th, '09, 00:11

In real life the water will never quite be 212F when it gets to your tea leaves, but yes I like to use water that is just off the boil. As long as you keep your infusions relatively short you shouldn't have any problems, but as wyardley mentioned, not all teas behave like they should. :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Apr 8th, '09, 06:31

by tsverrir » Apr 8th, '09, 06:31

My experience with the high mountain Taiwanese oolongs is that you can ruin the leaves using too hot water so I say start with a slightly cooler water (95c) and up the heat a bit if you think the tea can handle it.

Apr 8th, '09, 08:28

by esabet » Apr 8th, '09, 08:28

I just tried a couple of the samples.

So far they are great and like to thank you all for the help.

Each package is about 5 grams. So assuming the general rule being 1 gram per oz. then I just used the whole package and was able to at least 4 of 5 servings but must admit nothing is like the first two servings!
"Being happy doesn't mean every thing's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

"If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough."

Apr 8th, '09, 10:08

by edkrueger » Apr 8th, '09, 10:08

You really need to go as hot as possible to get the full flavor. Fruit notes will not come out well below boiling.

Apr 15th, '09, 23:51

by selwyn » Apr 15th, '09, 23:51

esabet wrote:I just received my Sample High Mountain Oolong Teas from Tea from Taiwan.

Thank you.
In Taiwan, the official rating procedure is:
1. 3 grams tea leaves with 150mL "boiling" water
2. Immersion for five to six minutes
3. Use china instead of pottery.

Well manufactured tea is capable of long time immersion~

Apr 16th, '09, 00:03

by MarshalN » Apr 16th, '09, 00:03

selwyn wrote:

I really wouldn't use that as the way to drink and enjoy tea though.

Apr 16th, '09, 01:05

by selwyn » Apr 16th, '09, 01:05

MarshalN wrote:
selwyn wrote:

I really wouldn't use that as the way to drink and enjoy tea though.
me either..:)

i think it might help to find out which sample is better.
in my mind...choosing well manufactured tea is thought to be more important than how to brew it.

many beginners don't know how to choose tea, so a standard process to brew tea helps to tell.

Apr 16th, '09, 10:10

by Tead Off » Apr 16th, '09, 10:10

nimpercent wrote:I also have just received two samplers from TeaFromTaiwan.com! Hope you like them, I have only tried the aged and four seasons so far, good stuff.
Teafromtaiwan really has some great teas. The Da Yu Ling is one of my favorites. Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of the 4 seasons or the aged tea. Not that they are bad, just not my taste.

Can't say enough good things about Taiwan Oolong. Using red clay teapot is really a superior way of getting the full benefit out of these teas. Side by side with gaiwan, the difference is immense, the flavor deeper, fuller, longer lasting.

How much leaf? This will depend on your taste. Some like strong, some like weak. More leaf, less time. I found that I would use a whole sampler in a 150ml pot and adjust times after the 1st infusion which would be 15 to 30sec. There are no rules, just taste.......

+ Post Reply